• October 02, 2024, 06:35:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: 2020 platform?  (Read 4545 times)

reini

• View Profile
2020 platform?
« on: June 14, 2019, 05:13:09 PM »

I'd like to start a little discussion here. What do you think 2020 will bring for Energica? I keep seeing Energica mentioning a new platform for next year (e.g. https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/motogp/motoe-energica-ego-corsa/). I'm in the market of buying an Esseesse 9, but my dealer won't get any before July. Should I wait for next year and keep riding my current ICE bike for one more year?
Energica SS9+

zugvogel

• View Profile
Re: 2020 platform?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 11:14:28 PM »

He is definitely giving away a number of hints as to what they are working on... and it sounds like early next year as a release date.
Well, you could wait or try to get one of the remaining 2018 inventory bikes they seem to still be having (Eva/Ego) at a good price:
https://www.energicamotorusa.com/special-promotions/

I am sure you can get it for less than that if the announcement of the next generation is imminent...
...loving my Eva

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »

I would get an Essesse now instead of waiting. There are a lot of threads on this forum about this sort of thing. Next year will always bring new refinements and better capability, sometimes there are big leaps, sometime just small improvements but if you wait for next year you will find it never really comes and before you know it 5+ years have gone by and you are still chasing and waiting on next years improvements. Go buy it now and enjoy. Energica makes awesome bikes, love my Eva 107.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 07:10:20 PM »

The other thing about motorcycle updates, new model releases, tires, and various other stuff, is that prices always seem to go up, not down.  So if you are happy with the current Energica models and their prices, I would get one now.  Besides their platforms have been shown to be reliable and quite functional, which may not be the case with an entirely new platform when it first enters the consumer market.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

boardwalk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 07:55:40 AM »

If they can drop some significant weight with this new battery pack they're teasing I might be on board. ~600 lbs is just a bit much.

If they can also do a design refresh, even more so. I'm not so much a fan of the headlight situation on any of their bikes. If they could borrow the form from the MotoE Ego and integrate headlights into that fairing that'd be sweet. -- I'm not expecting Ducati or MV Augusta but it is Italian...

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 01:41:50 PM »

Energica are offering 2018 and 2019 demos for good  prices, with 2 year warranty.  Unless you want new this is interesting I think. #MyElectricDeal(er)

2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 08:02:23 AM »

Even as it stands right now Energica's most modest offering, the SS9, outperforms everything else available right now. It's always wonderful to see improvements, but as it stands right now these bikes are amazing.

Also, I think it's been mentioned before, Brandon (Electric Cowboy) and I have access to some demo fleet EVAs at very attractive prices if you've been on the fence.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 07:43:23 PM »

I was a bit confused by Energica’s model year references. From what I read, 2019 Energicas received traction control, cruise control, and improvements to charging speeds.

When I bought mine yesterday, I was told that it’s technically the 2020 models receiving those upgrades (fortunately my SS9 is a 2020 model).

I read that article and although I don’t expect it, it would be nice if there was a way to upgrade the existing bikes to whatever battery/VCU/motor technology will achieve that 125 mile range that’s independent of riding style but I don’t really see how they will achieve that without going to a 20kw battery or larger.

Keeping my eyes peeled for future articles regarding what will probably be 2021 model upgrades.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

siai47

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 03:31:53 AM »

Trying to decide if I should purchase a Energica Eva or a Zero SR/F.  Test drive on a Ego was not to my liking because of the weight and high CG.  Salesman said that the problem is the low bar height on the Ego giving you no leverage when trying to get it off the side stand or drive at low speeds.  They are trying to get an Eva for me to drive to see if the riding position and bar height solves the issue.  I have driven motorcycles much heavier than the Ego but never felt as out of control at low speeds as I did on the Ego.  2020 Eva and SR/F are within a few hundred dollars of each other.  I like the stone quiet ride of the belt drive no gears Zero.  However, in a hot climate I am a little worried about the cooling of the motor and controller with just ambient air.  The Eva has an oil cooled motor and water cooled inverter which is a better choice.  I like the CCS DC charging capability on the Eva vs. the 6 Kw AC charging on the Zero.  The Eva has over 100 more pounds of "road hugging weight" than the Zero which is a disadvantage at low speeds in the city but shouldn't be as much of a problem on the highway.  Fit and finish is superior on the Energica---way more motorcycle for your hard earned dollars.

So, some of you guys have owned/ridden both.  What should I look out for on either bike that would sway my purchase one way or the other.  I know there is a new "platform" coming for the Energica line and the only thing I could squeeze out of anyone is that it is maybe a year away but soon.  The big change is going to be in battery weight and capacity.  Sounds like we are going to get the 20 Kwh race bike battery which is supposed to be lighter than the current battery.  looks like the motor and gearbox remain the same.  They also said that all motors across the line are the same limited to 150 Kw (200 hp).  Software and hardware limits the power output on various models.  They also said that even though the new battery could be installed in an existing bike, the change would be cost prohibitive and if I bought an existing bike this close to the new bike release that they would guarantee me a fixed trade in price on the used bike when the new one is released.  So what to do?   
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 04:36:56 AM »

Both bikes are very good. At the end of the day, you have to ride them all. For me, it boiled down to the riding position. I found the EsseEsse9 fit me better than either the Eva or the SR/F. I didn't even try the Ego because I knew that riding position was out for me.

As was said so well before...if the current models fill your range/charging needs and the riding position fits you...don't wait. If you need the improvements that are in the pipeline then definitely wait for whenever they make their way down to the production models.

That's the best advice I can offer...only you know your needs and which bike makes you smile more every time you ride it.  ;)

On a different note, I've grown to really enjoy the sound the Energica produces while riding. It definitely causes pedestrians to do a double-take when I ride through town.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 04:39:51 AM by BigPoppa »
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »

I own an Eva 107 and have ridden an SR/F. The biggest difference between them comes down to charging. I have done multi-day trips on a SR charging with 6.3 kW and my Eva with CCS. Will never buy another electric motorcycle without CCS charging. Last year rode over 400 miles in one day on the Blue Ridge Parkway using only CCS charging and not a big deal. Doing that kind of mileage using only L2 charging will take far longer and will not be fun. As far as performance goes the SR/F and the Eva 107 are very close 0-70. Above that the SR/F seemed to fade while the Eva still pulls strong. I think it comes down to how important is fast charging to you.

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 06:54:03 PM »

I have no experience on a SR/F, but lots on the Energicas. I have driven an Ego for a week and had the same experience as you. The Eva is easier; still a bit sporty position, but better maneuverable. If comfort, control and maneuverability is your thing, you really should try an Esse; drives even more easy than the Eva and devours twisty roads. Trade offs for Esse: 1. you cannot brag about it's being faster 0-60 than the SR/F 2. It corners so well, you scrape off brake pedal (which sits lower than Eva/Ego) easily.

I have never overheated an Energica.

2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

RFlashman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 12:22:08 AM »

We test drove both (the SR/F twice) and my wife selected the Eva and I am picking up an Esse Esse 9 next Friday. The Eva is closest to the SR/F sitting position. The Esse Esse 9 is a little more upright. I think you are up near Daytona? We are in Orlando, we can always meet up and let you check out the Eva. The 2020 Eva 107 is more powerful, but the ergonomics are identical to our Eva 80.

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »

Curious, does anyone know any details about the 20kWh battery Energica uses in their MotoE race bikes? Reportedly that battery may be the basis for their next gen of street bikes, and is much lighter in weight.
I'm assuming it's still liquid-cooled; what is the chemistry? AFAIU, a major weight saving would be difficult without switching from the current LiFePO4 to something else.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »

wavelet, The battery on the Energica's is not liquid cooled. It is air cooled and there are channels through the center of the battery to help with cooling. If you are riding in air temperatures in the 90's and doing multiple CCS charging you will heat the battery up and your charging speed will slow down. Performance never seemed to be effected though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5