• October 01, 2024, 10:19:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can electric motorcycles survive cheap gas?  (Read 1820 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: Can electric motorcycles survive cheap gas?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 05:10:41 PM »

On the marketing front, perhaps a campaign to address range anxiety might work? Not much point until fast charging I'd sorted though. Analogies with charging phones at night are helpful.  It's very frustrating when your phone run out of charge and you're  about to go on your commute. That's why those external batteries are so popular. Something the size of a lipstick is enough to keep you going until you're at your desk or home and can plug back in. Fast charging is the equivalent.

I thought it was sad that Justin had to travel to the UK demo by train. With fast charging he could have ridden down on his zero.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 06:34:12 PM »

I really do not understand that Zero don't want support the riders with the Chademo option. That's one of the main wishes of their customers and they are really deaf for this. Bad attitude.

My sense is that they got burned pretty bad by the initial adopters who found they couldn't charge at every CHAdeMO station.  In some cases people had 1 station in mind along their regular route and if that didn't work then they bought and paid to install an expensive outlet that didn't meet their needs. 

Fortunately there are some 3rd party vendors looking to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 10:43:07 PM »

I thought it was sad that Justin had to travel to the UK demo by train. With fast charging he could have ridden down on his zero.

Were the demo a week or two later I would have done as well, as my fast charging rig was being built at the time.

I'd be interested in that as well.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:45:24 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 02:09:27 PM »

It's not the gas price that made me buying my DS, but the government rebates that encouraged me to buy one. In Holland, the price of petrol is for 70% determined by fixed taxes so cheaper oil will barely drop the prices
Wait what rebate? From the provincie?

No, The 'Kleinschaligheidsinvesteringsaftrek' (28%) and the 'Milieu Investerings Aftrek' (36%). That's for self employed people only and gives a lot of tax deduction. So the nett price of the bike is about 1/3 - 1/4 of the catalog price. And there is no road tax for the electric bikes.
Ah yes the sole reason why the Model S is the best selling EV in the Netherlands. With those prices you'd be stupid not to go electric.

I really do not understand that Zero don't want support the riders with the Chademo option. That's one of the main wishes of their customers and they are really deaf for this. Bad attitude.

My sense is that they got burned pretty bad by the initial adopters who found they couldn't charge at every CHAdeMO station.  In some cases people had 1 station in mind along their regular route and if that didn't work then they bought and paid to install an expensive outlet that didn't meet their needs. 

Such a shame the pulled the plug because people where too lazy to investigate if the one station on their route was compatible.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:17:11 PM by Erasmo »

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 01:27:14 PM »

It's not the gas price that made me buying my DS, but the government rebates that encouraged me to buy one. In Holland, the price of petrol is for 70% determined by fixed taxes so cheaper oil will barely drop the prices
Wait what rebate? From the provincie?

No, The 'Kleinschaligheidsinvesteringsaftrek' (28%) and the 'Milieu Investerings Aftrek' (36%). That's for self employed people only and gives a lot of tax deduction. So the nett price of the bike is about 1/3 - 1/4 of the catalog price. And there is no road tax for the electric bikes.
Ah yes the sole reason why the Model S is the best selling EV in the Netherlands. With those prices you'd be stupid not to go electric.

Such a shame the pulled the plug because people where too lazy to investigate if the one station on their route was compatible.
Erasmo, it is not necessarily that the customer was lazy.  Zero themselves do not have endless money to acquire and test against every CHAdeMO from every manufacturer.  You could say that Zero was lazy by letting customers do the testing for them.  Or you could say that manufacturers were lazy by not complying with the specification to the extent that Zero's implementation would be compatible.
Zero gasoline in the garage since May 2017

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 01:35:38 PM »

Well, I was thinking in terms of advancing the industry, which needs the general public to buy into the EV concept to keep production numbers high enough to expand the technology and keep companies like Zero in business.  If people don't buy electric vehicles because of cheap gas and manufacturers can only sell a thousand or so a year to enthusiasts, then that is not going to further the sport, advance the technology , save the planet - and quiet the neighborhood.

It doesn't help that governments seem to be loosing their enthusiasm for electric vehicles.  Instead of supporting them through continuing rebates and the like, some states in the West seem to be trying to think of ways to make electric vehicles pay more taxes by raising their vehicle-specific yearly licensing fees.  A proposal in California is to have all electric vehicles (no mention was made of exempting motorcycles) pay an additional $100 each year (over and above the usual fee which is based upon initial purchase price) on their registration fee to compensate the State for them not paying gas taxes at the pump.  I believe Oregon and Washington have similar plans in mind.

If these legislators would get their heads out of their asses long enough to think about it they would realize that electric motorcycles solve the one thing that they hate the most, loud noise.  Instead they create silence.   :)

I might add that virtually every IC motorcycle forum that I frequent has a large number of IC motorcycle owners who are inquiring about purchasing a loud exhaust system or after-market muffler to replace the quiet stock system. As near as I can tell, the louder the better.  Even many (apparently) mature BMW owners seem to want to save as many lives as they can by making a bunch of racket. Personally, what I like most about my Zero is that it is quiet.   :D 

And, with regard to legislators and the general public: quiet means "out of mind" and "out of mind" means fewer restrictive motorcycle laws.   ;)
Richard, WA is already charging EVs (motorcycles included) this extra $100 per year.  It doesn't stop me from riding my Brammo, though.

That said, Washington state says they'll earmark that money to fund EV infrastructure (charging stations).  Possibly also road repair.  Hopefully, this will be in the form of L2 (J1772) installations in cities and possibly also rest stops, both of which my Brammo could take advantage of.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Zero gasoline in the garage since May 2017

Lecram

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 02:22:48 PM »

Now they got burned pretty bad because of the lack of DC fast charging options. Just early adopters understand that there are some limitations when they communicate this clearly. In Holland, almost all Chademo chargers support 100VDC. Some tests with these chargers were successful and Zero stil doesn't provide this option here. I could live with a limited number of Chademo chargers. And we don't have an insane culture of take others to court if we don't like them.
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 04:55:20 PM »

Now they got burned pretty bad because of the lack of DC fast charging options. Just early adopters understand that there are some limitations when they communicate this clearly. In Holland, almost all Chademo chargers support 100VDC. Some tests with these chargers were successful and Zero stil doesn't provide this option here. I could live with a limited number of Chademo chargers. And we don't have an insane culture of take others to court if we don't like them.
50 actually. I haven't seen a ChaDeMo in the Netherlands yet that doesn't support the whole 50-500 range.

Erasmo, it is not necessarily that the customer was lazy.  Zero themselves do not have endless money to acquire and test against every CHAdeMO from every manufacturer.  You could say that Zero was lazy by letting customers do the testing for them.  Or you could say that manufacturers were lazy by not complying with the specification to the extent that Zero's implementation would be compatible.
If the charger is in the proper range(50-500V) you should be able to charge. A few small charging-manufacturers decided that 100V was the bottom range for them but that is easily found out, either with the spec sticker on the charger or by ringing the manufacturer.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 05:18:54 PM »

Electrics don't need to worry about the gas price it could go down to $10 a barrel and not make a difference. Your savings isn't in gas cost it is in maintenance cost.

Draw up a spreadsheet over five years for your favorite gas bike, and electric, then add maitnence cost of both for 13k mikes a year. Electric will likely pay for itself after that time.

Don't forget to account for time cost if you do the work yourself. Idk about you but my time is valuable.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 08:42:54 PM »

Richard, WA is already charging EVs (motorcycles included) this extra $100 per year.  It doesn't stop me from riding my Brammo, though.

That said, Washington state says they'll earmark that money to fund EV infrastructure (charging stations).  Possibly also road repair.  Hopefully, this will be in the form of L2 (J1772) installations in cities and possibly also rest stops, both of which my Brammo could take advantage of.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

My complaint is that electric motorcycles are being charged the same flat $100 per year as auto EVs, even though electric motorcycles very likely travel only a fraction of the miles that an EV auto driver will and cause much less wear and tear on the roadway system - which granted isn't all that much to begin with.  It just doesn't seem fair to me, especially as electric motorcycles make up such a small number of the vehicles in the state. I think they should have been exempted from the EV yearly registration charge until the numbers of electric motorcycles at least reach more than a few hundred, or so.  ??? 

Not only will the state not get enough funds to paint a mile of center-line from the EV motorcycle registration fee, but you would think the legislators would appreciate having a class of motorcycles that are quiet and don't shake the neighborhood while saving lives as they pass by.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 10:52:54 PM »

I met with two Energica Ego riders at a Fastned DC charger. It is quite amazing to witness how fast these things charge.  It felt like we had only a short conversation when they got back on the bikes and left.
I was so surprised to see that they were at 90% charge already! They arrived with 30 something percent.

The were doing a tour of 900 kilometres in a single day...

Fast charging rocks!

Proof:
Once you go EV, gas is history!
Pages: 1 [2]