• July 09, 2024, 05:55:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31

Author Topic: Zero 2017  (Read 45764 times)

clay.leihy

• View Profile
Re: Zero 2017
« Reply #285 on: November 03, 2016, 01:29:58 AM »

and I might just consider buying it...
And cruise control!!!
And a stereo and on board compressor and luggage and a CB and... Nah, I'll stick with my FX.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 03, 2016, 01:48:10 AM »

and I might just consider buying it...
And cruise control!!!
And a stereo and on board compressor and luggage and a CB and... Nah, I'll stick with my FX.

I was laughing and thinking "I know what you mean"... until I thought about it.
stereo? I have a MP3 player.
Air compressor? on my old sport bikes, I kept it under the seat with the tire kit.
luggage? net for backpack on back, tankbag... and sometimes soft saddlebags...
CB? I have a radio that clips on the helmet.

so yeah, all that on a pure sportsbike when going long distances or commuting... no issues.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 03, 2016, 01:49:49 AM »

And cruise control!!!

I agree that simpler is generally better, especially regarding the kind of things you mentioned, but cruise control would cost (in dollars and weight) exactly one button and some firmware. Well worth it in my book. Same with reverse. Don't need 'em or don't like 'em, don't use 'em.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 03, 2016, 03:01:20 AM »

All the calls for a cruise control, I assume you guys havent seen this:  http://www.atlasthrottlelock.com/

Also, look up BrianTrice's full review....

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 03, 2016, 03:38:53 AM »

And traction control.

Clay
DoD #2160,6

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 03, 2016, 04:27:09 AM »

All the calls for a cruise control, I assume you guys havent seen this:  http://www.atlasthrottlelock.com/

I think most people have probably seen it....I have.  It's a nice work around and a good review by @BrianTRice but it's not a cruise control, it's a throttle lock.  And it's exactly that...a workaround.

The Zero deserves a proper cruise control.  Reverse would be nice from time to time but it's not as high on my list as for people that frequently find themselves trying to back up on an incline. I can only imagine that if they did put reverse it would come with an annoying loud beeping sound when enabled which would discourage me from using it as much as possible...or until I disabled the sound :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 03, 2016, 04:27:57 AM »

Leaked photo of 2017 ZeroSR Cruiser...  ::)
I definitely laughed at this one...nice first post :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #292 on: November 03, 2016, 04:36:56 AM »

A cruise control would be nice, but seriously... why would anyone need a cruise control on a bike you can't ride for more than an hour at a time anyway??  I just put it in ECO mode and hold the throttle open to cruise at a steady 70 mph.  A throttle lock would be all you would need in that scenario.

Now on my K1200LT that can go 250 miles on a tank of gas, a cruise control makes sense as that is almost four hours of steady highway cruising.  Reverse also makes sense on an 850 lbs (with full tank of fuel) motorcycle, but I can't see it necessary on a bike that barely makes it over 400 lbs.  A gym membership might be more effective. If your legs are short, get off the bike to move it; it isn't that heavy.

What I'd really like to see for 2017 (and I consider it low-hanging fruit from an engineering standpoint) is a full coverage fairing, something that can be bolted on to prior-year models and ordered as an option when the bike is ordered.  That would give you the biggest "bang for the buck" as far as range is concerned.  Increased range WITHOUT an increase in charging time.  Best of both worlds.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #293 on: November 03, 2016, 04:38:30 AM »

Another thing:  Whatever happened to those "Color Kits" I read about at the beginning of the year?  It was supposed to be the ability to order additional body panels in whatever color you wanted to change up the look of your bike.  I never saw anything more about that.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 03, 2016, 05:29:17 AM »

A cruise control would be nice, but seriously... why would anyone need a cruise control on a bike you can't ride for more than an hour at a time anyway??  I just put it in ECO mode and hold the throttle open to cruise at a steady 70 mph.  A throttle lock would be all you would need in that scenario.

Now on my K1200LT that can go 250 miles on a tank of gas, a cruise control makes sense as that is almost four hours of steady highway cruising.  Reverse also makes sense on an 850 lbs (with full tank of fuel) motorcycle, but I can't see it necessary on a bike that barely makes it over 400 lbs.  A gym membership might be more effective. If your legs are short, get off the bike to move it; it isn't that heavy.

When you start to fast charge it changes everything.  I have done 500 mile days on the Zero and even though you only do it ~100 miles (or less) at a time it can still be a strain on the wrist.  Especially since chances are you are riding slow and it takes you longer to cover the 100 miles.  But that's not even the main reason I want cruise control....I use cruise control on motorcycles and cars as a means to keep myself from getting speeding tickets  :o  It seems like EVERY time the topic comes up someone has to bring up the fact that you can set a max speed in custom mode....which is great but it's SO far from what I'm looking for and not adequate at ALL.

In any case....to each his own....like @Doug S said....it's not an expensive feature to offer and if you don't want to use it....don't.

I also don't think it's fair to tell people to get a qym membership because they are asking for reverse.  For me it's fine....I don't need a gym membership....my legs are long enough and strong enough to be able to back up in most situations.  But there are plenty of riders who can't....and I don't see why a physical fitness test should be part of ridding a motorcycle.  Granted....being physically fit can make you a better rider but in my book it shouldn't be a requirement to be able to get on one of these bikes and enjoy it.

What I'd really like to see for 2017 (and I consider it low-hanging fruit from an engineering standpoint) is a full coverage fairing, something that can be bolted on to prior-year models and ordered as an option when the bike is ordered.  That would give you the biggest "bang for the buck" as far as range is concerned.  Increased range WITHOUT an increase in charging time.  Best of both worlds.

I completely agree and we should all keep saying it as often as it takes until Zero finally does it...if a third party doesn't beat them to it....what ever happened to Corbin making a fairing for the Zero?  Is that gonna happen?  In any case, its obvious Zero pays attention to owners so if we keep saying we want it then eventually they will deliver.....eventually...
2014 Zero S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #295 on: November 03, 2016, 05:47:51 AM »

The Atlas throttle lock really does work, even for supercharging days: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6204

It costs less than an integrated cruise control, and cruise control R&D for an OEM is really high (consider the vehicle safety certifications). I'd rather them spend the money more effectively.

A fairing option makes plenty of sense to me. I've heard the parties involved/mentioned are trying to figure out how to make one that will actually sell so they don't lose money on the proposition.

Fairings aren't cheap to develop if you want more than minimal cosmetic benefit. Drag reduction is not an easy task. When you combine that with the fact that you'll only sell a few (dozen? hundred?) units for a while and that the visual styling of it will likely repulse part of the market no matter what style is chosen, it becomes a little clearer what's holding them back.

Personally, I want a reverse gear option, because I know I can't back the bike up certain downhill slopes, and it'll get more difficult with a fairing on the bike, especially a really big fairing that limits leg movement and adds bulk in order to reduce drag...
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 03, 2016, 06:44:58 AM »

Sweet....you will be able to use the Zero app to update the bikes firmware for 2017 models!  This will save trips to the dealer if Zero makes changes.  This is an awesome change! I just hope they have done it in a secure way....the last thing I need is for someone to hack my bike  :(  Just a few more days to find out what else they have up their sleeves  ;)

I'm checking now to see if I spot any other changes in the app.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:12:49 AM by mrwilsn »
2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 03, 2016, 07:09:41 AM »

It looks like a slight face lift for the app too....at least on the Android side of the house.  Mainly, I notice some yellow highlighting at the bottom for the screen selected and a change to the battery page so that you don't have to toggle tabs in order to see all the battery info....now you can just scroll and for my Nexus 6P that means I can see everything about the battery on one screen except for the number of charge cycles which I don't really pay attention to.

Here is a before picture of the battery screen.  Every Android user should be familiar with the Battery 1 and Battery 2 tabs.

Here is the OLD Battery 1 tab

And the OLD Battery 2 tab

And the NEW Battery screen  ;D

And if you scroll down on the new battery screen you see the charge cycles.

I also noticed that the app seemed to connect to my bike a lot quicker than normal.  Usually I have to turn the bike on and hold the mode button and then connect.  But with the updated app....I had it opened when I walked out to my bike and it just connected automatically!  The information was wrong but as soon as I turned the bike on everything looked perfect!  I bet the bad data before turning the bike on is because I have a 2014 Zero S.  Newer bikes may see better performance.

Other than that it doesn't look like any other changes.  The riding screen looks the same and they haven't added any new options to put on the riding screen (like battery voltage or cell balance).
2014 Zero S

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 03, 2016, 07:27:52 AM »

Back on the battery size for 2017, If the 2017 SR came out with a 14.8 kw/h battery I would seriously consider trading in my 2015 SR for a 2017 SR.
I could add a power tank to my 2015 but I want the light weight and storage area.
Would anyone else be tempted to upgrade?

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 03, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »

Sweet....you will be able to use the Zero app to update the bikes firmware for 2017 models!  This will save trips to the dealer if Zero makes changes.  This is an awesome change! I just hope they have done it in a secure way....the last thing I need is for someone to hack my bike  :(  Just a few more days to find out what else they have up their sleeves  ;)

I'm checking now to see if I spot any other changes in the app.

j

Thanks I just updated my app.  Im not so sure Im in a hurry to update my firmware ive read people start having problems after updating.  I guess the bikes are like cell phones.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31