• October 07, 2024, 10:21:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: Zero 2017  (Read 46774 times)

skoleskibe

• View Profile
Re: Zero 2017
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2016, 12:18:14 AM »

For a 2017 Zero sr i would like:
centerstand,
immobilizer,
Speedpilot, or possibility to set max speed all the way down to 40 or 50 km/h
Integrated gps
Integrated usb charge socket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this list seems odd to me.  I understand the immobilizer for insurance and theft.. but why do you feel the need for a centerstand, a lower max speed or the GPS?

Regarding a centerstand, if you weren't so obsessed with liter-bike performance as "normal", you'd appreciate the ability to maintain one's own bike in remote areas with a minimal set of tools or dealer support. A bike without a centerstand to me is a bike dependent on a random mechanic I can't trust. That's worth more to me than liter-bike performance.

On the other hand, inbuilt immobilizer and GPS to me signal that someone is overly sensitive to theft; the black market for Zero motorcycles is basically nil. This is placebo protection against idiots, which unfortunately is a losing proposition, because idiots can ruin your bike trying to steal it anyway. Most motorcycle manufacturers don't include these (rightly) because they're technology that gets outdated very easily compared to the price. They're fine as accessories.
you're not skoleskibe.

Centerstand is useful on some bikes... but I dont see it as useful for the zero S/SR.
Its not like you're going to be changing tires on this thing, nor can it really go out of range of a tow.
You dont need to remove the tire to plug it. It doesnt have tubes. The belt isnt a roadside change.
Shock adjustment is a possibility, but you can do that with a sidestand by lifting the bike onto it. you know.. like on a sportbike... where you have to (or atleast should) be changing spring preload for a passenger.

so without knowing a good reason... I asked.
But i am skoleskibe, and i would like a centerstand, for easy maintenance, eg finding that illusive hole in the tire, to clean the rim's occasionally, to easy check the belt and so on.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2016, 01:41:43 AM »

By gps i mean a gps wayfinder, not a trackingdevice.

I would be embarrassed for Zero if they did this. Any attempt at including way finding software on cars has been inherently embarrassing and easily dated.

I develop software professionally so I'm too aware of the costs and risks of this. Zero should stick with a more configurable dash and data and basic control APIs over Bluetooth or CAN that they can expose securely.
I agree...they shouldn't put in any way finding software.  But they should update the display to support Android Auto and Apple Car Play.  Then you can just use your phone and project Google maps to the bike display.  It could also be used for things like changing tracks while listening to music and could offer a simpler solution for customizing the display (I.e. just customize the display you want in the app and then project it).  Unfortunately, this is not likely something Zero will do themselves. They will wait until some display vendor offers the capability and then maybe new bikes would get it.

Yes, you can just mount your phone....I've done that using the RAM mount and I have the busted up phone that flew off...and was then run over by cars... when I hit a large pot hole [emoji22]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2016, 03:26:48 AM »

centerstand,
immobilizer,
Integrated gps

this list seems odd to me.  I understand the immobilizer for insurance and theft.. but why do you feel the need for a centerstand, a lower max speed or the GPS?

Regarding a centerstand, if you weren't so obsessed with liter-bike performance as "normal", you'd appreciate the ability to maintain one's own bike in remote areas with a minimal set of tools or dealer support. A bike without a centerstand to me is a bike dependent on a random mechanic I can't trust. That's worth more to me than liter-bike performance.

On the other hand, inbuilt immobilizer and GPS to me signal that someone is overly sensitive to theft; the black market for Zero motorcycles is basically nil. This is placebo protection against idiots, which unfortunately is a losing proposition, because idiots can ruin your bike trying to steal it anyway. Most motorcycle manufacturers don't include these (rightly) because they're technology that gets outdated very easily compared to the price. They're fine as accessories.
you're not skoleskibe.

Centerstand is useful on some bikes... but I dont see it as useful for the zero S/SR.
Its not like you're going to be changing tires on this thing, nor can it really go out of range of a tow.
You dont need to remove the tire to plug it. It doesnt have tubes. The belt isnt a roadside change.
Shock adjustment is a possibility, but you can do that with a sidestand by lifting the bike onto it. you know.. like on a sportbike... where you have to (or atleast should) be changing spring preload for a passenger.

But i am skoleskibe, and i would like a centerstand, for easy maintenance, eg finding that illusive hole in the tire, to clean the rim's occasionally, to easy check the belt and so on.

in that case, check this out:  http://www.endurostar.com/
I keep something similar when I go touring on my sportbikes.

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2016, 04:25:02 PM »

By gps i mean a gps wayfinder, not a trackingdevice.

I would be embarrassed for Zero if they did this. Any attempt at including way finding software on cars has been inherently embarrassing and easily dated.

I develop software professionally so I'm too aware of the costs and risks of this. Zero should stick with a more configurable dash and data and basic control APIs over Bluetooth or CAN that they can expose securely.
++
I'm also a SW engineer by background, and fully agreed.
The vast majority of people I know, riders included, use one of the many smartphone-based Nav apps anyway... Free, realtime-traffic aware and do dynamic routing. They're not great for finding the twisties in an unfamiliar locale, but that kind of stuff could be an overlay. Certainly not something a tiny company like Zero should get involved in.
Now if Zero had standard DC charging, then integrating charging stops into routing makes sense... But again, it's not Zeor specific.

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2016, 04:46:11 PM »

How about this for a new concept: an electric bike that will compete with the Honda Grom (125cc) market. Maybe 20 HP, 40 mile range, 60+ mph top speed, low weight and low seat height for new/short riders. MSRP about $4000 USD. It will of course also compete with the scooter market since it'll be easy to ride and light.

That's a tiny market.
People interested in a low-range, slow-ish bike are usually looking for lowest-cost personal transportation. At the higher end, that's (some) scooters, electric or not, at the lower end, an electric bicycle can be used for pretty much all <10mi one-way trips (*) much more cheaply (**). Also, 60mph isn't needed -- 40mph is plenty for this everywhere I've seen (I'm in country where scooters outnumber motorcycles 10:1, the reverse ratio from Europe or the US), and in many places reduces the licensing/registration requirements.

Recall that any vehicle classified as motorcycle already has basic barriers to entry: You need an appropriate driver's license (not trivial to get in many regions), insurance, extra gear (most countries/regions require helmets at least) which many people regard as a hassle. People willing to go through that will mostly want a bigger/faster bike; the gateway drug to e-motorcycles will be 250cc ICE singles (in the wacky US, even 600 twins), as they are for standard ICE bikes.
Also, the cost you're suggesting is only possible with high volume manufacturing & thin margins. Zero won't get there for 3-4 years at least. Only one of the Big 4 could make such a bike work commercially.

(*) Unless you can't use bike paths or sidewalks & the only riding route is sharing crowded roads with much faster cars -- the danger outweighs the benefit in that case.
(**) For example, the RadPower RadWagon is a 750W electric cargo bicycle capable of hauling a couple of kids  or ~200lbs of cargo, for $1500.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2016, 09:15:21 AM »

That's intriguing. If you have it on hand, could you take a photo of it in use on your Zero? The belly pan of the Zero is a little odd, and I'm not sure exactly how sturdily it would hook into it without drilling a hole.

"beware of high winds" on the instructions page is not something one usually hears about a centerstand, but as a cheap compromise it seems workable.

Honestly, for road-side work, I'd really be focused on checking the belt and cleaning road debris off of the rear sprocket, and probably adjusting for alignment and belt tension.

And aside from road-side work, I'd trust a well-designed centerstand over Zero's DS/R kickstand geometry! I think they screwed that up, honestly - the balance of the bike over the pressure points it makes with the tires is too narrow. Every time I notice an S/SR kickstand, I'm annoyed that it actually is better-poised.

I've noticed in some travel stories, that the easiest way to recover from a tire blowout is to take the wheel off at the side of the road, hitch a ride to a town to get a repair, then recovering the bike later. For that scenario, there's no way to leave the bike alone on this kind of stand. But it definitely works for the basic case of getting the tire off the ground to spin.

For garage work, a centerstand just makes maintenance easier, because the front fork can swing more easily, lateral forces are balanced, the headlamp shines straight ahead instead of at an angle, and every horizontal surface inside the bike lays flat instead of at an angle.

For the DS/DSR, getting the wheel off is best done with a center lift, unlike my V-Strom with its sportbike-style front fender and irregular belly shape (without a specifically chosen sturdy bash guard). But a centerstand typically provides just enough clearance to do it with less hassle. This makes a difference.

And yes, I can go outside the range of a (convenient) tow. That's kind of my focus.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:17:29 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

guppie70

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2016, 01:08:46 PM »

My wish list:
- new design that includes an OEM fairing (would probably increase the range as well)
- high tech forks/brakes with real stopping power
- traction control
- corner ABS
- LED lighting
- color dash display with the option to modify the layout - or even better like suggested above: Android Auto/Apple Car Play
- quick charge option so that you can quick charge at any car charger (thanks to @Pprior for that suggestion)

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2016, 02:15:53 PM »

centerstand,
immobilizer,
Integrated gps

you're not skoleskibe.

I see that it'll do the job, but catering that with you on Daily basis, might just as Well have that centerstand. ;-)

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2016, 08:43:10 AM »

1)  functional fenders
2)  "gas tank" that isn't so wide (so that clip-on handlebars can be attached)
3)  belt protection
4)  fairing
5)  styling that is less angular and more curvy
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

TJOBriens

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2016, 11:35:31 PM »

LED Taillight that will fit older FX bikes.
Traction Control
Motor Options from the Factory
Added Connection and Place for a 3rd or 4th Battery on the FX - Maybe saddle bags that can hold Batteries Safe and Secure.

TJOBriens

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2016, 11:40:09 PM »

---new headlight style for fx/fxs...possibly update the headlights on the other models as well.
---+1 for a more powerful onboard charger, maybe something similar to the quick charger integrated on the bike as standard.
---keep upping the torque/hp specs(faster is always better). Some of those other E-bikes got some crazy specs.
---lower price
---Graphene battery (I wish...)

Yes LED Headlight for he FX

The only way to get a lower price is to sell more bikes and decrease cost to build. Get some good video Reviews on YouTube not like motorcycle.com and the others that say it's good enough and it's ok.  More videos of people's first reaction, those are awesome because we have all been there and can't help but smile.

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2016, 07:04:52 PM »

still not news about the 2017 models?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2016, 08:05:49 PM »

still not news about the 2017 models?

The only things about the 2017 models that I have gleaned from my factory tour is that they will be using the same (H4?) headlight bulb and will look pretty much the same.  Still no word on the planned 2017 model introduction date.  I think Zero just concentrated on cleaning up any bugs in their system and making the Zero comply with the applicable Euro 4 and other worldwide vehicle regulations that go into effect next year - which probably consists of a lot of governmental paperwork and testing laboratory certifications.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2016, 08:23:18 PM »

What month have they announced new models in previous years? (I can't seem to find a way to phrase that more clearly, but you know what I mean!)
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2016, 08:36:57 PM »

I think Zero just concentrated on cleaning up any bugs in their system and making the Zero comply with the applicable Euro 4 and other worldwide vehicle regulations that go into effect next year - which probably consists of a lot of governmental paperwork and testing laboratory certifications.   ???

I wonder how many times they got trapped in governmental loops that they cant comply with because they're electric... something like "you must have emissions PPM proof from X"... but X wont write it since theres no emissions to test.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31