• October 05, 2024, 05:57:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE  (Read 7152 times)

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
Re: LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2019, 04:36:24 AM »

Even if they only build a bike once they have a specific prepaid order for it (not a business model that really works for vehicles in the US), they're still going to need demo bikes.

I am guessing you don't need demo bikes if you have no dealers or showrooms to put them in.   ;)  Seriously I have trouble ordering a item unseen from the internet let alone a motorcycle.  Now saying that I must admit that I too ordered the SR/F site unseen.  But at least in that case I test rode every major model Zero had, settled on the SR, talked with my dealer in detail who was at the reveal and had a comprehensive list of specs from Zero to go on.  Taking a chance yes but it is an educated one.  I wouldn't feel as comfortable with the information out on the Strike especially from a company that delivered what about 40 production bikes.  That is too much a chance.  I hope Lightning makes good.  Competition is always good.  Maybe Zero will keep the price of the power pack down in the fall to compete even stronger.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2019, 08:51:11 AM »

I too wonder how they can sell these bikes at these prices, provide support, and provide warranty service while remaining solvent. On the other hand they appear to be sort of following the Tesla model. No dealers (no profit sharing), limited number of configurations, and order straight from the manufacturer. Tesla also does all the paperwork online, but that takes knowing how the vehicle registration and tag works in each state. Somehow I doubt Lightning is that sophisticated. Also Tesla has delivery and service centers. Maybe the Lightning customer has to do some assembly and his own registration and tag. Or for an extra fee a local contractor does all that.

Lightning has also not revealed any warranty info that I’ve seen.
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2019, 08:54:58 AM »

I bought my Tesla Model 3 with nothing more than two minutes to sit in one. Most early reservation holders did the same, or less. The web and social media have really changed things.
Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2019, 09:00:49 AM »

There is no question that direct sales works for Tesla. But it didn't work for Zero and that is why Zero now has a dealer network.

minronnee

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2019, 09:30:54 AM »

This is becoming more fun than I thought it would be.

I agree its totally possible the comments about it not being ready could be 100% true.

it is also very possible that Lightening is following a business model.... And these guys have balls so I am rooting for them

I was so disappointed in SR/F ... I wanted Zero to come out swinging after all that hype.

But at the end of day the guy that wishes he could just ride motorcycles all day is seeing how the evolution is going.

When the Volt came out they took a huge loss and it changed the game.  Chevy money betting on the long term.

Im looking forward riding a bike that is safer easier and more cost effective that lets me hear the ocean, smell the air, ride next to cars that are on auto pilot so th drivers can text.... Im going to be riding and electric bike around this planet sooner because of it. Eating steak. That doesn't grow in fields with exhaust running through them 24 hours a day.

Lighting I hope Honda or BMW is behind you, Dell or Apple would be fine too.

Zero I really hope you have something else coming I'm holding out on an upgrade to mine because its starting to not look like a good bet.

This is going to be a blast.

Thank you to all the bad asses working late on your dream. Because you see how much fun ridding can be and you are making it happen.

THANK YOU.

(Please don't be another Beull/EBR ... Too many people that love ridding lost so much money.)

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2019, 08:10:27 PM »

I agree its totally possible the comments about it not being ready could be 100% true.

it is also very possible that Lightening is following a business model.... And these guys have balls so I am rooting for them

They've already got 20,000 sqft facilities outfitted both here and in China, so obviously there's some money in the operation. They have been VERY quiet about where it's coming from, however, and asking for 50% down isn't a good sign. Definitely smells like the company is cash hungry.

But at the end of day the guy that wishes he could just ride motorcycles all day is seeing how the evolution is going.

With the high-end Lightning (if it is as advertised, with 20kWh battery and 35-minute recharge time), I'm there. We're basically talking about two hours riding, a half hour charging. That's about as much as I can sit on a motorcycle long-term anyhow.

Lighting I hope Honda or BMW is behind you, Dell or Apple would be fine too.

We do know Apple is looking to get their....um...feet wet in the EV field. This seems like it would be an excellent first step. Apple has nothing but money and Lightning has nothing but product.

This is going to be a blast.
(Please don't be another Beull/EBR ... Too many people that love ridding lost so much money.)

Amen, brother. If this really happens, it could actually be the dawn of a robust electric motorcycle community. Two strong competitors offering really good bikes at attainable prices. It's kind of like being a car fan in the early 1900's.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2019, 08:10:50 PM »

My thought is that Lightning may be backed and funded by a large Chinese manufacturer as a way to get their products into "first world" markets without being too obvious.  ??? I might also add that Lightning had better obtain a retail vehicle license from various state DMV offices before selling them directly to customers.  Not doing that got both Brammo (in the case of Best Buy sales) and Electric Motorsport into trouble and both quickly decided to sell via established motorcycle retail outlets.

Not to say it can't be done, as CSC Motorcycles does direct-to-your-door motorcycle internet sales, but then they are selling products that most existing motorcycle shops can service and have worked out arrangements for them to do so if necessary.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2019, 08:41:54 PM »

Richard did you see the Electrek video in the new Lightning section?  The bike seems to be Chinese sized as well.  Maybe the guy is 6'8 but he makes that bike look like a ninja 250.  It looks like he can't even lay down and go aero without hitting his chin on the windscreen.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2019, 09:08:17 PM »

Richard did you see the Electrek video in the new Lightning section?  The bike seems to be Chinese sized as well.  Maybe the guy is 6'8 but he makes that bike look like a ninja 250.  It looks like he can't even lay down and go aero without hitting his chin on the windscreen.

I did watch the video and it didn't take long to become bored.  What exactly were they trying to show in that 3 minutes of slowly riding along a lonely ranch back road, while filming from a drone flying 500 feet in the air - along with a few shots of the front of the bike?  How about a video showing a walk-around of the Strike with commentary regarding its features and design?   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2019, 03:33:06 AM »

(apologies for quoting myself)
So, it's now two months since the unveiling.
AFAICS, there's been zero new info on Lightning's website or elsewhere on the the points below -- specs, how-to-buy, warranty, servicing.
Ditto for the apparently-conflicting info in the PR. Also no published first-ride reviews of prototypes, or (AFAIK) sightings in the wild. Only a couple showing up at a show in Half Moon Bay at the beginning of the month.

For a bike which is supposed to start deliveries 2 months from now, this is very odd.

If deliveries are really going to start in July, there's nothing unfinished about the design. Those first bikes are well into production right now.
Exactly. So Why aren't we seeing more detailed specs of the bike?
Dimensions? Seat height?
GVWR / carrying capacity (from which it can be deduced whether it's suitable to base a 2-up or tourer on)?
Brake / suspension components, both vendor & adjustability ? ABS/TCS?
Not quite clear from the few pics, but looks like belt final drive?
Performance numbers? Including _sustained_ performance -- is the battery liquid-cooled, not just the motor?
Luggage options, if any?

And of course, the mundane:
How to buy?
How will service / warranty will be handled? Some countries have  strict requirements for this (in mine, the importer needs to post a fairly large bond to guarantee availability of spare parts for 7 years).
Warranty, drivetrain & otherwise?

The given specs sound a bit too good to be true... The Carbon edition 10lbs less weight than the SR/F, but with 5kWh more, a fairing and CCS DC charger.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2019, 04:44:02 AM »

I suspect that Lightning's business plan (assuming that they have one) is not very well thought out.   ::)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2019, 10:57:10 AM »

I asked as nicely as I could on their YT channel and got nothing.

I did see Richard Hatfield himself chimed in on the Zero owners FB page saying again that bikes will go out in July.

We'll see.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2019, 11:10:35 AM »

I did see Richard Hatfield himself chimed in on the Zero owners FB page saying again that bikes will go out in July.

Here's the comment in question:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/zmcowners/permalink/2195372883865241/?comment_id=2195944460474750
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2019, 05:00:21 PM »

Lightning is going down the same path with the Strike that they did with the LS-218. The LS-218 has been around for years but there is still very little information about it out there. Very few mentions in the motorcycle press. Not much information on the Lightning web site either. Unless Lightning hires a few people who know how to market motorcycles the Strike is going to be a big fail.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »

Plus, Trump's 25% tariff on Chinese-manufactured products is not going to help their sales either.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]