• September 27, 2024, 07:28:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mission Motorcycles has closed  (Read 2401 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Mission Motorcycles has closed
« on: March 11, 2015, 04:38:34 AM »

Mission Motorcycles in Daly City, CA (just outside San Francisco) has gone out of business.  The store has been sold to The Dollar Tree Corporation. The Zero franchise has been transferred to SF Moto in the "South of Market" area of San Francisco.  I believe that Mission Motorcycles was Zero's the second largest dealer, after Hollywood Electric.  Hopefully, SF Moto (a major motor scooter shop in the city) will be as successful.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Mission Motorcycles has closed
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 04:42:33 AM »

There was one lonely used Zero still sitting in the showroom when I was there today (their service department was still open and I slipped in that way).  At least it was nice to see it still plugged in to a wall outlet. All of the Japanese-brand inventory is waiting to be moved to SF Moto once they get the approval from the various franchises.  Motorcycle sales is a tough business.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Blotman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 10:52:34 PM »

I believe BMW of San Jose also started to deal with Zero quite recently, although they're doing a pretty good job of not actually telling anyone. NorCal Mastercraft was the only other option in the Bay Area, and I was sorry to see them stop selling and servicing Zeros.
'13 Zero S ZF12.5, '15 Zero SR ZF12.5

francesco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 12:03:45 AM »

I believe BMW of San Jose also started to deal with Zero quite recently, although they're doing a pretty good job of not actually telling anyone.

Do they actually service Zeros? Does anybody have first-hand experience with them?
I saw the announcement on the Zero Facebook page, but there is no mention of it on the BMW San Jose website or in their Facebook page. Zeros don't seem to be listed in their online inventory either.

tanya

• Zero DS - Main Daily Commute Bike ~ 100 miles / Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 01:00:35 AM »

That remaining Zero plugged in at Mission is actually Wendy's that she took in on trade so did not move over to SF Motors with the other kits.  I currently am having my Zero DS front fork seals replaced as they started leaking and my LED addon driving lamps rewired to use the switches that were used for the Police radio and lights as I bought the Police Demo bike during the Police course competition riding at AT&T park so had all of the Police functions and lights removed.  I would be keen to see if the BMW shop in San Jose does indeed do Zero maintenance?  I ride into SF from the East Bay, about 80 miles for me so my remaining charge is near 0% when I get into the city.  I've considered about opening a Zero shop myself in the East Bay if there is sufficient interest for it.  I work in UK and Europe nearly 1/2 of the year where I find no Zero dealerships or maintenance anywhere in UK yet.  The cold, wet weather may be a challenge for the Zero.  I know my bike has had some issues with moisture so running it in California is ideal.  Running it in UK where it seldom is dry may not be so ideal.  From September to December this winter I rode in some rain, some of it substantial rain seemed like nearly every day.

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 01:29:28 AM »

Hey Avril you drive a Zero ? Don't have any time to sing now don't you.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 01:56:35 AM »

... maintenance anywhere in UK yet ...

Streetbike in Halesowen is the UK service center.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 03:31:12 AM »

SF Moto didn't waste any time getting Zero on to their web site.  That is a positive development.

I have heard that San Jose Motorsports was something of a reluctant Zero suitor and it wasn't all that easy getting them on the Zero bandwagon. I don't have a clue what that means for service.  ???  But you would think that sales would be pretty brisk considering their location near Silicon Valley and all of the high-tech money within that area.   :)  Nothing like having a Zero to accompany the Tesla in your garage.   ;)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 03:41:02 AM »

This morning I took a ride to SFMoto located at the north corner of 8th and Folsom Streets.  If you go there, try parking in the alley first.  They have a few metered motorcycle parking spaces on 8th Street, but the big crowd is in the adjacent alley, Clementina Street.  Free parking so far, if you can find a spot. I got the last one.

The Zeros are displayed next to the front door.  The shop seems kind of small at first, but they are renovating a large showroom on the second floor, which should be open soon.

I ordered a spare drive belt for the 2014 Zero S.  The price has gone up about $20 compared with last year when I bought a belt for my 2012 S, but the $88 price of the belt is still a lot less than you would pay for any other brand's belt drive and less than the cost of a name-brand O-ring chain.

Several of the Mission Motorcycles staff have relocated to SFMoto, including Nancy, the saleslady that sold me my Zero, along with Mission's experienced Zero service tech and at least one of their parts employees.

Photo of the ally parking attached.

jheth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 05:34:41 AM »

That remaining Zero plugged in at Mission is actually Wendy's that she took in on trade so did not move over to SF Motors with the other kits.  I currently am having my Zero DS front fork seals replaced as they started leaking and my LED addon driving lamps rewired to use the switches that were used for the Police radio and lights as I bought the Police Demo bike during the Police course competition riding at AT&T park so had all of the Police functions and lights removed.  I would be keen to see if the BMW shop in San Jose does indeed do Zero maintenance?  I ride into SF from the East Bay, about 80 miles for me so my remaining charge is near 0% when I get into the city.  I've considered about opening a Zero shop myself in the East Bay if there is sufficient interest for it.  I work in UK and Europe nearly 1/2 of the year where I find no Zero dealerships or maintenance anywhere in UK yet.  The cold, wet weather may be a challenge for the Zero.  I know my bike has had some issues with moisture so running it in California is ideal.  Running it in UK where it seldom is dry may not be so ideal.  From September to December this winter I rode in some rain, some of it substantial rain seemed like nearly every day.

There's a Zero dealer in Concord now, check the website.
I also heard that San Jose BMW was being courted by Zero, but they were reluctant to join the future of motorcycling. I was disappointed by that news, but I see on Zero's website that they are now an official dealer! Woo hoo! I live in San Jose, so the ride up to SF was a little far. I need to stop by San Jose BMW and shake the owner's hand. And see if they will replace my inaccurate motor temp sensor (reading too high, sounds like a common issue).

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 03:51:00 AM »

I picked up a spare drive belt for my 2014 Zero S today ($88 and two weeks to arrive) at Zero's new San Francisco dealer.  Attached is a photo of the front of the 3-story shop, located on 8th Street, near Folsom Street, in the "South of Market" area.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 04:50:16 AM »

Good thing you didn't snap yours and actually need one. I mean come on 2 weeks for a belt to get there.  It's a 2 hour drive, what is their reasoning behind making people wait so long.
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 06:34:15 AM »

Good thing you didn't snap yours and actually need one. I mean come on 2 weeks for a belt to get there.  It's a 2 hour drive, what is their reasoning behind making people wait so long.

I have no idea, but BMW parts that I have ordered over the counter from my long-time dealer also seem to take at least a week and sometimes two weeks to arrive.  And BMW has several parts warehouses scattered around the country and supposedly has a computerized ordering system (that Zero may not have).  It is apparent to me that parts are taking longer to arrive when you order them than they used to.  Most dealers no longer stock parts in their backroom and now you have to pay up front when ordering and wait a couple of weeks to receive them.  It seems to me that this all started around the time of the "Great Recession" when all motorcycle companies were trying everything they could to cut costs.   ???

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 04:02:28 PM »

Just in Time ordering?
Zero is probably using this, it cuts costs as they don't have to keep a warehouse of stock at the factory, however when they receive your order, they'll have to send the order onto their supplier.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 08:18:10 PM »

Just in Time ordering?
Zero is probably using this, it cuts costs as they don't have to keep a warehouse of stock at the factory, however when they receive your order, they'll have to send the order onto their supplier.

No offense but that's the dumbest thing I've read on here

A belt is something that can regularly snap/ break, be mishandled and not work properly; the belt handling guidelines are insane, no hanging, no resting on its side, no "stretching".   Basically don't ever put it down and straight on the bike....

They build almost 200 bikes a month.  They should have 400 belts in stock at all times!!!! It's a 20$ part for them probably less, everytime needs one eventually and if I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere you think I'm going to wait 2 weeks to get a belt.... Sorry but I hope everyone can tell that runs me the wrong way!!!

The belt should be in San fran the next day 3 days by the latest

When I order the main buss fuse on a Lexus. A part no dealer local stocks, I was still able to have it the next day, yes they are a big compny, zero is way past the point of being "small"

200 bikes a month at 11-18k per.....    I would expect parts to be available   It's not like this is a "outdated" belt it's the same belt on every bike....

To me waiting 2 weeks for a belt is the same as waiting 2 weeks for a tire replacement.... Unacceptable no matter the reason!!!!
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's
Pages: [1] 2