• October 04, 2024, 09:20:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Aerodynamics  (Read 4244 times)

Killroy

• View Profile
Re: Aerodynamics
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 05:12:39 AM »

Burton, you last post was 666 :o

Did Vetter stop selling his kits?

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 05:17:09 AM »

How can you tell it was 666 ? Seems like a low number for total forum posts lol

Vetter went down ... and from the recent update I have seen he is on drugs which are helping him sleep but making him mental at the same time.

He bought an FX so he could make a new scooter which is electric based and builds off the work I am doing and Kraig has done. I don't think he has any kits in stock last time I heard from him BUT upon request he can get them however you want to contact Carol at this point. She does all the finances anyway.

If you wanted something thinner up front you might want the "bullet" faring instead.

Message me if you have more questions ;)
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 07:01:43 AM »

Burton, I'm even worse with a pen and paper than I am with a 3D rendering package, so I did model up at least a rough representation of what I had in mind. It's obviously not to scale or anything, just a general shape. I didn't draw any dimples on the back and side surfaces; that would be pretty labor intensive. I'm thinking I'd go with about a 1" diameter dimple, not too deep because I think it's the edges of the dimple that add the necessary energy to the boundary layer. I also have no reason to believe the "spine" on the back below the trunk area would be of any help, but it seems like it would help the air marry back together from the two sides with less turbulence.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 09:32:01 AM »

How can you tell it was 666 ? Seems like a low number for total forum posts lol

Vetter went down ... and from the recent update I have seen he is on drugs which are helping him sleep but making him mental at the same time.

He bought an FX so he could make a new scooter which is electric based and builds off the work I am doing and Kraig has done. I don't think he has any kits in stock last time I heard from him BUT upon request he can get them however you want to contact Carol at this point. She does all the finances anyway.

If you wanted something thinner up front you might want the "bullet" faring instead.

Message me if you have more questions ;)

I actually like the Vetter Kit, I just don't want the seat back and its $2000. 

I would consider this Airtech for $560. See how happy the rider is.  ;)

Looks like you can use the stock lights and custom make the wind screen to increase coverage a little.  Still needs a tail, which I would consider making myself with fiberglass or carbon fiber eventually.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 04:05:17 PM »

I came across this old post from autoblog about crossing the continent on an electric motorcycle and found this fairing rather nice.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2015, 05:23:30 PM »

I came across this old post from autoblog about crossing the continent on an electric motorcycle and found this fairing rather nice.

The problem is the loss from not covering a little more than the upper half of the front wheel :/ There is a reason fix wheeled aircraft do this.

Could you contact the author to see if they have run tests with and without the front cowl and what efficiency they gain with it on?

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2015, 05:48:12 PM »

I can send them an email this weekend, it is actually an electric race bike based on an old Norton frame: http://motoelectra.com/

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 05:51:02 PM »

Fixed your image since I think you killed their site lol

$600 for that dustbin fairing is a great deal ... it would look good with my bucket light as well ;) But it wouldn't serve my winter needs :/
This is where I wish I had money to throw around at ideas like this, document it, and find some way to monetize it ;)

Doug, would the dimples be on the massive rounded rectangle thing you got going on there?
Is there any reason for this shape? would the helmet be above the "box" area? etc etc ...

My designs are focusing on incorporating a seat into the front of a teardrop shape so the sides bulge out enough to catch the wind off the front fairing then Kamm tail that so I have room for license plate / lights etc. I have also seen hope in trying to do a "cut in" after the kamm to better form the break away point as seen on most vehicles which are considered "efficient"

But being as I don't even have the front on yet I haven't started any foam mockups lol

Erasmo, that would be so awesome if they have good data!

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2015, 07:28:23 PM »

Doug, would the dimples be on the massive rounded rectangle thing you got going on there?
Is there any reason for this shape? would the helmet be above the "box" area? etc etc ...

I've been spoiled having the trunk on my bike and I don't want to give it up. The box on top is an integrated trunk for storage. It would also make a convenient place to mount lights and the license plate.

Yeah, I'd put dimples on the backside of the whole thing, including the top box and the spine area. Anything that doesn't include the long, thin taper of the rear end of a full streamliner would benefit, I think. I believe Mike Corbin is right that anything less than that sort of tail wouldn't keep the flow laminar, and could benefit from dimpling.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2015, 08:17:44 PM »

Ahhhh. I love me some dimpling!!!! Strength, lightness, lots of benefits

Lots of work to mount fenders, I had a couple sets, ended up not going with the fairing idea on the fx, you would need a xu or super low suspension, and the obvious,  clip-ons

The S just seems to be a so much more  loan-able shape to hold a sport bike fairing.... Slightly jealous!
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2015, 11:06:44 PM »

Fixed your image since I think you killed their site lol

Oh, do you have mod powers.  I did a preview to see if the linked image would stick and everything looked good.  Do you think all the traffic from ElectricMotorcycleForum.com crashed the site?  8)

Do you have any links to your designs, lights and project bike you can share?

Why is the bucket light not good for the winter?  Snow scooper?

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2015, 01:11:09 AM »

Seems even my link doesn't work now :/ lol

No mod powers just went to archive.com with the link.

I said " it would look good with my bucket light as well" ...nothing wrong with the bucket light during winter outside the fact it houses a LED light and it can be a snow scooper but anything really is.

Don't have any of the "newer" concepts in 3D or pictures of them yet but some of the older ones are (like originals before I started to talk to Craig more)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/71805301@N05/with/14254736725/ (scroll down near bottom)

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2015, 10:13:12 PM »

Is Terry Hershner on EMF?

Burton

• View Profile

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2015, 02:00:06 AM »

Is Terry Hershner on EMF?

Since 2012 yes http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=profile;u=1639

Thanks to the links in this thread, I have been reading up and have become quite a fan of Vetter and Terry. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4