• September 30, 2024, 11:26:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Petrol versus battery power comparison  (Read 1346 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Petrol versus battery power comparison
« on: October 11, 2015, 01:27:13 PM »

mguw

• View Profile
Re: Petrol versus battery power comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 03:34:25 PM »

Lol   I love it

A+ Marcel

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:54:25 PM »

I agree.  That was a very cute video - although it doesn't explain why using electric is better than IC very well.  While it makes a point, the video doesn't really explain why the electric mower ran so much longer than the gas mower.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 04:46:46 AM »

I've just done a tiny bit of research and here's a link:

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/lawn-mowers/cordless-battery-powered-lawn-mowers/page/2

One reviewer said he'd owned a Bosch for years and the batteries were as good as new. Until I'd watched the fully charged video I was blissfully unaware that electric lawnmowers had quietly gone cordless. Not only that but they have been for some time!

It makes perfect sense of course and it's great to see that they aren't stupidly expensive.

I shall go and have a look at the comments on YouTube and see if anyone has voiced Richard's point there. Perhaps Robert Llewellyn could be persuaded to do a follow-up?

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Petrol versus battery power comparison
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 05:10:51 AM »

Ok, I'm back from reading *some* of the comments on YouTube... There are over 400! Most of them aren't of the calibre we're used to here. One that I particularly liked though was a chap saying that he tells people that using petrol is like paying 90% income tax. I'm tempted to work the figures but here in the UK he's probably about right.

Rhamphorhynchus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 08:19:03 PM »

I've been using an Ego cordless mower for the last couple of years, and it's been great. It comes with a 224wh battery and a 2C charger, so since I also have their leaf blower, which also comes with a (half size) battery, I can swap back and forth and keep the tools running pretty continuously. That's been really handy when it comes time to clean up the leaves in autumn. Wish they'd do a snowblower though...

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 05:05:10 AM »

Love it!  :)

Electric motors don't waste energy pushing/pulling pistons up and down, pushing/pulling push-rods, rotating cam shafts, opening/closing valves, spinning smog pumps, water pumps, generators, etc. Not to mention the energy wasted as heat.

Electric is logical.

2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 09:55:15 PM »

Hell I watched it again and they didn't even hit on one huge difference. The electric was self propelled while the gas mower was just a push mower.  The guy has to turn down the speed when he first starts going.
Pages: [1]