• June 26, 2024, 06:25:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Victory Empulse  (Read 4716 times)

domingo3

• View Profile
Re: Victory Empulse
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 02:16:52 AM »

I  glad this was released.  Since Victory's acquisition of Brammo, I had been using it as one excuse (of many) to postpone buying a Zero.  I was hoping that since Polaris had been working with Brammo for a few years, they'd have some backroom design that they'd be ready to throw out with little public notice.  Instead, not much has changed, and I especially note that I do not fit their profile:

He told us Victory is looking for Tony Stark-type figures as rider candidates, Iron Man types representing a tech-savvy, status-driven, thrill-seeker who enjoys collecting interesting toys.

2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Ron Sindric

• Olde Faerte
  • VOLTRON Rider of Zelda born of ZERO M/C
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 08:51:06 PM »

A thought about the VICTORY e-Bike.  Their EMPULSE TT was rumored about at the last PROGRESSIVE SHOW WINTER 2014 and now here it is !  This is their first attempt.  I'll give them a few years to come out with something that is all electric, innovative and looks more like a TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE.  But, I might settle for an Agility Global SAIETTA R http://saiettagroup.com/ or even a Brutus V2 Rocket or Brutus 2 http://www.brutusmotorcycle.com/ .  Electric is here to stay.  Time to get some e-choices as well as companies that sell aftermarket e-bike accessories !!!
VoltRON ;-}

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 04:35:38 AM »

Still, it is not going to be easy to sell electric vehicles.  I just heard on the news that gas prices are predicted to fall in the near future to near record low levels. Soon they will be giving the stuff away.   ::)  Meanwhile my electric rates keep going up......   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Ranga

• 2015 Zero FX 5.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 08:19:34 AM »

Still, it is not going to be easy to sell electric vehicles.  I just heard on the news that gas prices are predicted to fall in the near future to near record low levels. Soon they will be giving the stuff away.   ::)  Meanwhile my electric rates keep going up......   :o

That is assuming you bought the vehicle to save money. Electric cars and motorcycles are still at the price point where breaking even in the vehicle's lifetime is unrealistic. Most customers realize this, and I pity those that don't.  Hybrids will suffer, because they are bought to save money on gas.  And although the performance has become exceptional, most electrics still lag behind gas vehicles of the same price.

No, our purchase was one purpose only, the same reason why BMW and Hummer owners justify theirs; personal expression.
2015 Zero FX

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »

Electric cars and motorcycles are still at the price point where breaking even in the vehicle's lifetime is unrealistic.

I wouldn't go QUITE so far as that. I actually ran a spreadsheet before I bought my 2014 SR, and I calculated that the bike would pay for itself in four years of not commuting in my car. Granted, that's a car vs. motorcycle comparison, and my commute is pretty much ideal in favor of the bike -- 50 miles round-trip daily.

I'd bet if you ran the same sort of comparison between, say, a Tesla and a BMW, you'd come to a fairly similar finding. My conclusion is that EVs can just barely make financial sense in some favorable circumstances, and they're not TOO far off from making sense in more mainstream uses.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 08:04:17 PM »

And I say that EVs will only make sense to the U.S. mainstream vehicle customer when gas prices go above $5 a gallon - which doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 08:22:04 PM »

And I say that EVs will only make sense to the U.S. mainstream vehicle customer when gas prices go above $5 a gallon - which doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon.
Oil countries won't let that happen, however once EV sticker prices match gas cars, and the range+charging let's people do occasional road trips, I think we'll see a shift regardless of gas prices.  Only time will tell.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Ranga

• 2015 Zero FX 5.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 09:10:36 PM »

Oil countries won't let that happen

OPEC spent decades deliberately price fixing the oil supply.  $6.00 a gallon is commonplace in Europe, where the tax code is enough to actually cover the cost of their infrastructure.  http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/26/federal-gas-tax-read-this/

The recent drop in price is due to cheap American oil from hydro fracking, and is only because OPEC allowed/failed to price fix again.
2015 Zero FX

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 09:51:56 PM »

I don't put gas in my car much any more (thanks Zero!), but the last three times I filled up I paid over $4.00, then something like $2.40, then recently well over $4.00 again. Maybe my experience is skewed by sheer infrequency, but if I had to pick a phrase to describe gasoline prices, I'd pick "extremely volatile".

Meanwhile, here in San Diego, my "Tier 1" electrical rate, with all charges, credits, etc. is 17.4c per kWh. That's gone up a little in the past few years, but not all that much. Interestingly, gasoline contains 33kWh per gallon of energy, so the equivalent rate is about $5.74 per "gallon equivalent" of electricity, assuming I don't go over my baseline (which I don't, except when it gets really hot and I run the AC). Gasoline is actually cheaper per kWh, at least here in my area.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

oregonrider89

• Motorcycles: 2017 FX, 2015 SR, 1995 BMW GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 10:13:58 PM »

For Victory, from a business perspective, this "quiet" market entry makes sense: use up existing inventory, assess interest among dealers, minimal R&D costs. Why not? They will make improvements in the coming years but this is a logical start.

I think this is great news for Brammo owners everywhere and a positive sign that support will continue.

Personally I think Victory detracted from the aesthetics with the 90's color scheme but that is my opinion and I would not buy this motorcycle anyway due to the trans/clutch and chain. I do, however, love the charging options (Zero take notes).

As far as the discussion about economic sense of electrics: I think the break even is much lower than what I have seen reported by others. Real world break even for me with a 2015 SR versus my BMW R1100GS is about three years at 10,000 miles per year, call it 30,000 miles. Granted the BMW is an old motorcycle but I do all my own service work (thereby saving thousands and thousands of dollars) and it is what I have to compare against.

To anybody thinking of getting an electric: take the plunge, you will be glad you did.

Chocula

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 10:43:26 PM »

Do the math on a Chevy Spark EV or vs a comparably equipped gas version.  Unfortunately it is not available everywhere yet but after incentives, the purchase price is well within what the average (12,000 miles per year) driver will spend on gas.  Factor in maintenance costs and it looks even better for the EV.

There have been recent lease deals on the Fiat 500E for $89 / month with $0 down after incentives.  The gas savings alone make the payment on that.

Unfortunately, many of the cars are not yet widely available and the incentives are needed to make them financial advantageous.  Fortunately, they are becoming more widely availing, pricing is coming down, and we do have incentives available.  Depending on where you live, EV's can have a lower TCO now.

As for motorcycles, if TCO were the primary motivator, we would all drive used Ninja 250's or scooters.

Chocula

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 11:28:33 PM »

Here it does make sense to buy electric, price is 0.08 CAD$ per kWh.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 04:06:48 AM »

THE FASTEST CHARGING BATTERY ON THE MARKET
Nope. The Energica is faster.

As for motorcycles, if TCO were the primary motivator, we would all drive used Ninja 250's or scooters.
Those are exactly the kind of bikes that you mainly see in large European cities.

RickXB

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 09:04:19 AM »

Here it does make sense to buy electric, price is 0.08 CAD$ per kWh.
,0568 CAD$ for the first 30kwh/day (15-20 kw average during summer) & 1,40$/Liter for 91 Octane gas. Really make sense actually!

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 09:23:24 AM »

Keep in mind that your ICE engine is only about 30% efficient.
Then, you lose through the transmission, the driveline, the axle, etc.
Plus routine maintenance. The electric motor is probably 3 times
as efficient, plus much loss through the direct drive of the belt.
Hardly a wash.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4