• June 26, 2024, 09:18:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Suggestions for an off board fast charger  (Read 9746 times)

ashnazg

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions for an off board fast charger on domestic 220V plugs
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 10:22:11 PM »

I've been happy with the Elcon I got from Hollywood Electrics back in 2016.  It tends to charge at around 2200W as seen from the app on my '15 SR.

Granted, I *am* in the queue for the 9.9kW sized Diginows  8)
2015 Zero SR
2015 Zero FX (previous bike)
2011 Zero XU (previous bike)

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 06:21:52 PM »

While reading this other thread, I realized that my programmable charger using a TC 3.3kW charger controlled by a Thunderstruck EVCC-Basic controller could appear complex, while in fact it is not.
In fact, I have left all the "complexity" to others:
- ThunderStruck who sold me the controller already programmed to my wishes (but I can re-program it later if necessary by connecting the controller to my computer via USB),
- Otten who sold me the CAN-enabled TC charger already wired according to my wishes.
I just had to connect both and enjoy !

In order to clarify it, I have added 2 diagrams at the beginning of the pictures gallery:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RdcLtzjxqsYhoVyz7

Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 08:02:13 PM »

This is great information GT13013.  And what would you say you ended up paying for your setup?
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 09:27:26 PM »

This is great information GT13013.  And what would you say you ended up paying for your setup?
The price I paid for it is not relevant, since if you are in the US you will not pay the same... And the prices are changing
I paid 699€ for the TC 3.3kW, plus 20€ shipping. I think that now they are a little bit more expensive.
I paid the EVCC 175$ + 32$ shipping + 49.50€ import taxes.

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 09:43:37 PM »

And I have an important advise to stress on:
If you try to build such a charger, put a fast fuse on the 12V output given by the charger and used to feed the EVCC controller.
That is very important since the TC charger has an internal fuse to protect its 12V output, but this fuse is not accessible and cannot be changed.
I was very happy to do so, when I inadvertently made a short circuit with the 12V output. I had just to replace the 250mA fuse instead of buying a new charger !

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 02:53:12 PM »

This charger is made to work on domestic plugs because they are the most common plugs and are available everywhere.
But of course, it can be used with charge stations. You just need the correct adapter.
Since I use at the same time this charger (3300W, i.e. 16A on 220V) and the inboard charger (700W, i.e. 4A on 220V), I use a Type 2 to three 220V plugs adapter that I have build myself. It is shown (construction and use) in the image gallery. Each of the three plugs is on a different phase according to the wiring given in attachment.
You can find already built adapters, for instance here: https://eauto.si/metron-shop/product/adapter-type-2-3-x-schuko-16-a/
Or get one made for you from here: http://evbitz.uk/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 06:22:49 AM by gt13013 »

Skidz

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions for an off board fast charger
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 04:39:29 AM »

Very cool stuff, nice setup! Perhaps I should add 3,3kW to the charge stack.... Hmmm....

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 05:27:42 AM »

There exist a 6.6 kW charger in one piece. It could be better than two 3.3 kW chargers
https://www.google.com/search?q=HK-J+6600W

But in some cases two 3.3 kW chargers could be more interesting than one 6.6 kW, since with two 3.3 kW chargers you can balance the power on two different phases of the charging station. For instance, you can use one phase for the internal charger, one phase for the first 3.3kW charger, and the third phase for the second 3.3 kW charger.

Btw, I have added 2 pictures and a screenshot (taken today) at the end of the album.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 06:44:09 PM by gt13013 »

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 02:20:15 PM »

Carrying my external charger in the top case inside a foam shell molded to its shape was not a good idea, since it fluttered a little in the jolts of the road.
I now carry it in a tank bag (XLMOTO model, 20+8 liters), and it is much better.
More (and bigger) pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7F7wahd3ufj1oksZ6
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 02:26:07 PM by gt13013 »

kasmtk

• Kas
    • View Profile
    • TCCS
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 01:15:13 PM »

Hello
Thanks for the article.
I'm in the UK and would be interested in sourcing the Otten supplier you found helpful if you could give me their contact details
I need a cost effective solution to fast charge  My DSR 2016
thanks
DSR 2016
Outlander PHEV

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 06:25:07 AM »

I didn't know if I should start a new thread, but I emailed Brandon at Diginow and he informed me that they are going to stop producing chargers for the Zero lineup.  :'(

One of the emails:
Code: [Select]
We discovered why the Calex charger fails, and it would effect our chargers with any further integration. It is too risky for us.

It looks like Zero is only about 2 years behind us in technology. And so they will have reasonable charging for most bikes in a couple years.

Oh well.
Zero FXS 2020

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 12:07:48 PM »

I didn't know if I should start a new thread, but I emailed Brandon at Diginow and he informed me that they are going to stop producing chargers for the Zero lineup.  :'(

This thread is not about Diginow. So please keep it focused on its subject. And start a new thread if you want to speak about something else.

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 05:13:55 PM »

I saw it mentioned several times.
Zero FXS 2020

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 08:57:42 PM »

For those of you who are considering the same kind of solution, here is the improvement that I would make if I had to reconsider the problem.
I would fix the charger inside a dedicated top box, with longer connection cables, in such a way that I would leave the charger in the top box while charging (in my present solution I put the charger on the ground).
Givi Monokey boxes for example can carry 10 kgs and would be fine.

And I would swap between the top box containing the charger when I need fast charging, and an empty top box when I do not need fast charging.
I you want to use only one top box, you can also make a system to fix and release easily the charger in the top box.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 12:44:02 AM »

For those of you who are considering the same kind of solution, here is the improvement that I would make if I had to reconsider the problem.
I would fix the charger inside a dedicated top box, with longer connection cables, in such a way that I would leave the charger in the top box while charging (in my present solution I put the charger on the ground).
Givi Monokey boxes for example can carry 10 kgs and would be fine.

And I would swap between the top box containing the charger when I need fast charging, and an empty top box when I do not need fast charging.
I you want to use only one top box, you can also make a system to fix and release easily the charger in the top box.

I would absolutely not place any chargers in the top box (at least beyond 10lbs overall load). The top rack will eventually break, because it's just a giant waving lever against the seat bolts and the tiny M6 bolts holding the rack on under the seat.

I am just now extracting my second set of top rack bolts from the aluminum tail frame horns, and this time I didn't even have a charger in the top box. I cannot overstress how unsuitable the top rack is for heavy loads.

If you must, get a Happy Trails SU side rack, and some small side cases to attach to it, and place your chargers in those. The Happy Trails SU side rack is strong enough that you can lift the bike by the rack reasonably.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5