• September 24, 2024, 07:26:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: CCS Charging Price Comparison  (Read 948 times)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
CCS Charging Price Comparison
« on: December 30, 2018, 09:31:28 PM »

I decided to go on a short road trip yesterday to checkout one of the new Electrify America chargers in Henderson, NC near the VA border. On the way I charged at an EVgo DCFC and on the way home I charged at a Greenlots DCFC.

Here are the details:

EVgo: 8.1 kWh for $11.74
Electrify America: 8.0 kWh for $10.17
Greenlots: 9.6 kWh for $6.94

While the low price of Greenlots sure sounds great they are also very poor at maintaining their network in NC and VA. It isn't uncommon for a DCFC to be inoperable for months at a time and in some cases it has been years since some of them worked reliably. Maybe if they charged more they could afford to maintain their network. I saw someone complain on Plugshare at the high price of an Electrify America system yet they are cheaper than EVgo. Have rarely seen an EVgo system not work for an extended period of time. It is too early to tell how well the Electrify America network is maintained.

The Electrify America stations only require a credit card, not a special account and phone app or token to use. The DCFC in Henderson is located at a Walmart and many of the parking spots were ICE'd. But there is enough room behind the chargers to pull a motorcycle behind them in order for the rather short power cord to reach. There was one open parking spot in front of a charger to use. The first charger I tried didn't work but the one next to it did. It will be a long time before an electric motorcycle can take full advantage of the 350kW chargers but it is great to see them planning and preparing for the future.

Starpower

• View Profile
Re: CCS Charging Price Comparison
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 11:12:18 PM »

Wow! In 2 years of ownership I’ve never paid for a charge so this is shocking to me. Public charging cost is virtually the same cost of gas for an ice bike and could be even more.

I had no idea!
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 03:50:05 AM »

Starpower, Like a lot of things in life you pay for speed and convenience. EV charging is no different. The L2 charger on the Eva is only 3kw so instead of charging for 30 minutes on CCS I would have spent about 3 hours or more each time on L2. Even if I had my Zero which I can charge at 6.3 kw it would have been 1 1/2 hours or more each time. CCS charging isn't cheap and I don't do it that often so it really isn't a big deal. And faster charging really is addicting. I can't see ever taking my Zero SR on a trip again that requires charging at 6.3 kw multiple times when I can take the Eva and charge at 21 kw. It is CCS charging that makes the Eva practical for trips in which the Zero isn't due to charging times.

Starpower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 12:18:31 AM »

I hear you Ultrarnr, and if available to me I would be hooked on expensive fast charging on the road. I pay dearly for SPEED and convenience on my ICE bike. But, as I mentioned I’m shocked at this cost of being more per mile than gas. Now as soon as we throw in the cost of carbon impacts and war you’re looking at a bargain!
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

cpallenjr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 09:20:30 AM »

This is very interesting. I have never charged my C Evolution away from home, where I am paying about $0.12 per kw/hr. I think I will try to continue avoiding public chargers if they are 10x the cost.
C Allen
Seattle, WA
2017 BMW C Evolution
2016 BMW R1200GSA

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 01:51:13 PM »

For another interesting comparison: In February I bought a Tesla Model 3,LR, DM. My typical cost for Supercharger use on road trips is slightly less than what it cost to charge my Eva on EVgo or EA CCS systems. Greenlots is a lot cheaper, about half of what EVgo or EA costs. But when the alternative to $11.00 or so CCS charging is charging on L2 for 3 hours or more I am going to pay for CCS charging on a road trip.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 09:03:06 PM »

This is very interesting. I have never charged my C Evolution away from home, where I am paying about $0.12 per kw/hr. I think I will try to continue avoiding public chargers if they are 10x the cost.

Plenty of J1772 stations are free (Volta among others is advertising-based) or so cheap as to be negligible compared to your home outlet.

CCS and other level 3 charging is what costs a premium, because of the specialized high-performance station equipment cost and upkeep.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 09:45:48 PM »

For another interesting comparison: In February I bought a Tesla Model 3,LR, DM. My typical cost for Supercharger use on road trips is slightly less than what it cost to charge my Eva on EVgo or EA CCS systems. Greenlots is a lot cheaper, about half of what EVgo or EA costs. But when the alternative to $11.00 or so CCS charging is charging on L2 for 3 hours or more I am going to pay for CCS charging on a road trip.

Seems a bit more than "slightly less".

My Supercharging costs are averaging about 5 cents a mile with a 3 LR RWD. That's with three or four people, associated gear and hauling ass on most of our trips.

Guessing 150 Wh/mile for highway operation, it looks like the CCS costs are 11-20 cents per mile.

I'd absolutely pay for the convenience of CCS charging on a motorcycle - given that the majority of my charging would be at home at 1-2 cents per mile, the cost of operations is still quite low.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 03:26:45 AM »

So I have several thousand miles of CCS only charging now and here is my take :

Average costs
Chargepoint and smaller brands is $2.50 to 80%
EVgo $5.00 to 80%

At first I thought I would hate paying for electricity, however... when I am done in 20 min and can ride at 100 mph between every charge... I stopped caring because I was happy to pay $2-6 for the pure convenience.

I only ever use JPlugs as a back up just to get to the next CCS. With a j Plug you are looking at 2 to 3 hours of charging to 80%
Pages: [1]