• October 02, 2024, 01:17:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New info on MotoCzysz DNF  (Read 2216 times)

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New info on MotoCzysz DNF
« on: June 15, 2009, 10:04:35 AM »

I found a few comments on HellForLeather and Motorcyclist Online by Loni Hull, Systems Integration Engineer for MotoCzysz E1pc.

As I'm sure was true of many other teams, our guys at Motoczysz (including Michael Czysz, who was right in there banging knuckles too) worked many nights until dawn, getting the bike set up, fixing problems as they arose, and cooperating with regulatory requirements (some of them new and unique to electric racers) encountered at the TTXGP.

The bike was as ready as we could make it on the morning of race day, and we all felt good going to the start line because we knew - win or lose - that we had done all we could. The electronics worked, the packs had more than enough storage to rip around the full distance of the track, and the chassis was dialed in perfectly for our rider, Mark Miller.

Our failure to reach the podium was the result of a locked-up motor slightly more than 3 miles from the start line. But that's racing. Just ask John McGuinness!

It was a sad morning for us, but just the beginning of great things from Motoczysz. Stay tuned.

Source: http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/6553919/staff-news/results-of-the-first-ever-green-gp/index.html

Our failure to reach the podium was the result of a locked-up motor slightly more than 3 miles from the start line, in spite of conservative low voltage cutoff and motor current parameters. That's racing. It was a sad day, but just the beginning of great things from Motoczysz. Stay tuned!

Source: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/06/motoczysz-may-not-qualify-for.html

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:09:49 AM by skadamo »

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New info on MotoCzysz DNF
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:44:41 AM »

Sounds like the Brammo bike ridden by Roy Richardson also suffered from motor melt down. (according to motorcyclist online) Craig Bramscher mentioned on twitter that they purposely ran that bike hot to increase their chances.

Quote from: brammoCraig
@skadamo Thanks, we are! Very happy with the results. With 2 in race we risked pushng the limit and we got bit on #11, but happy with podium 5:28 PM Jun 12th from web in reply to skadamo
http://twitter.com/BrammoCraig/status/2137636147

Not sure who makes the motors in the Brammo and the MotoCzysz.  Anyone know?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:53:47 AM by skadamo »

EnvironMoto

• View Profile
    • EnvironMoto: Green Motorcycle Design and Competition
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:11:15 AM »

I give MotoCzysz a boat load of credit.  That bike was developed in just a few months.  In human terms, that bike hasn't even learned to crawl yet.  With a year of development and advancements... look out.
EnvironMoto: Chronicling Green Motorcycle Design and Competition

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:38:29 AM »

here's some more info on why:
http://www.motoczysz.com/club/?p=288

Three motors blew up and they had battery pack problems....mostly due to not having much track time to test and dial everything in.

Shoulda spent less time making it pretty and more time actually making it able to finish a lap.
Travis

picasso

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 01:46:29 AM »

Wow so it seems Angi gave them spare motors. Damn nice of Angi. I wonder if ANGI was running stock motors or with some changes, Getting an ANGI for my Zero is tempting me.

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 01:51:59 AM »

Motoczysz wasn't the only team that had agni failures.
Travis

picasso

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 06:46:44 AM »

So I wonder the cause? To many amps at to high a voltage? How did Angi get such a great speed and not burn up? Limiting for motor temps?

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 07:14:57 AM »

So I wonder the cause? To many amps at to high a voltage? How did Angi get such a great speed and not burn up? Limiting for motor temps?

Better air cooling, they were mounted almost outboard of the front frame... they were in direct airflow. I also know that they weren't overvolting them by much... 80V or something like that.
Travis
Pages: [1]