• October 02, 2024, 02:26:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: M.I.T. have released research into solid electrolytes  (Read 1163 times)

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
M.I.T. have released research into solid electrolytes
« on: August 21, 2015, 04:58:50 AM »

Now researchers at MIT and Samsung, and in California and Maryland, have developed a new approach to one of the three basic components of batteries, the electrolyte. The new findings are based on the idea that a solid electrolyte, rather than the liquid used in today’s most common rechargeables, could greatly improve both device lifetime and safety — while providing a significant boost in the amount of power stored in a given space.

https://news.mit.edu/2015/solid-state-rechargeable-batteries-safer-longer-lasting-0817

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: M.I.T. have released research into solid electrolytes
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 09:50:51 PM »

The solid-state electrolyte also allows for greater power density — the amount of power that can be stored in a given amount of space. Such batteries provide a 20 to 30 percent improvement in power density — with a corresponding increase in how long a battery of a given size could power a phone, a computer, or a car.

Disappointing coming from MIT News - they're talking about "energy density".

Looks very promising. Let's see when it leaves the lab and makes it to production.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

MotoRyder

• Riding innovative motorcycle machinery is a passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 03:06:23 AM »

A Very Interesting Find Indeed.  Thanks firepower for finding and posting !!

New research paves the way for rechargeable batteries with almost indefinite lifetimes.

It may be merely journalistic liberty (to embellish a little to gain readers' interest), but the part about rechargeable batteries with almost indefinite lifetimes seems too good to be true. 

The discovery of Solid-State electronic materials was revolutionary, so perhaps this development of energy storage (that can provide electrical current flow) in solid-state materials is truly a breakthrough.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:11:16 AM by MotoRyder »
Traveling by motorcycle, one can experience the true ambience of the surroundings

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 07:06:03 AM »

Now researchers at MIT and Samsung, and in California and Maryland, have developed a new approach to one of the three basic components of batteries, the electrolyte. The new findings are based on the idea that a solid electrolyte, rather than the liquid used in today’s most common rechargeables, could greatly improve both device lifetime and safety — while providing a significant boost in the amount of power stored in a given space.

https://news.mit.edu/2015/solid-state-rechargeable-batteries-safer-longer-lasting-0817

I read that one too, man that kind of life span is unreal also don't know if everybody has already seen this

I mean 1000 miles on a charge would be end game on gas bikes.  That much power you could piss away going 100+  MPH all day with no worries.  Well just cops.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 09:54:02 AM »

Cops and Charging.

Charging takes just as long per mile no matter how much bigger the battery. I experience 6 minutes per mile level 1 charging so about 100 hours to fill a 1,000 mile battery.

Then if we had effective faster charging - we'd not really need a 1,000 mile battery.

Don't get me wrong I'd enjoy having more battery, great chemistry is always something to herald. However I'd condemn a 1,000 mile battery being nearly full almost all the time.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »

Cops and Charging.

Charging takes just as long per mile no matter how much bigger the battery. I experience 6 minutes per mile level 1 charging so about 100 hours to fill a 1,000 mile battery.

Then if we had effective faster charging - we'd not really need a 1,000 mile battery.

Don't get me wrong I'd enjoy having more battery, great chemistry is always something to herald. However I'd condemn a 1,000 mile battery being nearly full almost all the time.

True, and that's what the people misunderstand that demand a thousand mile range before electric is "viable".

Even if extra range was nearly free - from weight and packaging and cost perspective - one to three hundred miles of range would be fine. Look at gas vehicles; outside of people strapping jerry cans to their bikes for adventure touring, few people demand larger gas tanks .. because "recharging" is fast and ubiquitous.

EVs don't even need that much in practice because of overnight charging .. we just need well-sited quick charging along frequently traveled routes. It doesn't need nearly as much power as the Tesla supercharger stations; Energica uses only 20-25 kW for its quick charge.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 08:55:56 AM »

I agree with you both. Right now fast charging and plenty of stations is by far the best way to go.  I'm just wondering how long it will be before some charging company swings for the fences and partners up with a gas station chain and puts chargers in all their stores.  It makes the most sense the infrastructure is already there locations everywhere along the interstates and towns.  If the power costs them $2 charge $7 hell better margin than gas.  Just an idea I've had for a while seemed like a good spot to give it.  Now back to the video info if they come up with a 10X power density for the same weight or close to it near same cost I'll take it.  Think of all it would open up.  Alaska, Africa, South America, deserts, deep forests way beyond just city commuting or weekend joy rides.  Hell that could get us off two wheels and into the air.  Imagine smooth reliable electric power for personal aircraft.  I might not live to see it but it's coming just like the real Tesla imagined, not much electricity can't do.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 03:02:27 PM »

NEW2elec,

Sheetz is at least testing the waters with DCFC at their gas stations. There are several stations in PA and NC that have DCFCs in them. Sheetz stations are generally large, clean, well lit stations with a large variety of food and drinks available. There are clearly worse places to spend a half hour or so charging your vehicle. Now if only I had a DCFC system for my Zero SR! But hopefully the beta version is available this winter sometime.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 08:59:35 PM »

I agree that installing charging stations at existing gas/convenience store locations really makes a lot of sense. But so far, I have not been welcomed by gas station employees whenever I visit their facilities on my Zero.  Most of these people are not well educated and seem to feel that they will loose their jobs if electric vehicle sales keep increasing.   ???  If the big oil companies were really smart and didn't have their heads stuck in the sand, they would think of some way of making a profit from servicing both IC and EV markets.  But then they wouldn't be "Big Oil" would they.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 02:16:09 PM »

I agree that installing charging stations at existing gas/convenience store locations really makes a lot of sense. But so far, I have not been welcomed by gas station employees whenever I visit their facilities on my Zero.  Most of these people are not well educated and seem to feel that they will loose their jobs if electric vehicle sales keep increasing.   ???  If the big oil companies were really smart and didn't have their heads stuck in the sand, they would think of some way of making a profit from servicing both IC and EV markets.  But then they wouldn't be "Big Oil" would they.   ::)

Dunno, Big Oil is diversifying or plain getting out of the game, look at the Rockafellers for instance.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 08:49:14 PM »

[/quote]

Dunno, Big Oil is diversifying or plain getting out of the game, look at the Rockafellers for instance.
[/quote]

I guess $45 a barrel for oil just isn't enough for a big oil company to stay in the business. What they need to do is create a cartel and cut off the flow of oil.  That would raise prices and profits - and also really increase the sales of electric motorcycles.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 11:44:06 AM »

If the US was really serious about moving away from oil for transportation we would pass a law that said that if you want to sell gasoline in this country you have to also have at least one EV recharge station per X gasoline pumps.  Each recharge station would have to be able to provide some minimum #kW.

But that will never happen because congress is in the pocket of big oil.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:56:37 AM by mrwilsn »
2014 Zero S
Pages: [1]