• October 03, 2024, 07:30:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

What do you like more.... stopping or not stopping?

Pulling up to a red light which changes before I stop is the best part of my commute!
- 8 (50%)
Stopping is the "silence bomb" that gets my heart beating the faster I can stop the better!
- 1 (6.3%)
I avoid stopping by inching up to stop lights...
- 6 (37.5%)
I use bicycling logic and treat stop signs as a reminder to check for cops...
- 1 (6.3%)
Stoppies only!
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: January 03, 2016, 11:08:20 AM

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What do you like more.... stopping or not stopping?  (Read 777 times)

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
What do you like more.... stopping or not stopping?
« on: November 04, 2015, 11:08:20 AM »

I've always been a "complete stop" at a stop sign kind of driver. To me the instruction is quite clear. (Yes speed limits are subject to 'fuzzy logic')

That fetish is complimented when zooming in on an Electric motorcycle by the reward of ear catching silence.

12,000 miles later and that is still a thrill.

Statistically significant enjoyment vector - the "near stop" - coming up to a red light... which changes green prior to stopping.  Zoom away - already in the "correct gear". AWESOME

I'm such a late braker - I rarely will only regenerate all the way to the stop. I have an uphill stop sign on my route I often try. Patience is not my virtue.

mguw

• View Profile
Re: What do you like more.... stopping or not stopping?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 08:09:54 PM »

I like the stops and the red light for the stoppies...   Some times I am frustrated when the red-light turns green just when I arrive!

A+ Marcel

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 09:05:08 AM »

For stop signs, I typically come in pretty hot and then brake hard. I like to stop for as long as possible without taking my feet off the pegs then roll on the throttle hard and zoom away.  I had to replace my front pads after 8k despite any help from regen.  I don't use the rear brake at all and use custom mode with regen set to max for torque and braking settings.

I find that regen can help significantly in stopping but it can't be counted on because of the algorithms used by Zero (e.g. when bike is fully charged and throttle is neutral, regen pulses but once charge goes down as long as speed is below 70mph regen is constant with neutral throttle).

I mostly use regen for stop lights where I have a chance of not stopping at all because light changes and then as you say roll on the throttle with perfect gear assignment and zoom away in near silence. Regen is good in traffic too.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:07:26 AM by mrwilsn »
2014 Zero S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 10:29:48 AM »

I find that regen can help significantly in stopping but it can't be counted on because of the algorithms used by Zero (e.g. when bike is fully charged and throttle is neutral, regen pulses but once charge goes down as long as speed is below 70mph regen is constant with neutral throttle).

Zero doesn't [or can't safely] enable regen with a full battery. It's just that the battery can't act as a load for the spinning motor when fully charged. Usually this only lasts for half a block, so just plan around that bit.

The thing you can control is regen below 15 mph, which is disabled by default for efficiency reasons (crude explanation: it's difficult to induce a load at low speeds without applying some current to the field). The firmware interface accessed by DigiNow's OBD-II dongle allows you to enable regen all the way down to a stop. The controller settings also include the upper speed where regen cuts off (70mph you've noticed).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 10:53:25 AM »

Zero doesn't [or can't safely] enable regen with a full battery. It's just that the battery can't act as a load for the spinning motor when fully charged. Usually this only lasts for half a block, so just plan around that bit.

The thing you can control is regen below 15 mph, which is disabled by default for efficiency reasons (crude explanation: it's difficult to induce a load at low speeds without applying some current to the field). The firmware interface accessed by DigiNow's OBD-II dongle allows you to enable regen all the way down to a stop. The controller settings also include the upper speed where regen cuts off (70mph you've noticed).

I have been thinking about getting one of DigiNow's dongles but I will probably wait until after I get my Super Charger.  Its good to know some of those settings can be changed using the dongle.

I was just giving an example though.  It may not necessarily be Zero programming (it could be the SEVCON itself) but I have found that regen does not work consistently on my 2014 Zero S (maybe things have improved on 2015 and/or 2016 models?). Half a block is a little short for "pulse mode" to stop when at full charge. I typically see at least a mile before "pulse mode" stops with a neutral throttle...on streets with 30-40mph speed limits.  That's mostly an annoyance.  The REAL issue I have is in situations of hard braking.  Most of the time regen kicks in just like I expect and it can REALLY boost stopping power. But sometimes it just doesn't work! I have had situations where the bike can be at 50% charge and I hit the front brakes and there is no regen.  Thats why I say you can't count on it.  I brake like its not going to be there and if it is then great I stop faster.  It could be something specific to custom mode, its been a long time since I have ridden in Sport and I have only used Eco a few times just to see what it was like.  I have also had rides where regen isn't there at all despite being in custom mode with torque and braking regen settings at 100%.  Turn the bike OFF and then back ON and everything works normal.  It wouldn't surprise me if these are two symptoms of the same problem...some kind of firmware bug in the SEVCON or somethings (maybe I need a firmware update?).

On a regen tangent....another thing worth noting that I haven't heard anyone mention is that regen can add just as much heat to the motor and controller as heavy acceleration.  On a Zero, if you are just accelerating at max on every stop you may never even come close to a temp warning.  But if you do that AND you are braking hard to come to every stop you can get to a temp light a lot quicker.  Whenever I get a temp light I ease up so I have never gotten to the point where performance is cut back but I would assume that regen will be cut back too, just to be safe.
2014 Zero S

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »

I was noticing myself the other day starting from a full charge going down there fairly steep hill for about a mile that the region was trying and cutting out about once a second. It was fairly disconcerting.

I'm looking forward to trying the digitnow dongle. As I understand it what zeros app shows as 100% regenerative is actually only about 10% of what the controller is capable of doing and I wouldn't mind having some more aggressive regen, having gotten used to some BMW electric sedan rentals last year, and finding it convenient to drive with mostly just the one pedal.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 06:36:38 PM »

I ride my 2015 SR on Custom with Regen at 100%.  It is effective immediately as far as I can tell and is very consistant.  I live in Florida where it is very flat and I usually only hit the brakes right before coming to a complete stop. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 11:38:08 PM »

I was noticing myself the other day starting from a full charge going down there fairly steep hill for about a mile that the region was trying and cutting out about once a second. It was fairly disconcerting.

I'm looking forward to trying the digitnow dongle. As I understand it what zeros app shows as 100% regenerative is actually only about 10% of what the controller is capable of doing and I wouldn't mind having some more aggressive regen, having gotten used to some BMW electric sedan rentals last year, and finding it convenient to drive with mostly just the one pedal.

I think if there was any more regen i would want some kind of variable regen lever.  If it was just on/off regen you wouldnt be able to modulate your braking properly and would have difficulty coming to a smooth stop.  Plus there would be a risk of locking the rear wheel in slippery conditions.
Pages: [1]