• October 08, 2024, 02:23:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: MotoE flat out from start to finish in 2019  (Read 448 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: MotoE flat out from start to finish in 2019
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 05:23:19 PM »

Interesting article, thanks for posting Jaime.

It sounds like each session and the race will be no more than 15 minutes long.  MotoGP races are approximately 45 minutes.

The comparison to Moto3 was surprising at first, as the bikes are 250cc or less with a maximum power of 55hp (41kW).  That's more like a Zero S!  However, the power-to-weight ratio is more telling; Moto3 is ~0.6hp/kg and a 280kg Energica Ego comes in at 0.51hp/kg.  They might shave a few pounds off the MotoE bikes, so they could well end up at 0.6hp/kg.

Will MotoE generate much interest?  The 2nd generation Formula E cars peaked my interest a little as I wanted to learn a little about the new specs.  However, when it came to watching the race last weekend, I just wasn't bothered.  I think I'll get interested again when the cars and bikes start out performing their piston powered peers.  I want to see them doing laps of Silverstone or Monza, not some low speed city circuit.   As ever, it's down to energy storage and that's a really tough nut to crack, particularly as there's such a long way to go to match the energy density of petrol.  Dammit!

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 06:42:42 PM »

I was PLANNING on seeing the Formula-E race here in Brooklyn this past summer until I got hit by an inattentive knucklehead and had my leg broken (and my 2016 Zero totaled).  I'm hoping to have better luck in 2019.  I attended an electric bike race in 2017 at NJMP, hosted by AHRMA.  That was a lot of fun seeing the mix of bikes on the track. My friend and I were particularly interested in the University-entered bikes as they showed a LOT of innovation.  Unfortunately the fastest bike on the grid broke down before the finish in both races that year.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 10:28:19 PM »

Your accident was very unfortunate Jaime and I recall how upset you were at the time.  It's great to hear you're back on your new Zero and enjoying your biking again.

I can imagine watching a mix of bikes racing being far more interesting.  When they're all essentially the same it just doesn't really do anything for me.  I know it's a better test of the rider's skill but there's just something about seeing how well different motors and setups perform that adds something.

I hope you get another chance to watch Formula-E this season.  :-)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 02:06:07 AM »

The last time MotoGP came to Indianapolis they had an electric motorcycle race.  There was a mix of specially-prepped race bikes and bone stock production bikes.  Most of them Brammos and Zero SRs.

The announcer said that the riders discovered they didn't need to sneak peeks at the jumbotron screens to figure out where their competitors were, as they could CLEARLY hear the race announcers telling everyone (including them) where everybody was on the track.

It was also the only race I watched that weekend where I didn't have to jam earplugs into my ears.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1]