• July 01, 2024, 04:22:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31

Author Topic: Zero 2017  (Read 45718 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Zero 2017
« Reply #375 on: November 08, 2016, 09:30:16 PM »

Why would they make a 6.5 S model? Yeah I know it's cheaper, but that range is pretty abysmal.

And they're trying to sell the 6.5s on the extra storage. Do they really think people wanted more storage over range? O.o

My guess is that the 6.5 is a bottom-feeder so they can advertise a low "starting" price.  Something (in concept) like BMW does with their motorcycles.  They advertise a low base cost, but no one ever pays that price.  They end up dumping in $4000 of factory-installed options on to the base price, because everyone wants to have the bike of their dreams and are willing to pay for it.  I would be very surprised if Zero actually sells any 6.5 models to a individual customer.  Maybe certain public institutions or agencies using them to patrol a small area like a college campus would have a use for that model, though.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

WDavis4692

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 08, 2016, 10:16:17 PM »

Can anyone tell me if the thicker drive belt on the 2017 model is worth paying more for - or waiting for - over a 2016 bike which can be had cheaper - and sooner?  Are there any problems with belts snapping or failing on the 2016 FXS that specifically mean one SHOULD hold off buying until the 2017 model is available locally?

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 08, 2016, 10:24:43 PM »

Can anyone tell me if the thicker drive belt on the 2017 model is worth paying more for - or waiting for - over a 2016 bike which can be had cheaper - and sooner?  Are there any problems with belts snapping or failing on the 2016 FXS that specifically mean one SHOULD hold off buying until the 2017 model is available locally?
question for you.
When riding a supermoto bike, do you slow down for speed bumps or speed up?

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 08, 2016, 10:26:20 PM »

If anything, I think the increased torque would be the main reason to prefer a '17 FXS over a '16.

I notice you're in the UK too. The incoming £1500 subsidy is an even bigger reason to wait - unless that '16 FXS has a really good deal on it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:29:30 PM by Fred »
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 09, 2016, 12:02:40 AM »

The Zero website is live with the 2017 info!

Unlimited Mileage/5 Year Warranty
Storage Tank Lockable Storage
New SEVCON Controllers
        Zero SR (116 ft-lb torque; 70hp up from 106 ft-lb ; 67 hp) (775 amp up from 660 amp) (Gearing changed from 130/30 to 90/20) (0-60 times not listed....because the old bikes aren't actually 3.3s but the new bikes are)
        Zero S (81 ft-lb torque; 60hp up from 68 ft-lb ; 54 hp) (550 amp up from 420 amp) (No change to gearing)
S/DS ZF6.5
   Lockable storage in the monolith
   Compatibility w/ power tank or charge tank
Paint instead of colored plastic
New graphite color for DSR
Bike Firmware updates via the Zero app

You upgrading? 

dv8sean

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 09, 2016, 01:10:36 AM »

@ericramos1990 - The painted colors looks significantly different in person than on a monitor. The yellow of the S and the red of the SR are a departure from the previous years' molded-in colors. To my eye, they both look for more refined/vibrant/premium. 2017 body kits will be sold separately as accessories and are compatible with 2013-newer Zeros. Check with your dealer.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 09, 2016, 03:47:56 AM »

Belts snap a lot, cost a lot and they will totally incapacitate your bike while you wait for a dealer to order a new one.
I have a 2016 FXS and I'd really rather have the 2017.
Besides that, you should know that the range on the FXS is really limited. Make sure you're OK with that.
What I mean by that is that it's really fun to ride the FXS and I wish it had twice the range.
Also takes 8 hours to charge with stock charger.

ericramos1990

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 09, 2016, 04:35:13 AM »

@ericramos1990 - The painted colors looks significantly different in person than on a monitor. The yellow of the S and the red of the SR are a departure from the previous years' molded-in colors. To my eye, they both look for more refined/vibrant/premium. 2017 body kits will be sold separately as accessories and are compatible with 2013-newer Zeros. Check with your dealer.

I don't really care how premium the color is to be honest, I just want it to be in the color I personally want it in. (Black, yes I'm boring, yes it's harder to see, but I plan on wearing night viz stuff.)

Cool, how did you hear about the body kits? I hope the follow through with that, I did see a supposed 2017 black Zero S/SR on the Zero owners facebook group.

It would be nice if they just allow the customer to buy it with the color they want, instead of buying full price for a bike with a color they don't want, and then having to buy a new body kit. It would totally be worth it if they made a full fairing body kit tho

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 09, 2016, 05:49:40 AM »

I don't really care how premium the color is to be honest, I just want it to be in the color I personally want it in. (Black, yes I'm boring, yes it's harder to see, but I plan on wearing night viz stuff.)

Cool, how did you hear about the body kits? I hope the follow through with that, I did see a supposed 2017 black Zero S/SR on the Zero owners facebook group.

It would be nice if they just allow the customer to buy it with the color they want, instead of buying full price for a bike with a color they don't want, and then having to buy a new body kit. It would totally be worth it if they made a full fairing body kit tho

Ditto, I too am boring and want a black SR. Totally agree, we should be able to get it in the color we want without paying more.
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
1983 GS450A Suzukimatic (Sold)
2016 Dong Fang 200SST (Sold)
2017 Super Soco TS1200R (Current Bike)

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 09, 2016, 06:04:09 AM »

Ditto, I too am boring and want a black SR. Totally agree, we should be able to get it in the color we want without paying more.

It's not feasible for Zero to actually paint the bike to the customer request without a significant premium for that service.  So the only other way to offer different color options is to build different color options.  This approach results in bikes of the least popular color being left over at the end of the season which then need to be sold at a discount.  When Zero starts selling a lot more bikes per year they may be able to do this (actually they already tried and have offered two colors of Zero S in the past).  Until then, one color per model.

It sucks that you have to go this route....but if you really want a black SR and you don't care about paint vs. colored plastic....buy an SR then order plastics for a 2015 Zero S.  All the plastic total will only cost about $300 (depending on how much the dealer decides to mark up....which should be minimal or none if you are buying a bike from them).  Of course, that also means no locking storage.  You could also buy 2016 DSR plastic and have a graphite color bike but would need to either paint the front fender or find some other option for the front fender (like maybe get a front fender from a 2015 Zero S and then buy everything else from a 2016 DSR).

Also, FYI...@dv8sean is a Zero employee....I thought they had a policy of stating this any time they post so he must have just forgotten this time.  ;D
2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 09, 2016, 06:11:58 AM »

The Zero website is live with the 2017 info!

Unlimited Mileage/5 Year Warranty
Storage Tank Lockable Storage
New SEVCON Controllers
        Zero SR (116 ft-lb torque; 70hp up from 106 ft-lb ; 67 hp) (775 amp up from 660 amp) (Gearing changed from 130/30 to 90/20) (0-60 times not listed....because the old bikes aren't actually 3.3s but the new bikes are)
        Zero S (81 ft-lb torque; 60hp up from 68 ft-lb ; 54 hp) (550 amp up from 420 amp) (No change to gearing)
S/DS ZF6.5
   Lockable storage in the monolith
   Compatibility w/ power tank or charge tank
Paint instead of colored plastic
New graphite color for DSR
Bike Firmware updates via the Zero app

You upgrading?

If by upgrading you mean upgrading from a one bike stable to a two bike stable....then....YES!  I am upgrading!  I'm not going to get rid of my 2014 Zero S...at least not right away.  Just got a quote for a 2017 Zero SR with a few options and I will be going in tomorrow to give my down payment and finish up paper work etc.  Unfortunately for me, they are filling all the dealer demo orders first before they are fullfilling any customer orders.  It makes sense that they would want to get the bikes to dealers so they can get butts in seats and sell more bikes....but I'm impatient...haha

Anyway, I should hopefully have the bike by the end of the month....maybe even by Thanskgiving but I won't hold my breath  ;D
2014 Zero S

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 09, 2016, 06:23:34 AM »

@mrwilsn I was thinking if we could just get the plastics in a different color we shouldn't have to pay extra, it's not like I want the red ones also. I did not realize that I would lose the lockable storage if I went with the black plastics from the S. Looks like I will be getting red and maybe down the line having it painted.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 06:28:23 AM by Straightedg4lif »
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 09, 2016, 07:35:22 AM »

@mrwilsn I was thinking if we could just get the plastics in a different color we shouldn't have to pay extra, it's not like I want the red ones also. I did not realize that I would lose the lockable storage if I went with the black plastics from the S. Looks like I will be getting red and maybe down the line having it painted.

Believe me...to an extent I agree with you....I am also a black bike kind of guy (although I like just a little bit of flair...see photos) and wish I could get a black Zero SR without paying a premium.  I haven't figured out yet how I will convert my 2017 SR to black or if I will just keep it red.  Since I will probably put a fast charger in the tank I might just go with 2015 Zero S plastic.

However, I understand why Zero doesn't offer the options at no cost.  Keep in mind that even a car OEM that sells millions of cars will sometimes charge a premium for certain colors so even though I wish they offered the color I like (black) I understand that no matter what color(s) they offer someone won't be happy (if they decided to make the SR black I guarantee you there would be a bunch of people that would complain and cry about how much they loved the red and why did Zero change blah blah blah).  For the motorcycle industry it's pretty much industry standard to offer any given model in just one or maybe two colors.

I recommend just talking to your dealer....I'm sure you can work something out....probably not a color change at no cost but maybe for just a little extra.

2014 Zero S

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 09, 2016, 07:57:46 AM »

Believe me...to an extent I agree with you....I am also a black bike kind of guy (although I like just a little bit of flair...see photos) and wish I could get a black Zero SR without paying a premium.  I haven't figured out yet how I will convert my 2017 SR to black or if I will just keep it red.  Since I will probably put a fast charger in the tank I might just go with 2015 Zero S plastic.

However, I understand why Zero doesn't offer the options at no cost.  Keep in mind that even a car OEM that sells millions of cars will sometimes charge a premium for certain colors so even though I wish they offered the color I like (black) I understand that no matter what color(s) they offer someone won't be happy (if they decided to make the SR black I guarantee you there would be a bunch of people that would complain and cry about how much they loved the red and why did Zero change blah blah blah).  For the motorcycle industry it's pretty much industry standard to offer any given model in just one or maybe two colors.

I recommend just talking to your dealer....I'm sure you can work something out....probably not a color change at no cost but maybe for just a little extra.

I will definitely talk to my dealer, but I do not want to lose the lockable storage. I understand not having a lot of color choices, and you can't please everyone, so I will have to explore my options. Seems like I will have to deal with the red, and who knows it might grow on me. In case it doesn't I will see how much it would cost to have it painted black. I too like a little flair but love the black canvas to work off of. Not opposed to red just not that much of it, some red accents would be nice.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:12:03 AM by Straightedg4lif »
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 09, 2016, 08:11:26 AM »

I love the red so there you go, mrwilsn is right. Can't please everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31