• October 07, 2024, 04:29:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: Zero 2017  (Read 46781 times)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Zero 2017
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 05:02:32 PM »

Tesla just launched their Model 3 with huge interest.  Plans are to double the SuperCharger network this year.  Given there are already usage issues (lines forming, valet service required to keep irritation down) in some areas, I really do not see Tesla providing SC services to anyone else given the demands Model 3 will put on the network.

In addition, it sees silly to use 135 KW fast DC charging capability for something that could just as easily be accomplished using 80 amp 220V service although you would have to have a charger to get the job done.
A few high pressure areas will always exist in the system that is sized for the 95% use case.

Tesla's job is to plan ahead and expand the network as additional users are brought onto the system, and to identify those high-pressure areas and mitigate the pressure.

Tesla thus far has shown themselves to be responsible stewards of this network, which is part of why I'd like to see Zero adopt their standard.

This expansion will be paid for by all users of the network, including Zero. This won't be free to Zero riders (whether paid up front or annual billing or whatever Tesla decides on for the M 3). And remember that Tesla's oft-stated objective is to accelerate the advent of sustainable transportation; this is consistent with their decisions to release patents as well as their stated intention to welcome other well-behaving users onto their network.

240V 80 amp delivers 20 kW only, which is about 60% as fast as the 34 kW charge rate that a 17 kWh 2C bike could accept. Further, 20 kW EVSEs are few and far between, never mind the size of a 20 kW onboard charger (if not using a controller-based rectifier).

And regardless of the charge power used, a hypothetical Zero capable of 2C to 80% would charge faster than some Model S vehicles in terms of miles per minute, particularly a Model S at high SOC.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2016, 01:28:45 AM »

- Reverse mode to walk the bike back uphill or over bumps.
- Fairings and windscreen to improve rider comfort in all weather.
- 10kW J1772 charging.

For beyond 2017:
- WiFi connectivity and a color screen for traffic alerts, navigation, and bike tracking.
- Proximity key operation.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2016, 09:21:42 AM »

With the full knowledge that innovation comes in discrete, tiny packages... here is what I would like to see for 2017 model year.

• Integrated J1772 charging, standard.
  • Full LED lighting all around
  • The ability to update the bike firmware through the mobile app.
I think that's pretty good for a year of development & refinement. As the years progress, we all want the usual stuff: better, faster, farther, cheaper.

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2016, 09:59:25 AM »

My wishlist -
- Reverse switch (advantage only electrics can have)
- Belt repair emergency kit
- RTR off road Zero (better shocks, seat, tires...)
- Quick detachment of the rear lights and fender.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Hogwit

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2016, 11:51:35 AM »

I do not like the idea of reverse being accomplished by simply pushing the throttle forward while stopped.
Imagine if you come up to a stop light and get stuck for a while so you sit back a bit and crack your fingers then when it finally goes green you quickly reach forward, twist it the wrong way and crash into the car behind you. It should definitely be at least a 2 step process...maybe even more 1) Full stop, 2) Hold reversing button for 2 seconds, 3) Twist throttle. Having a lengthy process like that makes it difficult to activate it accidentally and how often do you need to go into reverse immediately?

Zero should definitely reintroduce DCQC, Tesla SC, ChaDeMo, CCS, it doesn't matter, but it needs to be available. Maybe even offer the adapters as a loan, like You're charged the full price for a new one from your dealer, and can walk out with it, then when you return it you get all but $20 back unless you buy one and you get a brand new one...basically meaning a free rental if you buy afterwards. That way people can know which chargers they can use and which they can't.

Larger battery would be nice, but I wouldn't expect much improvement, if any.

I think the biggest thing is price. You can get a used Leaf for less than a used Zero S with the large battery, that's a tough sell particularly given the limited usability of a motorcycle versus a car.

Aerodynamics are fairly cheap all things considered, but Zero is probably avoiding them just for the cost savings, however it should certainly be available.

Lighting changes are minor so if people voice their desire for it, LED could come around for next year.

Charging updates would be great, but as it stands they expect the average person to use the bike for daily commuting rather than long distance so a larger battery is more important to them than faster charging (easier round trip for long distancds and always charged overnight).

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2016, 06:26:17 PM »

The Leaf comment is especially interesting........

My sister in law just bought a 2013 off lease Leaf with 22K miles for $10K.  That is a fantastic value provided you only drive 60 miles in a day.
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2016, 06:46:50 PM »

I think the biggest thing is price. You can get a used Leaf for less than a used Zero S with the large battery, that's a tough sell particularly given the limited usability of a motorcycle versus a car.

I think that most motorcycle riders are not "utilitarian" riders. They care about price, don't get me wrong, but they care way way way more about having a cool bike - if that means the roar/chrome of a Harley or the ultimate performance of a Sport bike.   A used Leaf just doesn't have that cool factor, no matter how much more useful (or cheaply priced) it may be.

2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2016, 08:31:19 PM »

I think that most motorcycle riders are not "utilitarian" riders. They care about price, don't get me wrong, but they care way way way more about having a cool bike - if that means the roar/chrome of a Harley or the ultimate performance of a Sport bike.   A used Leaf just doesn't have that cool factor, no matter how much more useful (or cheaply priced) it may be.

I use my Zero almost exclusively to replace trips that I would have taken in my car.  I have a tank bag, top box, seat pack. saddlebags and a backpack that will allow me to carry just about anything other than a ladder or bookcase. I just hate driving a car and have done my best to avoid driving a car for the past 54 years. So for me, I am looking for utility, the largest battery I can get and 120V overnight charging. But a softer seat would be nice too, to go with longer range.   ;)  Except for the softer seat, so far Zero has been giving me everything that I want.  I will be happy if they continue in their current development direction.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2016, 09:20:12 PM »

1.  120MPH
2.  Fairings
3.  Reverse
4.  3kW on board charging standard
5.  Tank with a solid hinged lid no zipper
6.  USB upgrade/charging port standard
7.  Seat options Gel/width/firmness
8.  Custom settings adjustable on the bike (no app)
9.  Larger or separate color screen for nav/charge station info
10.LED lights all around.

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2016, 03:57:48 AM »

5,6, and 10 seem like easy wins and I would agree they would be nice to have. (I like some of the others too, but they probably cost more to implement).

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2016, 05:40:58 PM »

for the first one it already existe a option
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=181&zenid=vr6h3a98l4bt4su7rtp7d4mi34
a different transmission, but it is against le acceleration
for mie part i prefere acceleration than top speed

still hoping on a FXSR, a FXS with a SR motorisation

;-)

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2016, 12:46:13 AM »

The only problem with some of these suggestions is the added weight. These are not touring bikes and won't be for the foreseeable future. I would want my new Zero to be lighter in fact. That and a modest increase in range. Sustained 75 mph with a 120 mile range at that speed, max weight of 340 lbs., and max seat ht. of 31.5 in. for an S or SR model and I'm in.

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2016, 01:00:40 AM »

Tank with a solid hinged lid no zipper
Custom settings adjustable on the bike (no app)
Left hand rear break
All good suggestions, I would also add:
1. Service manual
2. Integrated charging timer
3. Option to turn headlight off when the kill switch is activated. Realized you can just pull out the connection at the back of the light.
4. Some feature to keep the bike from rolling when upright (other than pulling break levers).
5. The break light should come on with heavy regenerative breaking. I believe this is actually a safety issue; if you want to notify the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration you can call 888-327-4236 or go to www.safercar.gov. In the meantime you can adjust the front break so that you can pull that lever to activate the break light without activating the break. 
6. Option to customize the lower speed limit for regenerative breaking; it's set at 12mph. Someone might want to coast any time the bike is going slower than 20mph, for example, but I actually want it at about 4mph so I can come to a stop in most circumstances using only the regenerative breaking and go slower downhill without hitting the breaks.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:35:29 AM by WoadRaider »
perspective, use it

ZEM Tahiti

• Zero Emission Motorcycles & Scooters Tahiti
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2016, 12:05:01 AM »

Best improvements to us would be:
-Another 4/5% battery increase
-All LED lighting
- More colours, more readable dashboard
-Waterproof, solid and bigger compartment locked when key is removed, no more soft pouch
-150 Rear tire
- Better rear brake
- Wider, tougher belt, with better protection, specially on DS/DSR (Check T-Max casing)
- 10° more on direction for easier turn at slow speed
- Change the Handlebar for S/SR, so oldy bending.
- Softer seat
- More efficient Rear Fender
- Return of the MMX with MX supension

To widen the targets the development of an e-Scooter capable of 100Km/H / 100km range/ with enough storage under the seat for 2 small helmets is a real path. Equivallent 125cc is the key in most countries to get the car drivers license on 2 wheels!

ZEM Tahiti stands for Zero Emission Motorcycles in Tahiti. Our island size is perfect for the electric range.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »

The only problem with some of these suggestions is the added weight. These are not touring bikes and won't be for the foreseeable future. I would want my new Zero to be lighter in fact. That and a modest increase in range. Sustained 75 mph with a 120 mile range at that speed, max weight of 340 lbs., and max seat ht. of 31.5 in. for an S or SR model and I'm in.

If you want to go 75 MPH and 120 miles range, fairings and windsheild are a must.  Electric Terry has already proven that.

The fairings are a modest increase in weight, more comfy and better for all weather commuting.   I don't know wants to deal with a 75 MPH head wind with no protection from the wind.  Fairings should be a option. 

Max seat height also hurts range, but I get why some people would want that.

The standard SR is actually lighter or as light as most 600 cc sport bikes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31