• March 29, 2024, 05:32:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FX 7.2 Range Discussion  (Read 4854 times)

Jarrett

• View Profile
FX 7.2 Range Discussion
« on: May 29, 2019, 05:02:41 AM »

I figured this would be a good place to talk about the range of a FX 7.2.  It seems to be a frequent question around here.

I bought a 2019 FX 7.2 in February 2019.  I'm over 6 foot and around 265 lbs.  I'm a total data nerd, so I started tracking rides and performance immediately with the bike to find out what reality was.

Here are the ride stats from my last 15 rides to give you an idea of the range of the FX:

If you are substantially lighter, you might go a little farther than this.  There is a guy that weighs 155 lbs on the Facebook Zero Motorcycles Owners Group that says his FX gets better mileage than what I get on mine.  Most everyone else I talk to says my numbers match theirs and some even say they don't get as much as I'm showing above.

Basically, if you want to make 60 miles, you keep your average speed under 30 mph.  If you want to go 80 miles, keep it under 25 mph.  If you want to go 100 miles, keep it under 20 mph average.  Going over 30 mph average will make it drop fast.  Also, keep in mind cold temps reduce these numbers and higher temps increase them a bit.

I did another ride this week where I knew it was going to be a short ride, so I hammered it all the way:

Total Distance: 42.10 mi
Moving Time: 1:06:16
Average Speed: 38.1 mph
Elevation Gain: 1,798 ft
Max speed: 88.1 mph
Avg Air Temp: 81.5F
100% of the charge used. 

This is what the speeds of this ride looked like to average out to 38 mph:

You can see at the end of the graph where I was holding it wide open throttle and the bike was just continually slowing down as the charge faded away.

On this last ride, I just went out to have fun and run off the full charge of the battery.  At one point you can see on the graph, I ran the bike wide open throttle for a couple of miles (@88 mph) and ran it into thermal protection mode doing so and had to slow down for a while.  That ran the charge down a fair bit. 

After that, I went into town to run some errands and that's the slower mid section of the ride.  But even, after getting the charge in the 30% range, it still had enough to hit ~70 mph on the way home.  Once I got sub 10%, I could no longer hit 70 mph.  It was 65 mph, then it keeps dropping fast from there.  At say 6%, it won't hit 50 mph anymore.  By the time I got to my street, I was at 0% and it wouldn't go over 30 mph.

That's a weird thing to get used to with electric bikes.  Unlike gas bikes where the performance is consistent to the last drop of gas, the performance of an electric bike deteriorates as the charge goes down.  At 100% charge, the front wheel flies up on its own almost as it races up to 80mph.  Around 30%, 70 mph becomes the max speed.  At 7% charge, I can barely hit 40 mph and limp home.  All stuff I wish I would have known prior to buying a Zero and things to factor in on a ride. 

It takes 10-11 hours to recharge from 0%.  Also, something else to consider, the bike goes into thermal protection mode if you hold it at or above 70 mph for over 2 miles or so.  Going into thermal protection mode is NOT fun on the highway as it cuts power drastically.  If you can get by holding 65 mph for your longest highway stretch, the FX should be fine.  It's got plenty of power to be on the highway, passing power and such, but it just doesn't like holding those higher speeds for very long.

The FX was not designed for and really doesn't like going highway speeds for any length of time.  It's a great stop sign to stop sign bike, but its not cut out for long highway miles.  The DS/DSR fits that function better, I hear.

I've found the range estimator to be pretty accurate towards the end of the charge.

Multiple times now, I've gotten to 0% on a ride and then I start watching the range meter like a hawk.

I've rolled into the driveway after 2-3 miles on 0% and the range meter was at .4 miles remaining.

I watch it much more closely than state of charge for estimating miles.  So far, it has not led me astray.   

Granted I better be on a 30 mph road once it gets under 9% as that's about as fast as its going to go the rest of the way home.

I recently did a test.  I got on the highway and put it in eco mode and held it wide open at 70 miles an hour for several miles. And it didn't overheat. Then I turned around to go back and realize that I had an 18-20 mile-an-hour Tailwind. As soon as I turned around and did the same thing going the other direction, it overheated in about two to three miles.

I dropped it down to 60 miles an hour and let it cool off. The whole trip was 17 miles and I burned 47% of the charge in that time. I wonder if it could actually make 30 miles at 70 miles an hour or not.

On the way home, I thought I'd test it going 70 mph again but across the wind so it wouldn't be a head wind or tail wind.  I started at 50% and found a road and took off.  It took longer this time, but it over heated again.  But instead of slowing down, I just held it knowing that if it moved from the first stage of thermal protection to the second stage, it would slow me down anyway, but it never did.

So, I just kept running 70 mph until I hit 28% and then it started slowing me down.  69, 68, 67 mph.  At that point, I turned off to go home.  Then it got really fun.  The charge started dropping really fast.  I got down to 0% really quickly, then the bike died while the range meter still showed 1.6 miles left.  And the check engine light came on.

I turned it off and let it sit for a couple of minutes, then started it back up again.  To my surprise, it moved.  So I limped it home at 20 something mph as that is all it would go.  Engine light was on all the way home.  Rolled into the driveway with 0.3 miles left on range meter and turned it off.  Temp on the dash had cooled down to 172F.

I went to plug it in and it would not charge.

Here are the ride stats:

Distance: 34.31 mi (died at 33 miles initially)
Time: 47:48
Avg Speed: 43.1 mph
Avg Air Temp: 87.8 °F
Max Speed: 71.0 mph
Battery Used: 97% (started with 97%)

valnar

• View Profile
Re: FX 7.2 Range Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 05:22:20 AM »

That's just crazy bad.  Wow.  And I have my eyes on an FXS.  There's no other model that I want, or can practically afford.

My commute is 8 miles so no worries there.  My GF is 29 miles away and I could easily go 45-50mph most of the way.  I'd be run off the road if I went 30.  The travel time is around 50 minutes if I take the scenic route, so that looks the most like your 4/14/19 route.  That would be sufficient.  Assuming I don't tick her off, I can charge my bike overnight.  I'll have to plan our fights accordingly.  :)

I'm 6'4" and 200 pounds, hoping to lose about 10# this summer, but I probably have 8# of stuff in my backpack.
Zero FXS 2020

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 09:38:09 PM »

Lol, yes.  Be nice to her when you ride the FXS over, otherwise you'll be sleeping on a park bench waiting for enough charge to get home.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 12:40:05 AM »

I usually get 30-40 miles with lots of WOT on my 7.2 FXS. I've never gotten more than 60 miles but I could if I rode it more slowly. I'm also regeared with the chain for a top speed of 70. It uses less power at that speed than stock. I've never overheated on the freeway but it's pretty easy to overheat gunning around on slower roads.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 03:11:32 PM »

Hearing that you carry an extra 85 lb more than me, I'm no longer surprised your 7.2 seems to get less than my 6.5. The weight must have a big impact on overheating, not to mention the power consumption during stop-and-go.

At the moment I have only one repeated route on which to share consistent data (there is also my hypermiling thread).

On a loop of 60 miles and 3000 ft elevation gain, 1:55m duration / 31 mph average, 55-60 degrees, I return with 5% remaining in sport mode or 12% in eco mode, for an extrapolated range of 63 miles or 67 miles, respectively. 6' 180# plus gear, loaded top case, 100W of heated grips/jacket.

I don't like riding it on our local freeways full of traffic averaging 75 mph, dawdling in the right lane on a 300 lb bike. I'll frequently go for a few exits 3-5 miles at 60-65 mph when convenient, which by itself impacts range to the tune of 20%, and my default aggressive acceleration has a similar impact.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 03:50:17 AM »

Hearing that you carry an extra 85 lb more than me, I'm no longer surprised your 7.2 seems to get less

Check the post directly above you. I weigh 145 lbs and get similar range!

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 04:55:03 AM »

Check the post directly above you. I weigh 145 lbs and get similar range!

To be fair, I ride conservatively on occasions when the goal is 60+ miles. All other times, I'm WOT or 60 mph -- but then it takes several days to whittle down the battery and tracking consumption is unimportant.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 06:02:09 PM »

Average speed isn't the greatest way to look at range. 

For example, I have a 44 mile route that I periodically ride on my 2018 FXS that's almost all highway.   Here are two results:
AVG Speed  37 MPH  Battery used 50%
AVG Speed  37 MPH  Battery used 85%

The difference is that the traffic was steady on the first one, so I was going very close to the average speed the whole time.  The second one, sections were stop and go, and then there were breaks in traffic where I went a few miles going 80+ MPH.  Clearly a huge difference. 

Another significant factor is battery calibration.  I highly doubt that in the first scenario where I finished at 50% that I would have been able to go another 44 miles on the remaining "50%", i.e. I think the dash SOC over reported remaining charge.  In the second scenario, the dash SOC may have under reported due to voltage sag from a high speed run towards the end.  I've seen some of these effects, but haven't put effort into mining the data or using the Zero Voltage app as some have suggested is more accurate.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 06:56:06 PM by domingo3 »
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 07:20:13 PM »

Can you post up the specific details from your ride tracking app for those two rides?

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 11:32:26 PM »

Can you post up the specific details from your ride tracking app for those two rides?

This is only from the dashboard.  The trip-odometer gives distance.  The distance divided by time on the clock at arrival minus time at departure gives average speed.  SOC was also read on the dash.

Trip one:  Initial SOC 100%, start time 0638, arrival time 0750.  Final SOC 50%.  Trip distance 44.0 miles.
Trip two:  Initial SOC 100%, start time 0605, arrival time 0717.  Final SOC 15%.  Trip distance 44.2 miles.

I don't use any ride tracking app, which I know is not particularly helpful.  My main point was that you can get to an average speed in different ways, and a low standard deviation in speed contributes to a more efficient ride.  If there were no traffic to contend with, I'd do a series of trips at constant speed.  I suspect that would produce a nice graph of range or efficiency versus speed and it would start to drop more significantly above 40 MPH or so. 
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 01:12:46 AM »

It's hard to compare without similar data.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 03:08:56 AM »

Updated info:

Had an interesting thing happen today.  I was 14% on the way home, about 7 miles to go.

I put it in custom mode that has a max speed of 60 and held it wide open.  In about 3 miles, I was down to 5%.

I limped slowing down to sub 40 mph.  About 3 miles away from home, it dropped to 0% charge showing 2.0 miles on the range.

At a mile from from home, the range also hit zero.  I limped along at sub 20 mph speeds and made it home with 60.14 total miles with a average speed of 30.5, which is shown in the charge above.

I've never run it past zero on the range guesstimator before.  Nice to know it will do that.

So far on a 7.2 FX, it seems:

20 mph average = ~100 total miles
25mph average  = ~80 total miles
30mph average = ~60 total miles
35 mph average = ~50 total miles
40 mph average = ~40 total miles
45mph average = ~35 total miles

Compared to the marketing:

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 03:47:46 AM »

Wow, it's not even close.

Perhaps their test dummy weighed 95 pounds soaking wet.
Zero FXS 2020

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 01:16:22 PM »

The standard-conformant testing that Zero claims to use is rather complicated. In addition to a dynamometer calibrated to federal standards, it requires sensitive instruments for measuring tire pressure, wind speed, barometric pressure, humidity, mass. It assumes an 80 kg rider (176 lb).

https://www.mic.org/downloads/MIC-recommended-practice-riding-range-test-procedure-for-on-hwy-electric-motorcycles-042412.pdf
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:43:08 AM by Curt »

ChxCH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 08:12:46 PM »

Hi !

I don't have sats for my '19FX 2'000km so far, but my ranges appear to be (a litte) better.

Typically, I deal w/ city traffic and mountain roads (in Europe) with a range of 110km at less and 125km at best (68-77miles).
This means low average (50kmh or 31mph), but lot of braking-throtteling and with elevations.
That can't compare to straight and fast roads, where it would be lower I guess.
Pages: [1] 2 3