Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Oops  (Read 706 times)

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
Oops
« on: February 06, 2015, 03:38:15 PM »

I was leaving Sonny's after lunch, and on my way out the door I passed this guy in a Harley tee-shirt.

It was raining slightly, and I was getting on my my Zero when the guy said something about how it was a terrible day to ride.

So I said my usual "hey, every day's a great day to ride, as long as there isn't any ice on the road!"

He said something about "oh I'd never ride in the rain!"

I said "oh I would just hate being trapped in some little shitbox car, I don't care how dry it is! The bike's too much fun!"

He gave me a long stare then went off to get into a tiny 2 door Kia thing with his wife.

Oops.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Oops
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 06:38:17 PM »

As someone who gets a lot of flack from so many "friends" who also ride for riding year round in temps from 0 - 110 so long as my tires will stick on the ground I second it always being a great day to ride.

Some people I know have gone so far to accuse me of trying to be macho, and trying to prove how hardcore I am ... when in reality I just love riding :/

It was 18 this morning on the way into work :)
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 11:18:51 PM »

Years ago, my only transportation was my trusty KZ550 that I bought in college with money I'd borrowed from grandma. One morning, it was raining as hard as I'd ever seen it in southern California, so I got into my rain gear and rode to work. I parked, kept my helmet on until I got into the building, walked into the lab and took off the rainsuit, booties, gloves etc., hanging everything in various places to drip dry.

Just a couple of minutes later, one of the other guys came into the lab. He'd driven to work, and walked in from the parking lot wearing his jacket and holding an umbrella. The wind was blowing hard so the umbrella didn't even keep his hair dry, his jacket had mostly kept his upper body dry but the rain had completely soaked his pants and his shoes had been underwater several times wading in from the parking lot, so they were utterly saturated. He looked at me, sitting there bone dry, and asked how long it had taken me to dry out. I said I'd just gotten there, but I never got wet because I'd ridden my bike to work.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 03:48:23 PM »

I remember a particularly filthy 200 mile ride in driving rain, it was so bad*, that I was stopping at the services each time to take a rest, such was the concentration required to ride in it.

Funnily enough, so were many other riders out that day, and we were spending a lot of time discussing the pro's and con's of differing wet weather gear (all of which was really being put to the test)

Long story short, my footwear was particularly not up to the job, at least that's the conclusion I came to after pouring a pint of water out of each at some of the stops...

(*how bad was it? Water getting into my jacket killed my phone!)

Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 04:18:26 PM »

An insert into the rear tail, thats a really good idea.

Of course I tail tided my S, so I don't get skunked, I get the Full Monty.  ::)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900
Pages: [1]