• October 04, 2024, 09:28:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Aerodynamics  (Read 4247 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Aerodynamics
« on: September 29, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »

Here is something to ponder:  The November issue of Rider magazine tests the new BMW R1200R and R1200RS.  Both bikes are virtually identical other than the RS has a half fairing and the R is "naked".  Ridden together, the R got an average of 38.4 mpg, while the RS achieved 44.1 mpg, or something like a 15% improvement by the installation of a half-fairing.  I'll bet a fairing is cheaper than 15% more batteries.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Ndm

• View Profile
Re: Aerodynamics
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:41:11 PM »

I've toyed with the idea of retrofitting a ninja 250 fairing to see the results, problem is that I can't find a decent donor for a reasonable price
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 11:43:32 PM »

I think we have seen people post about how their windshield helped their range so I imagine a small 3/4 faring would help a bit.

The issue of course is directing wind to motor / battery to keep it cool.

Prof. Geoff got 50% increase in range from just throwing on the vetter front if I recall correctly. Granted the last vetter fairing front cost a bit more than a standard $350-$700 aftermarket fiberglass faring.

Given the issue of not being purpose fit it might be easier to get some pink insulation foam, strap it on to the bike, carve it up, then cover in aluminum duct tape and take it for a spin. If it is good just fiberglass over it and build mounting brackets. If I had some time on my hands I would do this ... but given winter is coming up I need to get my vetter cowl on asap lol
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 11:44:19 PM »

I have seen mention of someone on here having this setup, but, have not been able to find any photos.
Check C/L in your area. Also eBay has them pretty cheaply. Race bodywork is usually much less than
factory. Since you would be making your own mounting setup, might be a good way to go.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »

I would like to see a fairing like Terry Hershner's Vetter Zero, but toned down, shrunk and improved cosmetics.

Shrinking the front fairing to the point where it drafts the shoulders, but lets the helmet stick out would be a good compromise on size and aerodynamics.

A tail that went as high as a race tail (above the butt) and a little lower than a traditional race tail.  The white foam thing has got to go too.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 05:31:56 PM »

Vetter's post on SR streamlining possibility: (Chopped down from "sill" about 6-8" and Kamm tail)
http://craigvetter.com/pages/2015-Streamliner-pages/2015-Streamlining-a-Zero%20SR-p84.html

Streamlining a Brammo: (likely closer to what you are looking for look near bottom)
http://craigvetter.com/pages/2014-streamliners/2014-Kowitz-streamlines-a-Brammo-p76.html

It would probably be easier to achieve a sporty look with fairings off another bike and simply make mounting brackets. People who go Vetter do so for range purposes and comfort. I have a full Vetter Fairing setup here, including the rear seat back, I plan on putting on the bike shortly. The front is fiber glassed together and I need to cut it down to make it look like the mockups of the SR above (this per request of other riders)

Later I might put the top section back on and lower seating but at least we will get a bench mark with the proposed design. As far as the seat back being even smaller ... it would likely have no effect at all and at minimal I need 45L of luggage space behind me to commute comfortably so IDK the final size of this yet till I get foam on the bike and start mocking stuff up ...

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:11:54 PM »

Burton, actually the tail of a streamliner is very important. The reason most streamliners have such long, gently tapered tails is because that's the only way to keep the flow laminar all the way to the back of the vehicle. It's a major pain in terms of making the bike longer, more difficult to maneuver and such, and some would say it's not very aesthetically pleasing too, but it does yield a lot of efficiency gains.

Mike Corbin has a very interesting approach on his new Swallow II (I think that's what he calls it). He's chopped the end of the vehicle off flat, making for a much more compact and conventional look, but he's added dimples maybe 3" in diameter on the back half, hoping to improve on tail-end aerodynamics the same way dimples do on a golf ball. I think it has a lot of potential -- even the Mythbusters tested it and found that it works, on a regular (not very efficient) car. I'm eager to see how it works out.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 12:25:34 AM »

Mike Corbin has a very interesting approach on his new Swallow II (I think that's what he calls it). He's chopped the end of the vehicle off flat, making for a much more compact and conventional look, but he's added dimples maybe 3" in diameter on the back half, hoping to improve on tail-end aerodynamics the same way dimples do on a golf ball. I think it has a lot of potential -- even the Mythbusters tested it and found that it works, on a regular (not very efficient) car. I'm eager to see how it works out.

How do you learn about this project? Basically, where can I sign up for the newsletter? :)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 12:57:30 AM »

How do you learn about this project? Basically, where can I sign up for the newsletter? :)

Lol...I don't know of any newsletter or much press. You can find some info by Googling, but not many details. I got a pretty good look at it and asked Mike a few questions when I was at the Vetter Challenge on July 4th of this year. Mike led out the ride for the first couple of miles.

It's a pretty cool ride, only a one-seater with fairly limited range, but could be very promising for commuters who don't ride bikes.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 01:19:39 AM »

Found a picture, I'm pretty sure this is the original Sparrow that went bankrupt around 1999. Apparently Mike was dimpling even back then.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 03:31:54 AM »

Vetter's post on SR streamlining possibility: (Chopped down from "sill" about 6-8" and Kamm tail)
http://craigvetter.com/pages/2015-Streamliner-pages/2015-Streamlining-a-Zero%20SR-p84.html

Streamlining a Brammo: (likely closer to what you are looking for look near bottom)
http://craigvetter.com/pages/2014-streamliners/2014-Kowitz-streamlines-a-Brammo-p76.html

It would probably be easier to achieve a sporty look with fairings off another bike and simply make mounting brackets. People who go Vetter do so for range purposes and comfort. I have a full Vetter Fairing setup here, including the rear seat back, I plan on putting on the bike shortly. The front is fiber glassed together and I need to cut it down to make it look like the mockups of the SR above (this per request of other riders)

Later I might put the top section back on and lower seating but at least we will get a bench mark with the proposed design. As far as the seat back being even smaller ... it would likely have no effect at all and at minimal I need 45L of luggage space behind me to commute comfortably so IDK the final size of this yet till I get foam on the bike and start mocking stuff up ...

I was thinking of Vetter Light.  Not as big as a Vetter tail, but more practical for out of tuck riding and better in a cross wind.

This tail is a OK size, but the tail is too rounded.  It needs a gentle taper and a sharp cut off of a Kamm Back, that Vetter uses on his shorter tails.

I attached a marked up profile of the Vetter and how I would design it to be Vetter Light.  I would not make the windshield as tall also. 

In Vetter's opinion, he does not want to do a watered down Vetter, but Vetter Light would be on more bikes and do a greater good overall.

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 04:52:19 AM »

He's chopped the end of the vehicle off flat, making for a much more compact and conventional look, but he's added dimples maybe 3" in diameter on the back half, hoping to improve on tail-end aerodynamics the same way dimples do on a golf ball. I think it has a lot of potential -- even the Mythbusters tested it and found that it works, on a regular (not very efficient) car. I'm eager to see how it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 05:19:00 AM »

Lol...I don't know of any newsletter or much press. You can find some info by Googling, but not many details. I got a pretty good look at it and asked Mike a few questions when I was at the Vetter Challenge on July 4th of this year. Mike led out the ride for the first couple of miles.

It's a pretty cool ride, only a one-seater with fairly limited range, but could be very promising for commuters who don't ride bikes.

Ah, it's one of those urban pod projects. The first EV I ever saw in person was very similar. Well, the technique seems plausible. Thanks!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 06:37:13 AM »

The Myers Motors NmG (formerly the Corbin Sparrow) has been around since 1999.  I thought that this 3 wheel configuration, which is technically a motorcycle, but I think low gas prices and low fuel taxes never economically encouraged efficient, alternative fuel vehicles.

Here is a dustbin that has a good sized wind screen that allows the use of the stock headlight and turn signals:

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »

Burton, actually the tail of a streamliner is very important.

I am actually very aware of the gains from a proper tail being on CV's email list serv ;) I simply didn't explain what I meant well in my response.

The tail on the proposed design, if smaller, would likely not have too great effect on the range since it is already too small ;) If anything the tail needs to be wider than the front to better reattach the air after the gap >__< But that will come in the future when I make my own version of the tail ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4