• October 04, 2024, 05:23:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Riding gear?  (Read 730 times)

manitou

• View Profile
Riding gear?
« on: November 15, 2015, 02:52:10 AM »

I'm new to "winter" type riding. Living in Florida most of my life, there was only like 3 weeks of "winter".  Oddly enough, Texas actually freezes over sometimes. I'm in the market for a new jacket to go with my new DS. What jackets are people wearing this winter?

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Re: Riding gear?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 09:29:53 AM »

I wear a Tourmaster Flex Series 2, and it keeps me comfy in all kinds of weather since it is highly adjustable.  In winter I wear the liner and outer jacket as well as thick gloves and a balaclava.  That does the trick for me.  Originally I'm from New Hampshire, so I'm okay with a bit colder weather than most people.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 04:08:15 PM »

My winter gear is Rukka Armas. It has proven to be completely waterproof in some extremely heavy downpours so no issues staying dry. Comes with a removable liner and also works well with heated gear. Yes it is pricy but no regrets and would buy it again.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 11:25:23 PM »

A good dual layer jacket with a liner you can remove seems to be about the best of both worlds.  After that just layer layer layer.  I have a Teksport liner jacket with a bunch of vents and a liner it also had some soft armor back elbow and shoulder pieces it was on clearance for $120 it is a full length jacket so over the waist. Not bad it covers my needs so far but i know there are much better ones out there. I find it much cheaper to get Walmart warm layers of clothes instead of really high priced cold weather "motorcycle gear"  Not to say they don't make some great stuff but at a pretty high price.  I used to go on long training rides for my bicycle racing days, clean amateur not pro, they had some Starter brand loose spandex pants and pull over shirts that were good base layers as they wicked the sweat away from your skin.  Also some cheap sweat pants because I find my knees get very cold in the air flow. Just some budget minded advise.  Otherwise go with the others as it will be much better quality.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 05:01:52 AM »

I ride with a Helite "explosive" jacket. Best jacket I've owned, warm (removable thermal liner), exceptionally waterproof and has integrated airbags which will go off if I and the bike part company... ;)

http://www.motolegends.com/jackets/helite-airbag-touring-jacket-black.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 05:06:35 AM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 07:02:32 AM »

I have about 60k miles on a revit sand set (the original set)

The liners don't protect against rain much anymore and now I use an external shell for heavy rain. A lot of the frequently accessed Velcro pockets no longer have attached Velcro. It works in a get-off ... I have had two ... well three if you count the < 1mph going up an iced ramp fall.

For winter I use a Aerostitch Kanetsu jacket with heated elements and the inflatable air pockets. You can just use the air down to about 35 then you need to use the heated elements and man does it get warm. Gloves T5 gerbings for winter ... they lasted 2 seasons before breaking in different ways ... currently thinking of replacing them.

Get a small shield for your bike to keep wind off your chest ... and on very cold days (even if it isn't going to rain) wear an over gear rain suit to block wind.

The coldest I have ridden in is -10F so far ... hottest 110F both with my zero commuting 30 miles to work.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 03:16:39 AM »

First off, thanks for the replies and thoughts.
I went s different direction and got an Olympia motoquest.  I like the "mega vent" setup for the hot weather riding I tend to do. Still, I wanted winter/rain options (I want it all.. Why not right?). I do have one or 2 complaints about the jacket for what it's worth. It is a little heavy, but the real beef is with the armor. In particular, the left shoulder doesn't seem placed correctly. The armor in general seems stiff and yuck. I called Olympia after hours yesterday and left a voicemail. I surprisingly got a call from the owner at Olympia today. Level headed and understanding. I may try D3O shoulder replacement armor some day soon, but that customer service call was the deciding factor to keep the jacket and see if I grow to love it.
Just my 2 cents.
Pages: [1]