• October 04, 2024, 09:26:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Aerodynamics  (Read 4246 times)

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Aerodynamics
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 09:27:09 AM »

Here is a dustbin that has a good sized wind screen that allows the use of the stock headlight and turn signals:

I wonder what the difference between a stock bike, the dustbin bike, and the dustbin bike with someone laying on the tank would be with that design.

I ride year round in all weather ... being able to easily hide half my visor behind the lip of the front wind shield is crucial when it is snowing / raining / sleeting etc ...

My goal is to get close to what vetter proposed for the SR to see how it works out so we have a base line. From there I will likely make my own tail design as well as a vetter tail design and I might even chop off the rear "horns" on my frame to lower the seating 6" ... We will see ;)
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 09:27:44 AM »

There are many companies that will sell after market fairings for popular bikes.  I am thinking of buying a front fairing for another bike and modding it to fit my Zero.  Any ideas of bikes that might work best to fit the Zero's dimensions?  I have seen pictures of someone who has done this.  I'm not sure if the fairings were from a Honda but I think the tank said Honda.  I have even thought about contacting one of these companies to see how much it would cost to have a custom mold made for the Zero by making some minor changes to the fairings from a different bike.

To make it work I would need to figure out what to do with the tank.  I don't want a metal tank on my bike (especially after I install my super charger from DigiNow ;) but I might use an existing tank to make a mold for a Zero tank.  I would also want to keep the factory tail and seat...at least for now.

Here are a couple sites where fairings for many popular bikes can be bought.  There many others.

http://www.motorcycle-fairing.com/

http://www.oppracing.com/pages/motorcycle_fairings/

I know I could get better range with a Vetter fairing but I would rather settle with 10-15% improvement combined with a super charger than go for Vetter fairing and sacrifice handling and aesthetics.

However I do want to go with something a little more sport touring as opposed to sport....I'm not planning to ride around for long distance in a tuck.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 10:26:52 PM »

The real question is ...

How many people would be willing to buy a fairing custom made for the S / DS bikes?
At what cost?
With what expected range increase?
Finished or Un-finished ?

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 11:19:28 PM »

mrwilsn, I think I know the bike you mean and it's an RSV fairing.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/zero-sr-race-mods-124073.html

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 11:29:32 PM »

That is evtricity's bike

Cust tank / mounts, custom fairing mounts, ducting for motor, duct fan, duct fan mounts, ventilated motor, "foot brake" clutch lever etc etc etc ...

He might be able to speak to how much more or less efficient the bike is with the fairing he installed to give people and idea of what to expect. Note to he doesn't need a headlight ;)

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 12:06:09 AM »

You have loads of aftermarket fairing for most brands. It doesn't have to be custom made for a Zero if you can adapt an existing fairing with the right mounting kit.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 12:18:35 AM »

You have loads of aftermarket fairing for most brands. It doesn't have to be custom made for a Zero if you can adapt an existing fairing with the right mounting kit.

So then the trick would be as a group decide which fairing everyone is interested (given it will fit the width / length of the bike with little modification if any) then have one brave individual figure out all the mounting specifics and sell that solution. Be it a bracket set, plans, CNC files etc ...

Given how easy it is to make brackets I am surprised most people posting here wanting a sportier solution haven't done this already :/

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 12:35:25 AM »

For my money, I wouldn't be willing to settle for anything less than a full-coverage front/rear set, although I'd be willing to discuss a truncated tail if properly done -- the long, thin, tapered tail of a true streamliner is just too bulky and problematic for daily usage. That's why I was so excited to see Craig Vetter's proposal.

Short of that, I think I'll just stick with my Streamliner windshield and save my money.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 12:57:47 AM »

For my money, I wouldn't be willing to settle for anything less than a full-coverage front/rear set, although I'd be willing to discuss a truncated tail if properly done -- the long, thin, tapered tail of a true streamliner is just too bulky and problematic for daily usage. That's why I was so excited to see Craig Vetter's proposal.

Short of that, I think I'll just stick with my Streamliner windshield and save my money.
So you're looking for fairing more or less like the average BMW RT?

So then the trick would be as a group decide which fairing everyone is interested (given it will fit the width / length of the bike with little modification if any) then have one brave individual figure out all the mounting specifics and sell that solution. Be it a bracket set, plans, CNC files etc ...

Given how easy it is to make brackets I am surprised most people posting here wanting a sportier solution haven't done this already :/
You can have more than one fairing. I guess some people want a sporty fairing while others want to use the motorway in a comfy position with their helmet ouf of the wind. Once you find a suitable candidate you can source fairing from replacement shops or crashed bikes.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the frame hasn't changed since 2013?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 02:09:58 AM »

I recall the 2014+ frame has a higher load rating (to accommodate the power tank) and different machined bolt mounts for the plastics from the 2013.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 02:13:26 AM »

I recall the 2014+ frame has a higher load rating (to accommodate the power tank) and different machined bolt mounts for the plastics from the 2013.

I'm also told that the 2015 Showa shock won't mount up to my 2014, so there must be some difference in the shock towers.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 02:22:21 AM »

There is also a tray between the two main tubes above the battery which isn't present on the 2013 ...

Doug did you have ideas for a tail design mocked up anywhere?

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2015, 03:11:11 AM »

Someone said that the Vetter tail is actually wider than the front fairing for better hook up of the airflow from the front to the tail.  Does anyone have a top view picture.  How much wider is it?

Wider sacrifices the cross sectional area for a lower coefficient of drag. That is a interesting trade off.

I wonder what improvement a race-style fairing would do.  The accessory windscreen has said to be a 10% improvement. I  think a Vetter style fairing is not only more unique and classic, but it is way more optimal than a regular race style.  I would much rather build a slightly smaller Vetter fairing then buy a wannabe race set. 

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2015, 03:42:00 AM »

Doug did you have ideas for a tail design mocked up anywhere?

Nope. I've made a couple half-hearted attempts at rendering one, but my 3D modeling skills just aren't up to it. I've thought about getting a set of one of Craig Vetter's latest generic full-coverage fairings and seeing what I could do, but then I think about the lights....and clearing the kickstand....and integrating some storage into it so I don't have to give up my trunk....and tiedowns in case I want/need to trailer it sometime....and trying to get Mike Corbin's dimples right so they work....and a dozen other things, and it just seems like a better idea to let Craig do it when he's healthy again and has time to do it. I'd get finished with a really crappy version just about the same time he finishes, with a far more professional result, and probably cheaper too.

The upshot: I'm an EE, not an ME, and DigiNow still beat me and outdid me badly on a powerful on-board charger. These guys do it for a living, and can invest far more time into it than I can, and they just know what they're doing far better than I, even in a field pretty close related to my own.

I know, not much of a "can-do" attitude coming from an Engineer, huh? I think it's pretty realistic, though.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 04:41:51 AM »

Doug even a simple pencil drawing helps ... no need for 3d just yet.
Also I have a BFA in graphic design and am a self taught programmer ... guess which I do for a living? lol I also like challenges and creating stuff ;)

Killroy the Last vetter fairing on 99.9% of the bikes which have them have the tail the same or less width than the front. Only Alan Smith's bike has a wider tail than the front ;)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4