• October 07, 2024, 12:27:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: Zero 2017  (Read 46777 times)

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Zero 2017
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2016, 05:03:45 PM »

According to the Zero site, the seat height is 32.9 inches. http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/specs.php
Where do you get 24.7" ????

34.7 ... my finger missed its target key and I didn't check ;)
And I was looking at the FX not FXS since it would be more powerful than the FX and likely scarier for a beginner.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2016, 09:21:09 PM »

According to the Zero site, the seat height is 32.9 inches. http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/specs.php
Where do you get 24.7" ????

34.7 ... my finger missed its target key and I didn't check ;)
And I was looking at the FX not FXS since it would be more powerful than the FX and likely scarier for a beginner.

they have the same power... the FX will just overheat faster.
The FX has offroad tires on it. The FXS has street tires... so the FX is "scarier" onroad than the FXS, and the FXS is "scarier" offroad than the FX..

A beginner shouldnt have a problem with either one, but if they're riding primarily on the street I would recommend the FXS over the FX.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2016, 01:34:07 AM »

they have the same power... the FX will just overheat faster.
The FX has offroad tires on it. The FXS has street tires... so the FX is "scarier" onroad than the FXS, and the FXS is "scarier" offroad than the FX..

A beginner shouldnt have a problem with either one, but if they're riding primarily on the street I would recommend the FXS over the FX.

If the only difference is the tires, why do you say the FX will overheat faster??
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2016, 01:41:08 AM »

If the only difference is the tires, why do you say the FX will overheat faster??

The FXS has the IPM motor. It's designed for better heat transfer.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

scrambler

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2016, 07:06:58 AM »

Are there other electric motorcycles that meet the above description? I know electric scooters are getting popular, but the ones I've seen are a just too underpowered in terms of top speed and range.

Hi Performance E-Bicycles are doing what you are looking for. Still a niche market, but you can start hitting decent prices with European models sold directly.
Check the ones below :)
http://vectorebike.com/
http://www.qulbix.com/
http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/  (Sadly heavily marked up internationally)

The weight to power ratio (bike plus rider) of a Vector Typhoon, is basically the same as the Zero FX, but on a bike that weights less than 50kg

The only catch is that these are not legal at full power on the street. On the street you need to stay in Eco mode respecting whatever local electric bicycle laws are, like 1000W and 28mph in California.

The ones I really wish would become a reality are
http://www.tuvie.com/ktm-delta-electric-motorcycle-for-hipsters-just-like-riding-a-single-speed-bike/
http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-news/husqvarna-e-go-concept-electric-motorcycle-ar127835.html

But that does not seem to be in the cards so far...

EDIT: There is the Escape from Electric Motion that would make a great contender if they make it street legal.
May be if enough people ask them too they will consider it :)
http://electricmotioncanada.ca/escape/
12kW for 78kg
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:12:24 AM by scrambler »

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2016, 06:20:58 AM »

How about this for a new concept: an electric bike that will compete with the Honda Grom (125cc) market. Maybe 20 HP, 40 mile range, 60+ mph top speed, low weight and low seat height for new/short riders. MSRP about $4000 USD. It will of course also compete with the scooter market since it'll be easy to ride and light.

This idea comes from recent events in my life: my Zero S (with PT) dropped on my girlfriend's leg and pinned her to the curb yesterday while she was practicing on it (alone). It took someone else to lift it off her before I ran to the scene. She's just bruised thankfully, the handlebar must have broken the fall of the bike on her leg or I imagine her leg would have been broken. But on a slight slope I wasn't able to lift the bike up alone and had to get a second hand, and embarassingly I am 5'9" 180 pounds and I like to think I am not totally out of shape. I know I have been able to push up other bikes that are 450+ pounds, so maybe the high center of gravity makes the zero hard to get upright? Anyways, she is 5'0" and petite, so little chance she could upright it...

So the trade-offs between bike weight, range, power and MSRP have the Zero S competing with 'real' motorcycles, but what about the market for something lighter, smaller, cheaper and less intimidating, that eco-friendly non-motorcyclists would flock to?

Are there other electric motorcycles that meet the above description? I know electric scooters are getting popular, but the ones I've seen are a just too underpowered in terms of top speed and range.

that sounds exactly like my electric bicycle.
commercial ebikes are slow and/or short range with few exceptions... but if you're making one at home, you can easily hit those numbers.

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2016, 09:23:26 PM »

This bike may be close to your requirements. The seat may be a bit high than a Grom (31.7 Inch) but still good for shorter legs.

It's already on the road in some countries so not sure why the website still shows pre-order.

http://www.voltamotorbikes.com/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:28:19 PM by kingcharles »
Once you go EV, gas is history!

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2016, 05:16:36 AM »

For a 2017 Zero sr i would like:
centerstand,
immobilizer,
Speedpilot, or possibility to set max speed all the way down to 40 or 50 km/h
Integrated gps
Integrated usb charge socket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2016, 06:56:40 AM »

centerstand,
immobilizer,
Integrated gps

this list seems odd to me.  I understand the immobilizer for insurance and theft.. but why do you feel the need for a centerstand, a lower max speed or the GPS?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2016, 10:48:48 AM »

centerstand,
immobilizer,
Integrated gps

this list seems odd to me.  I understand the immobilizer for insurance and theft.. but why do you feel the need for a centerstand, a lower max speed or the GPS?

Regarding a centerstand, if you weren't so obsessed with liter-bike performance as "normal", you'd appreciate the ability to maintain one's own bike in remote areas with a minimal set of tools or dealer support. A bike without a centerstand to me is a bike dependent on a random mechanic I can't trust. That's worth more to me than liter-bike performance.

On the other hand, inbuilt immobilizer and GPS to me signal that someone is overly sensitive to theft; the black market for Zero motorcycles is basically nil. This is placebo protection against idiots, which unfortunately is a losing proposition, because idiots can ruin your bike trying to steal it anyway. Most motorcycle manufacturers don't include these (rightly) because they're technology that gets outdated very easily compared to the price. They're fine as accessories.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2016, 07:42:37 PM »

The Zombie 2011 bike Jim did used a little box with a 9 volt battery that he had set up to activate the contactor that bypassed the bike's key.
So if you take the little box that bike aint running.
+1 vote for center stand at least for the DS and FX

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2016, 07:47:28 PM »

centerstand,
immobilizer,
Integrated gps

Regarding a centerstand, if you weren't so obsessed with liter-bike performance as "normal", you'd appreciate the ability to maintain one's own bike in remote areas with a minimal set of tools or dealer support. A bike without a centerstand to me is a bike dependent on a random mechanic I can't trust. That's worth more to me than liter-bike performance.

On the other hand, inbuilt immobilizer and GPS to me signal that someone is overly sensitive to theft; the black market for Zero motorcycles is basically nil. This is placebo protection against idiots, which unfortunately is a losing proposition, because idiots can ruin your bike trying to steal it anyway. Most motorcycle manufacturers don't include these (rightly) because they're technology that gets outdated very easily compared to the price. They're fine as accessories.
By gps i mean a gps wayfinder, not a trackingdevice.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2016, 10:07:59 PM »

By gps i mean a gps wayfinder, not a trackingdevice.

I would be embarrassed for Zero if they did this. Any attempt at including way finding software on cars has been inherently embarrassing and easily dated.

I develop software professionally so I'm too aware of the costs and risks of this. Zero should stick with a more configurable dash and data and basic control APIs over Bluetooth or CAN that they can expose securely.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Pprior

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2016, 10:59:05 PM »

I am waiting to buy a zero until I can go to any fast charge station that cars use and charge rapidly. I'm shocked this can't be done yet. That and traction control and I'm buying

Using Tapatalk

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2016, 11:42:16 PM »

centerstand,
immobilizer,
Integrated gps

you're not skoleskibe.

Centerstand is useful on some bikes... but I dont see it as useful for the zero S/SR.
Its not like you're going to be changing tires on this thing, nor can it really go out of range of a tow.
You dont need to remove the tire to plug it. It doesnt have tubes. The belt isnt a roadside change.
Shock adjustment is a possibility, but you can do that with a sidestand by lifting the bike onto it. you know.. like on a sportbike... where you have to (or atleast should) be changing spring preload for a passenger.

so without knowing a good reason... I asked.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31