• September 30, 2024, 05:32:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2015 AMA Panel: The State of Electric Motorcycles (Video)  (Read 1381 times)

Burton

• View Profile
2015 AMA Panel: The State of Electric Motorcycles (Video)
« on: July 18, 2015, 06:22:56 AM »

For those who didn't get to come to the AMA Vintage Days last weekend.
It is nearly an hour long with shots of some of the contender in the vetter challenge at the end.

It is in 1080p for those interested.

All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: 2015 AMA Panel: The State of Electric Motorcycles (Video)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 11:57:32 AM »

I distinctly heard one idea dropped that I did not expect to be stated so clearly: that Zero is considering a battery lease program. That is one way to bring prices down out the door.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 06:00:43 PM »

Ugh ... so if your total attachment size is too large you loose your entire post >__<

Attachments will have to be added in two posts I guess.

Attaching first then addressing your point :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:08:26 PM by Burton »

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »

I distinctly heard one idea dropped that I did not expect to be stated so clearly: that Zero is considering a battery lease program. That is one way to bring prices down out the door.

OK second attachment in question added, now to respond ... again :/

You are likely one of 2 who have watched this thing in it's entirety.

7 people have watched from EMF, 9 from FB, and a couple from my subs (which is odd given the diverse topics I cover on my channel)

My subs watched about 10 minutes while non subs 4 minutes o_0 and they were ALL male, not a single female.

Italy was the only country who rated the video and gave it 5 stars and they are second in total minutes watched.

I am not a youtube guru and I don't really care about views, subs, etc as I am not trying to make money off it. I only post stuff to help inspire others to take on tasks they think are beyond them and highlight my struggles and successes along the way.

It is worth noting the lulls in the "relative audience retention" during the playing of the video. It appears no one liked the playing of the long zero advertisement video during the presentation. I would even venture to guess most people who attended in person had already seen this when it came out years ago.

That stated there were other lulls as well I can't explain as well.

For those who were turned off or didn't watch this thing in its entirety what were your reasons? I would love to know what I can do better in the future.
I already know now to get the camera on a stable surface asap instead of hand holding the gimbal like I did for the first 15 minutes or so. You will note, if you have watched it, with the second vetter talk I quickly got the camera on the table when I thought of my first experience trying to hold it previously.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:23:15 PM »

Added Kraig's slideshow to the description on the video. Found here: http://www.schultzengineering.us/state-2015.pdf

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »

What is the timestamp for the comments on the potential battery lease program? 

Smart electric cars already do this.  If you lease a Smart ED (Electric Drive) you actually have 2 leases, one for the "glider" and one for the battery.  Or if you buy the car you can lease the battery, which significantly reduces the price of the vehicle.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:39:35 PM »

What is the timestamp for the comments on the potential battery lease program? 

Near the end during Q&A. The last ten minutes or so.

I made it through the video by putting it on my TV where I didn't have to stare at it, TBH. The audio was a bit difficult to follow, with racing bikes outside often distracting from the discussion.

I didn't feel like the Zero advertisement served anyone that well; a clear articulation of market position was made in many other ways. Zero's current competitors merely need their prices and niches listed to understand why they can't be rhetorically equivalent. I think there were (justified!) remarks about Lightning vehicles being handcrafted following effusive praise for their performance.

Of course, it's also obvious that some of the audience wanted to hear a certain story, about Harley or others, and no video or explanation would satisfy them. That is a pretty serious marketing challenge.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:22:41 PM »

Starting in 2008, there was a company from Israel called Better Place with a similar idea. They would GIVE you the car, and, LEASE you the battery.
They built and operated battery swap stations and everything. Probably ahead of their time with what costs were then. They went bankrupt in 2013.
Tesla has shown a battery swap technology that takes about half the time that it does to fill an ICE car with gas. They use your battery, and, the projected
cost would be equivalent to a tank of premium fuel for an ICE car. I think that they are testing in a few places, but, probably not a widespread option.
As I understand it, you leave your battery, take one of theirs, then, pick yours back up on the way home from your trip. If you don't pick up your battery,
they ship it back to you, and, charge you for the battery that you "borrowed".
A problem to be overcome here would be that we would need standardized battery packs so that a swap station would only need a few sizes and shapes
on hand to cover a majority of vehicles. when / if that happened, electric vehicles would have all the range and ease of an ICE vehicle.
Unfortunately, I won't be holding my breath.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 09:54:23 PM »

Honestly I think we're making a mountain out of a molehill where battery life is concerned. Zero's battery packs are rated for 2500 cycles now, which at the rate of 5 cycles per week, 50 weeks per year, gives a honest 10-year life. Also, given a conservative 50-mile range per cycle, that's 125,000 total miles....and the battery pack is far from dead at that point anyhow, it's guaranteed to still be at 80% of its factory-fresh capacity. That seems a pretty reasonable lifetime for a major component of any vehicle, comparable to what you'd expect for a guarantee on an ICE, a transmission, things of that nature.

There was certainly a time when battery life was a big concern for EVs, but I think we've crossed a major threshold in that regard, and I think the challenge now is just making people aware that the situation has changed considerably.

I think range and price are the only major issues EVs still have to contend with....and Tesla is showing that the range solution is nearly in hand as well.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:32:13 PM »

There was certainly a time when battery life was a big concern for EVs, but I think we've crossed a major threshold in that regard, and I think the challenge now is just making people aware that the situation has changed considerably.

I think the thinking is a step past that, though, where they've realized that they can't wait to explain or prove this to potential customers and have to get them past sticker shock first.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 02:54:54 AM »

I don't think that the battery LIFE is the issue any more. I believe it has more to do with the down time.
I have ridden motorcycles for a long time. As with most car drivers, my "daily" use is a fairly few number of miles,
and my Fx takes daily use easily in stride. I take my FX all over the place on a regular basis, and, usually find an
outlet near where I stop. I do like to get out on the weekend and go for longer pleasure rides, or, a few times a year for LONGer rides.
I have an FX because I enjoy the lightness and nimble handling. It has swapable batteries, but, 50~80 miles, and,
I would have to have a set near where I thought I would be. Not real convenient, or, cost effective. I could build a
purpose bike like Terry, but, like his, it would weigh half a ton, not my idea of pleasure.
So, until we have 1000 mile battery packs that charge while we finish our Mickey D's, there will still be whiners.
As of now, an ICE bike for longer trips is cheaper than a pair of spare FX batteries.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 06:32:54 PM »

Well Zero missed a good opportunity to make some sales, making a public enthusiastic for an hour and not bringing a demo.

You are likely one of 2 who have watched this thing in it's entirety.

7 people have watched from EMF, 9 from FB, and a couple from my subs (which is odd given the diverse topics I cover on my channel)

My subs watched about 10 minutes while non subs 4 minutes o_0 and they were ALL male, not a single female.

Italy was the only country who rated the video and gave it 5 stars and they are second in total minutes watched.

I am not a youtube guru and I don't really care about views, subs, etc as I am not trying to make money off it. I only post stuff to help inspire others to take on tasks they think are beyond them and highlight my struggles and successes along the way.

It is worth noting the lulls in the "relative audience retention" during the playing of the video. It appears no one liked the playing of the long zero advertisement video during the presentation. I would even venture to guess most people who attended in person had already seen this when it came out years ago.

That stated there were other lulls as well I can't explain as well.

For those who were turned off or didn't watch this thing in its entirety what were your reasons? I would love to know what I can do better in the future.
I already know now to get the camera on a stable surface asap instead of hand holding the gimbal like I did for the first 15 minutes or so. You will note, if you have watched it, with the second vetter talk I quickly got the camera on the table when I thought of my first experience trying to hold it previously.
First I want to say that is good that you made a complete registration. Their might not be a lot of interest for the whole thing but you've made probably the go to video for people who where there and wanted to recheck or show something to somebody who wasn't there.

I watched it but I had to do it in pieces. Actually the first time I clicked on the link I clicked away rather soon, 1 hour of panel video is too long for the average attention span, even if your interested in the matter. That's not your fault, it's just the nature of these kind of panel videos. I'm guessing you don't can expect it to go viral but receive a steady trickle of views for the foreseeable future.

My tip problem is to put the camera closer next time, I'm interested in the panel members and the screen if clearly visible, not the backs of the audience. I also significantly improves the audio of the panel members.
If you aren't able to get closer you might want to insert the current slide on the video, more or less like this:

You might also cut the part with the video and provide the link in an annotation instead.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »

I think I will be able to boost vocal noise while mitigating the track noise some. But I likely wont have anything "out" till this weekend.

Since I will have to use software outside of the gopro studio to do this I can add the slides inline with the presentation.

I can then go through and cut it up into 15 - 20 minute chunks and put in a play list for people to consume better.

I really didn't have a reason behind doing this other than sharing ;) But I will make changes so more people can enjoy this talk.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 09:01:40 PM »

The leasing comment occurs at 55 minutes and Scot says it will happen in the next year or so.  However, that is all he says.

Very interesting.

I'm not concerned with the life of the battery, I just want to be able to take advantage of newer technologies for lower cost.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 09:13:59 PM »

I think I will be able to boost vocal noise while mitigating the track noise some. But I likely wont have anything "out" till this weekend.

Since I will have to use software outside of the gopro studio to do this I can add the slides inline with the presentation.

I can then go through and cut it up into 15 - 20 minute chunks and put in a play list for people to consume better.

I really didn't have a reason behind doing this other than sharing ;) But I will make changes so more people can enjoy this talk.
I can add the slides if you dont't want the hassle,  need to practice with Sony Vegas anyway.
Pages: [1] 2