• October 04, 2024, 07:17:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: An unusual e-bike inside-the-wheel drive system  (Read 717 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
An unusual e-bike inside-the-wheel drive system
« on: December 07, 2015, 05:03:01 AM »

Here is something a little different: 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: An unusual e-bike inside-the-wheel drive system
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 09:25:45 AM »

Its cool that someone built it and that it exists but I'm not seeing the advantages over a regular old hub motor.  I thought it was kind of funny to hear the guy talk about it like everyone is gonna want one.

I would like it better if the story was "check out this crazy thing I built!" instead of "look at this revolutionary new product that's going to change the wheel forever!"

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 06:10:48 AM »

This is a better interesting invention than this clugey idea:

Doctorbass electric recllining bike/snowmobile!
Awesome! I have been trying to figure out what to do when snow hits...I may have just found the answer! I might have to clone this idea (with my own twist of course) [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 07:11:52 AM »

Here is something a little different: 

Interesting.  I don't see what problem it solves though....
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 11:27:21 AM »

This is really interesting! 

I think the major benefit I see with this is that this motor/wheel can easily be installed on pretty much any bike.  By containing the motor and battery in the front wheel, you free up room and weight in the rest of the bike.  No need for adaptation to the gearing or pedal system.  I wonder if there are advantages from a front wheel drive system.  Obviously the wheel is still light enough to perform a wheelie.  So at a glance it's significantly superior to current ebike systems I have seen, which are really heavy or at the very least involve some conversion work from an existing bike. 

Cheers for sharing!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 09:40:09 PM »

I don't know.  ??? I am still scratching my head regarding the entire concept and how it works.  I have problems figuring out how the device deals with the wheel spokes and air valve and that comment about the wheel not moving also confused me. ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 09:03:30 AM »

I don't know.  ??? I am still scratching my head regarding the entire concept and how it works.  I have problems figuring out how the device deals with the wheel spokes and air valve and that comment about the wheel not moving also confused me. ???

There aren't any spokes (they must either have a custom rim or filed the holes in a rim without spokes installed), they must be sending the air valve out the side of the rim and I think they meant the assembly in the middle doesn't move but the rim and tire do.

But I still don't see the advantages...or as Pat says, what problem it solves.  Why not just use a regular old hub motor?

I'm definitely not buying the "you could put anything you want in there...a TV screen....a coffee maker...whatever you want!"  Yeah right! The unsprung weight of a hub motor drives endless debate....why you would EVER want to add anything inside the wheel that doesn't help you move forward is completely beyond me.  ???

I think the major benefit I see with this is that this motor/wheel can easily be installed on pretty much any bike.  By containing the motor and battery in the front wheel, you free up room and weight in the rest of the bike.  No need for adaptation to the gearing or pedal system.  I wonder if there are advantages from a front wheel drive system.  Obviously the wheel is still light enough to perform a wheelie.  So at a glance it's significantly superior to current ebike systems I have seen, which are really heavy or at the very least involve some conversion work from an existing bike. 

A mid drive conversion is a little more complicated but you can install a hub motor on ANY bike under the sun with very little effort and moving weight from the rest of the bike into the wheel is the opposite of what you want to do....unsprung weight is your enemy.  The ability to do a wheelie doesn't really say much about the actual weight.  It's possible to do a wheelie with a pretty decent amount of weight up front.  I guarantee you could do it with a 20lb weight up there and that's more than most (if not all) hub motors.
2014 Zero S

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 09:37:40 AM »

Its really hard to reinvent the engineer.  At one point in my engineering career, I was a suspension engineer for trucks and tracked vehicles.  I have seen a lot of concepts die on the road to reality.  The tweel is my favorite. 

It does not deal with the no spokes.  If you watch the @4:10 of the video, you can see how out of round the rim is when he runs it on the stand.  A good condition bike wheel should be .5 mm true and round, so you should never see any wobble.  Without the tension of the spokes, a conventional lightweight rim is as strong as a wet noodle. 

The air valve is in the regular place. You can see this in the video.  There must be a notch in the pulley wheels to accommodate it, which is a burden on the system in my opinion.
Pages: [1]