• October 07, 2024, 10:29:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31

Author Topic: Zero 2017  (Read 46775 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Zero 2017
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2016, 09:04:10 PM »

What month have they announced new models in previous years? (I can't seem to find a way to phrase that more clearly, but you know what I mean!)

Traditionally, they introduce the new models at some motorcycle show in Europe...I think Intermot? If it is Intermot, this year it's October 5-9.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2016, 10:22:42 PM »

I think I can say based on what I saw that the 2017 models will try to solve the list price commitment in a reasonable way, and also seems to work hard on some very important quality issues that people rightly note here (I think I know which but shouldn't say until it's out/confirmed). But mainly they made a point that they're trying to broaden sales and make sure they can sell everywhere. They do sound like they're aiming for larger scale for now, which means that the existing platform will just get tweaks for a little while.

For what it's worth, larger scale is strategically important to our concerns, since both parts are cheaper to order in bulk (meaning we should get better parts), and a technology investment is more justified with a larger sales base, and just like the ABS adoption, there was a large fixed cost and development time to bring something out. But it does mean that probably two more years will not feel revolutionary each time.

Naturally, they vaguely alluded to projects that spoke to many concerns on the forum, including mine. Hell, someone referred to me as "Mr. Rice" in the third person while talking to me before realizing I was that person! Spooky. Someone also said "Brian Trice", which always amuses me and is one reason I put the middle initial in. :)

I strongly suspect that just about anything we have touched on has had some kind of mockup/feasibility test; the question is how much bandwidth they have to carry those projects to market and of course which ones won't feel risky / unprofitable.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2016, 10:40:58 PM »

From what I saw, I am guessing a return to an even smaller S bike to fit into the entry level commuter range.
Given what they were saying about trying to address, entry level riders  I wouldn't be surprised to see a $7,999 or even
$6,999 price Model S
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:43:22 PM by KrazyEd »

mrbutler

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2016, 10:51:14 PM »

Hey all. First post here, but I've been lurking around for awhile. I work for a Zero dealer, and am our resident "Zero Hero" here.

My rep keeps telling me there is some exciting stuff happening with the '17 model, but he can't tell me what. We should know more in late Oct i think.

I did manage to find a link to what appears to be someone doing some web design for Zero on their '17 models. Either they didn't change a whole lot, or they didn't give out the new specs...

https://dribbble.com/shots/2947603-Zero-Motorcycles-Jason-Kirtley-Dribbb/attachments/612472

'14 Triumph Tiger 800 '06 Honda Big Ruckus

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2016, 12:21:18 AM »

Since Zero reads this forum, according to Mr. Trice  ;D, I hope they are working on a bike with a little more range and more storage. Looking around our parking lot at work, I think I have the shortest bike. Some of these riders have long freeway commutes, and at least one would buy a Zero today if it went 120 to 150 miles at high speed on a single charge, so 20% more than a ZF13+PT. The bikes with storage here have larger cases than I have. Some of those without cases have a bundle of stuff tied down to the seat. I think Zero has the shorter range commutes covered, but needs something to cover a county with a lot of bedroom communities spread far and wide like San Diego.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2016, 02:44:54 AM »

Some of these riders have long freeway commutes, and at least one would buy a Zero today if it went 120 to 150 miles at high speed on a single charge...

I've been saying since I got my bike (end of January 2014) that I wished I'd had the option to buy a larger bike, either a naked bike or a cruiser style, that had twice the battery capacity. Yes, it would be a lot more expensive, and a bigger, heavier machine, but I'd have at least been interested, and may have sprung for a few thousand bucks more.

I realize the electric motorcycle niche is already pretty small, but I think there's room for the bike I describe.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2016, 04:52:15 AM »

Some of these riders have long freeway commutes, and at least one would buy a Zero today if it went 120 to 150 miles at high speed on a single charge...

I've been saying since I got my bike (end of January 2014) that I wished I'd had the option to buy a larger bike, either a naked bike or a cruiser style, that had twice the battery capacity. Yes, it would be a lot more expensive, and a bigger, heavier machine, but I'd have at least been interested, and may have sprung for a few thousand bucks more.

I realize the electric motorcycle niche is already pretty small, but I think there's room for the bike I describe.

Me too. But I am not holding my breath for that to happen.  I think both KrazyEd and Brian are likely going in the right direction.  Zero definitely wants to increase unit sales and a smaller, less expensive, city bike would be one way to do that.  I also suspect that Zero has their eye on CA's "carbon credit" market boondoggle and would likely be able to sell these credits for a nice bundle of cash.  The more units sold, the more cash comes rolling in from the big rich polluters.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2016, 08:48:40 AM »

They have been announcing at the AIMExpo in Orlando recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2016, 10:35:55 AM »

When I took the Zero factory tour, I saw a bunch of tank plastics with hard lockable storage compartments. 

So, probably no more small zipper bags.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2016, 11:23:54 AM »

Me too. But I am not holding my breath for that to happen.  I think both KrazyEd and Brian are likely going in the right direction.  Zero definitely wants to increase unit sales and a smaller, less expensive, city bike would be one way to do that.  I also suspect that Zero has their eye on CA's "carbon credit" market boondoggle and would likely be able to sell these credits for a nice bundle of cash.  The more units sold, the more cash comes rolling in from the big rich polluters.  ;)

How do the CA carbon credits work?  How many credits does Zero get for selling a Zero?  What is that worth?

You are not talking about ZEV Credits right?  Do they give those to motorcycles?  Those credits are not really worth that much today.  Maybe a 4 years ago.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2016, 06:26:11 PM »

still not news about the 2017 models?

Since I was curious and I wanted a direct answer, I emailed Zero yesterday when you asked.

According to Zero, they announce all the specs for the 2017 models at the EICMA event in Milan Italy, November 10-13.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2016, 09:14:18 PM »

How do the CA carbon credits work?  How many credits does Zero get for selling a Zero?  What is that worth?

You are not talking about ZEV Credits right?  Do they give those to motorcycles?  Those credits are not really worth that much today.  Maybe a 4 years ago.

California has its own system of selling "carbon credits" (that they hope the rest of the world will emulate).  The system is pretty confusing to me, but from what I read in the newspaper, companies who don't pollute (or pollute very little) can sell their good deeds at a yearly auction to big polluters who then can used those "carbon credits" to offset their polluting contribution to the environment. Apparently the state splits the money with the non-polluters (I think) and then they can use those funds to do "environmental friendly" projects such as building a $100 billion high-speed rail system between SF and LA that no one will ride because the cost and travel time will be much more than flying.  No doubt some of the money will also be spent on pet projects with an environment friendly spin.  ::)

Personally, having large companies paying to pollute instead of having to clean up their act kind of rubs me the wrong way.   >:(

And you are correct that this year the money generated by the auction kind of tanked, but the state regulators are hoping that is only temporary.  ::)

I have no idea if Zero has jumped on the bandwagon, but I am pretty sure that any credits that come from their meager sales would be pretty minimal, compared with something like a solar or windmill farm , and the overhead costs of joining the game might not be worth the effort, but their credits could be of interest to a motorcycle company in the future that gets caught not meeting pollution standards on one of their models.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »

My rep keeps telling me there is some exciting stuff happening with the '17 model, but he can't tell me what. We should know more in late Oct i think.

I did manage to find a link to what appears to be someone doing some web design for Zero on their '17 models. Either they didn't change a whole lot, or they didn't give out the new specs...

https://dribbble.com/shots/2947603-Zero-Motorcycles-Jason-Kirtley-Dribbb/attachments/612472

If that link is correct then the FX has a new frame, note no adjustment on the new rear swing arm. 

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2016, 07:41:32 PM »

pretty sure that frame is from the 2011 Zero XU.  I think that page must have been from someone's school project to design a webpage or something and has no connection to Zero at all.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2016, 10:53:20 AM »

pretty sure that frame is from the 2011 Zero XU.  I think that page must have been from someone's school project to design a webpage or something and has no connection to Zero at all.
That would make sense, why would zero design a new FX frame now.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31