• September 30, 2024, 05:29:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: French video of a drag race between a Zero and a Tesla  (Read 2009 times)

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
French video of a drag race between a Zero and a Tesla
« on: June 03, 2015, 02:38:48 PM »

here is a short video of a drag race between a Zero and a Tesla. It's a teaser, since they mention more will be on their site shortly.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CAhkoI6LbKM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/embed/CAhkoI6LbKM

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: French video of a drag race between a Zero and a Tesla
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 08:58:36 PM »

Well, sure, the P85D is going to crush the SR, it crushes EVERYTHING up to a Mclaren F1. Let's get one of the "baser" models against the SR and watch a fair fight.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 09:01:28 PM »

Well, sure, the P85D is going to crush the SR, it crushes EVERYTHING up to a Mclaren F1. Let's get one of the "baser" models against the SR and watch a fair fight.

But at one stage it does overtake the Tesla. I guess a few seconds later the Zero gets smoked...

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 09:02:13 PM »

The SR without power tank should be close up to 60mph st least.  I think the specs are 3.3sec for the SR and 3.2 for the P85D before the software update.  With the software update the P85d is something like 2.9 sec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:11:27 AM »

But at one stage it does overtake the Tesla. I guess a few seconds later the Zero gets smoked...
That's when the Tesla hits the brakes.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 12:51:44 AM »

That's when the Tesla hits the brakes.

I think Mike was pointing out that the Zero does get its nose in front off the line, before the Tesla runs by. It looks to me like neither pilot is an expert and the Zero just got off the line a little sooner.

@Benswing: Yeah, the numbers are comparable, but I've wondered a few times if Zero got a 120-pound professional drag racer to test the 0-60 time. An EV is insanely easy to launch, but still, expertise is always helpful, and extreme light weight is the drag racer's best friend.

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 01:44:31 AM »

I don't know about the car driver, but the guy is a professional bike tester, working for several mags and TV. The company he works for also does car reviews. So I'd guess we're seeing pro doing an amateur thing, but as I said, this is a teaser....

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 01:47:49 PM »

There are a few things wrong with some of the comments here. The P85D is the Top offering from Tesla, so, running against
the top offering from Zero should be appropriate. If you are going to challenge someone, you will be bragging if you win,
you shouldn't whine if you lose. At easily six times the price, I wouldn't feel too bad getting beat. As far as the launch, the guy on
the bike appears to be doing the counting and, leaves AS he is calling out the last number, well before the Tesla driver. At an actual
track, this would be a Red Light, and, an automatic loss. The second view makes this very apparent. The first view, shows the
Tesla applying brakes well before being passed by the Zero. Most of the race videos you see where the Tesla spanks everyone are street races
and, only go on for a few seconds. The only actual quarter mile times I have seen for the Tesla are in the high 11 second range.
A Tesla P85D set quarter mile record for NEDRA in January at 11.63 @ 114 mph. The only Zero listed in the NEDRA records is
our own Jeremiah Johnson with an 1/8 mile time of 8.14 @ 85.6. This was last year on what I believe was a pre 6 controller S.
He can correct me if I am wrong. Right above him is a Tesla from 2010, so, I am guessing it is a roadster. THAT would be a fair race.
   As far as pilot ability, the Zero, while being much easier to launch consistently than an ICE bike, still requires far more finesse than the
P85D. I have launched a P85D in Insane mode, and, it acts just like it is leaving a stop light normally. This isn't apples and oranges, it is grapes and watermelons.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 12:29:36 AM »

Interestingly at the local sprint a Roadster and a 2013 S ZF6 posted the exact same quarter mile time. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was.

I knew the roadster was slower than the P85D but I didn't realise it was that much slower.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 11:26:03 AM »

I recall the 2014 SR was in the mid 12s in the quarter mile. Haven't seen a quarter mile test for the SR, should be similar.

I also suspect Zero's 0-60 numbers are optimistic.. perhaps achievable with a very light rider. Rider weight doesn't matter nearly as much when your vehicle weighs nearly 5000 pounds by itself.

SR and the P85D are nearly opposites as far as performance characteristics. P85D accelerates hardest from 0-30mph; and Zero seems to wake up at that time.

Looking forward to other videos in this sequence.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 08:28:01 PM »

In the September 2014 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News there is a complete, instrumented, 4-page road test of the 2014 Zero SR SF14.2.  Measured top speed was 99 mph, the quarter mile was covered in 12.82 seconds at 98.94 mph, 0-60 mph took 4.58 seconds and the motor put out 109 lb-ft of torque and made 73.8 HP.  Power dropped off at 5,600 rpm and died at 6K rpm.  Wet weight was measured at 447.5 pounds.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 08:56:49 PM »

In the September 2014 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News there is a complete, instrumented, 4-page road test of the 2014 Zero SR SF14.2.  Measured top speed was 99 mph, the quarter mile was covered in 12.82 seconds at 98.94 mph, 0-60 mph took 4.58 seconds and the motor put out 109 lb-ft of torque and made 73.8 HP.  Power dropped off at 5,600 rpm and died at 6K rpm.  Wet weight was measured at 447.5 pounds.

"Wet weight"...how funny!

Honestly I don't think I recall ever seeing a 1/4 mile time where the vehicle was completely tapped out by the end of the 1/4. Most consumer vehicles don't have nearly enough torque to get up to speed that fast, and most high-performance vehicles have more top speed than can fit on the 1/4. Very interesting stuff.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 09:34:53 PM »

"Wet weight"...how funny!

Honestly I don't think I recall ever seeing a 1/4 mile time where the vehicle was completely tapped out by the end of the 1/4. Most consumer vehicles don't have nearly enough torque to get up to speed that fast, and most high-performance vehicles have more top speed than can fit on the 1/4. Very interesting stuff.

MCN's Zero SR was equipped with the power tank. I would expect dropping 45 pounds to shave a few tenths off.

The SR might have a higher ET or trap speed through the quarter mile with the high speed kit (25 tooth front / 98 tooth rear).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 07:12:04 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 02:23:07 AM »

I would lov eto see a SR with very lightweight nanotech A-spec LiPo battery of the same required power.. let say 10-15 pounds total of battery. This would make it pretty much faster for the 0-60. the actual battery is close to 170 pounds if i remember correctly... so this would remove 150-160 pounds!

Now the 75-7 larger size motor exist in two winding version. One with more torque ( i think it is 7 turn per tooth on the stator and one that is 4 turn. I actually have the 7 turn on my 2012 S and stock controller and i get 0-60 in about 5.8 sec. but top speed is like 76mph max.

If the stock motor on the SR is the 4 turn ( faster and less torque) i easily imagine that a SR with 160 pounds less and the 7 turn motor wold make a 0-60 in less than 2.5 sec, beating the P85D 8)

Ben, I think the spftware update on the P85D give 0-60 in 3.1 sec and not 2.9. unless there is some new update i am not aware of ???

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 05:20:21 AM »

I hate to be the debbie downer but 2.5 is insanely fast

I mean I've launched my bike many times and I have half the weight and more than half the power, it's extemly hard to get under a 4 sec 0-60 time, yo ass is working hard to keep the front end down....

What are these a spec lipo batteries? I could use a battery with compasity of the sr in a real size platform
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's
Pages: [1] 2