• June 26, 2024, 08:25:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Banner ad at top of page  (Read 669 times)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Banner ad at top of page
« on: January 21, 2018, 06:33:26 PM »

Why do we have a gigantic banner ad at the top of the page?

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Banner ad at top of page
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 07:07:33 PM »

To offset the cost of running a forum.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »

To offset the cost of running a forum.
Its about $100 a year.
Can we ditch the ad block and just all toss in some money?

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:36:13 AM »

How are we supposed to know what we need if Google doesn't tell us!
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

StraydogEOMFD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 04:59:03 AM »

I use an ad blocker and don't see anything except for the EMC Forum logo.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 07:04:34 AM »

I use an ad blocker and don't see anything except for the EMC Forum logo.

I do too. I only noticed because the ad-block reset on my phone... I was just surprised it was there. I thought this was a classier joint. :p

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 07:41:12 AM »

Speaking for myself, I haven't got the slightest interest in making people pay to belong to the forum. I have no problem ignoring ONE banner, or getting a pop-up blocker. Even a dollar a month changes things too much.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 08:07:35 AM »

Speaking for myself, I haven't got the slightest interest in making people pay to belong to the forum. I have no problem ignoring ONE banner, or getting a pop-up blocker. Even a dollar a month changes things too much.

I was NOT recommending making anyone pay.
I just prefer no banner.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 11:32:50 AM »

Even the most modest Patreon could pay for this site. Or the Zero manual. I'm just saying that a decent number of people pitching in a dollar on a regular basis would make most of these sites easier to maintain for their operators.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 11:41:50 AM »

Even the most modest Patreon could pay for this site. Or the Zero manual. I'm just saying that a decent number of people pitching in a dollar on a regular basis would make most of these sites easier to maintain for their operators.
exactly.
a toss-in of a few bucks by just a couple people that can and want to, would more than cover each year...

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 12:39:29 PM »

It's been done many times before with many forums. Members join to pay an annual/monthly low fee, and then a year later either the forum disappears or goes back to ads. New members looking for a discussion platform flee sites that ask for donations.

Putting in ad blockers is also not the solution; it kills many good sites. It's funny that people don't object to ads in magazines that they pay a subscription for, but turn red when they see ads on the internet on sites that are free.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 08:26:30 PM »

Hell I'm amazed people want to buy ad space to get to us.  :)

But I learned to over look ads a long time ago, if it off sets the cost go for it.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 09:05:02 PM »

It's been done many times before with many forums. Members join to pay an annual/monthly low fee, and then a year later either the forum disappears or goes back to ads. New members looking for a discussion platform flee sites that ask for donations.

That should not happen unless the owner is overpaying... its less than $100 a year for a site like this, and just asking once should net you enough to pay out 10 years in advance.

Putting in ad blockers is also not the solution; it kills many good sites. It's funny that people don't object to ads in magazines that they pay a subscription for, but turn red when they see ads on the internet on sites that are free.

Any site that dies from ad-blockers is a site that isnt needed. I have the right to decide what I allow downloaded and displayed.
I DO object to ads shoved in my face, including for print magazines... and I dont pay for any magazine subscriptions.
They make their money selling ad space, not through subscriptions. Therefore if they want to pump their (dying) numbers of subscribers up, they need to pay me to accept their content. Some do.

Then again, I am also the guy that won a judgement against the local paper for constantly littering the end of my driveway after repeated requests to stop... lol

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 09:21:18 PM »

I find the ads on U-Tube a lot more irritating than any that I have seen on forums.  The big one at the top of this page really doesn't bother me all that much.  I am happy to have it if it keeps the site up and running.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 11:09:26 PM »

I do not see it as gigantic and I see a site logo that sort of looks like a flashlight aa battery at the top.  Pretty minimal advertising as forums go.  Now I do see a lot of bitcoin related stuff in it, not sure what you all see.  Cheerios and Comcast business.  Sometimes there is stuff on the computer that over rides what is supposed to be there and paying from what I understand.  Some forums have sponsor sections where say zero or alta or custom seat shop or whatever could have their own sub forum and maybe get some moderator or advertising privelages in them.
Edit.  It is bigger on the smart phone.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:40:34 AM by Fran K »
Pages: [1] 2