• September 29, 2024, 03:37:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Seattle-area rider, considering a homebuilt  (Read 423 times)

thepauly

• View Profile
Seattle-area rider, considering a homebuilt
« on: June 06, 2015, 12:02:22 AM »

Hi everyone. I'm a dirt and dualsport rider, I have a '71 Yamaha CS3B with a blown engine that I'm thinking of converting to electric. Right now I'm at the point of initial research and feasibility study. In order to meet my needs, I would need to get 60+ mph and a 60 mile range for the project to make sense. I know OEM electric motorcycles are capable of this, but it seems like homebuilt bikes don't commonly meet the same benchmarks. I'm curious about how much it would cost to attain those kind of numbers.

As with anything, I'm sure this project falls within the good-fast-cheap triangle. I have good fab skills and modest electronics skills. 

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Seattle-area rider, considering a homebuilt
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 10:48:43 PM »

Right now the cheap way to go is a battery pack built from Nissan LEAF modules, or sometimes modules from other EVs.

http://hybridautocenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=category&task=listing&cid=14&name=lithium-batteries-and-packs&Itemid=605

You need to first pin down what speed you need your 60 mile range at. 60 miles @ 30 mph can probably be done with 3-4 kWh, 60 miles @ 60 mph will need 7-8 kWh. This is one example configuration - 6.4 kWh w/ BMS, small charger, $2850 + shipping.

Your motor of choice will also dictate the battery voltage, and should be paired with a suitably powerful battery. The 6.4 kWh Nissan LEAF battery listed above will top out at around 23 kW (31 hp).
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile
Re: Seattle-area rider, considering a homebuilt
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 11:21:11 PM »

Hello thepauly, I'm also a Seattle-area rider and have an electric scooter I don't need anymore.  Would you be interested in taking it off my hands?
Zero gasoline in the garage since May 2017
Pages: [1]