• September 27, 2024, 11:22:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pocket batteries  (Read 903 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Pocket batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 10:29:29 PM »

A 12V battery won't do us much good.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 11:19:41 PM »

Obviously we don't ever need a jump start, but it could power the little compressor I carry around with my tire patch kit in case of flats. But I just installed the cigarette lighter on my '14 SR, so I think I'm set there.

None of them have an inverter included....that might come in handy sometimes.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 02:51:38 AM »

Well I sure could have used this when my regulator/rectifier & stator on my GS1100L were committing mutual suicide, except then I was so broke I couldn't replace the reg/rec & stator, and I probably couldn't have afforded this.

I got one of the regular $40 jumpstart units and snuck behind the university health center where there was an unguarded 120v power outlet. (One night at 2am, I'm pushing the bike around, no helmet, no jacket. The UCF cops just drive right past. No "do you need help?" or "what are you doing?" or "is that your bike?" at all.)
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 03:16:39 AM »

These are a great option for anyone with L2 charging. Playing on your smart phone is a great way to kill time while charging but can also kill your battery. Having one of these 12v systems allows you to charge your smart phone while riding to the next charging point. You arrive there with a fully charged smart phone and a lot of time to kill.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 04:34:09 AM »

I was thinking that the batteries could also be handy for anyone who doesn't have a 12V outlet on their bike and could also be used for powering electric clothing when you are off the bike and walking around, or should you not want to hook your electric clothing up to your bike's battery while riding, for whatever reason.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 10:00:01 PM »

No here is a fellow who knows what to do with Li "pocket" batteries.   ;D

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 01:52:04 AM »

You know... stick a low voltage cut off into that, and its actually not a bad idea for a portable welding rig.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 04:05:34 AM »

I decided to follow up on this portable power pack idea by actually buying one. It occurred to me that a small, powerful and portable battery might be useful for powering 12 volt motorcycle accessories while off the bike. Of course, they are also designed for powering cell phones, laptops and the like, but that didn't interest me as I don't have much use for those devices.

As it turned out, I discovered that most of the cheap portable batteries had a very low power limit of only 2 amps from their 12 volt outlet - if they could power anything 12 volt at all. However, I had my attention drawn to a review last month of the iStart battery by WebBikeWorld. I noted that the review said that it was able to provide power of up to 10 amps from its 12 volt port. While more expensive than most of the typical portable Li batteries, it appeared to be the only game in town, other than the similar size Anti-Gravity battery, which sells for around $100 on Amazon and has a 9 amp 12 volt power limit. So I ordered one from Amazon. The iStart battery sells for $130 from the distributor, QuickCable.

Today I gave the iStart a try. It comes with a coaxial electronic equipment power extension cord that plugs into the battery's 12 volt power port which has a double coaxial connector end. I removed one coaxial connector and soldered on a standard SAE connector, which will allow me to power devices like electric clothing or a small air compressor that use that type of connector, while the other coaxial connector can still be used to power 12 volt electronic equipment, such as a portable DVD player.

I charged up the iStart, plugged in the modified power cord and hooked it up to my Gerbing's electric jacket and gloves (which connects to the cords extending from the jacket sleeves). What do you know? The jacket and gloves both heated up and their temperature could be regulated by the Gerbing's “Heat-Troiler” electronic thermostat. The jacket has a 6 amp (77 watt) draw and the gloves take 2.28 amps (22 watts) of power for a total of 8.28 amps - within the battery's 10 amp (128 watt) power limit.

The battery was able to power both the jacket and gloves for about an hour before the power indicator was showing a low charge. It required three hours to fully recharge the battery from the supplied 120V power source.

While there are a number of self-contained battery-powered outdoor jackets and gloves now available on the market selling for around $200 and over, if you already have electric clothing and would like to use it while off your bike, or have some other 12 volt accessory that you would like to power while away from your motorcycle, the iStart or a similar battery might be a useful addition to your gadget collection. Plus, you never know when you might need to jump start a car or motorcycle, or have to power an electronic device. Just be careful to read the battery specifications before you buy to be sure that it has enough power for your needs.
Pages: [1]