• October 02, 2024, 08:38:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Impossible electric bike  (Read 1081 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
The Impossible electric bike
« on: November 21, 2014, 09:37:39 PM »

Mike Werner dug up this odd kickstarter project.  It might be great for transport between classes on a large university campus, but I sure wouldn't ride it on the street.  See his story here:  http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/idea-back-up-electric-motorcycle-for-electric-motorcycles.htm
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: The Impossible electric bike
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 04:24:24 AM »

More foldable scooters can be seen in this report by Cleanrider, including the Impossible version:

http://cleanrider.com/foldable-scooters-e-t-impossible/
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

teddillard

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 07:10:30 AM »

Somebody didn't do their maths...   ::)

teddillard

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 12:01:59 AM »

Here's my tutorial, if anyone wants a little more critical look at this Kickstarter scam thing.   ;D

http://insideevs.com/silly-scooters-impossible-impossible-impossible/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 05:17:21 AM »

I don't think I will argue with you Ted.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of napkin-designs on the internet that are really attracted to electric propulsion, I guess because most people don't understand the physics behind the technology.   

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 07:51:57 AM »

Lead acid is a bad comparison, but even the Li-on options are not great.

The i-Ped 16 is the most efficient of their scooters. It is rated at 28V 16Ah = 448 Wh, with a range of 18 miles in Eco mode = 25 Wh/mile.

Energy used by small scooters will be dominated by rolling resistance. Go-ped claims a 170 pound rider on smooth flat ground, at an unstated speed. The Impossible might be able to transport a much lighter human - say a small child - on low rolling-resistance tires at < 10 mph. But certainly not an "American-sized" adult at the maximum 12 mph speed.

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 12:13:41 PM »

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 04:18:46 PM »

Apparently in this case it's downhill both ways.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

teddillard

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 06:03:15 PM »

I don't think I will argue with you Ted.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of napkin-designs on the internet that are really attracted to electric propulsion, I guess because most people don't understand the physics behind the technology.

Yeah, and unfortunately there are a lot of "journalists" who will simply regurgitate these napkin designs' promotional copy via websites or press releases without really any critical thought, analysis or expertise.  I don't think they're doing anybody any favors - just propagating the scams so prevalent in the current EV market.  For example, my take on that Mini thing everybody's so ridiculously excited about (for no reason I can really comprehend): http://insideevs.com/mini-debuts-electric-citysurfer-scooter-at-2014-la-auto-show/

No offense intended, just sayin'.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:20:56 PM by teddillard »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 09:41:16 PM »

While these design hot-air trial balloons may not make any engineering or marketing sense, I do like to read about and see them. Most of these projects show some out-of-the-box thought and many look kind of cute and visually interesting.  I just wouldn't buy one - unless I owned a modern industrial art museum.   ;)

teddillard

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 10:16:33 PM »

I guess I look at it a little differently.  Where do you draw the line between a design project and fraud?  If they posted in the "Risks" section "We really don't know anything about building a vehicle like this, and we may just take your money and go home." then it's up to the backers to decide. 

I'm also coming from the experience of helping a friend by trying to fix one of these EV Kickstarter projects.  After spending a few thousand dollars the guy had a brick, and no support at all from the "company" making the product. 

Still, buyer (backer) beware, but there are a whole lot of really talented people who know what they're doing who are not getting backing due to this kind of thing.  One bad apple... 

OK, getting down off the soap box, but to say it again, I don't feel like it's doing anything good for EVs.  Either the projects, or the rubber-stamp promotion and publicity people give them. 

:D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:18:31 PM by teddillard »

teddillard

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »

To follow up on this, it seems there are a few backers who may be having some concerns.  Read the comments here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1181257820/impossible-0/comments

"@Roma i fully agree. There has been no concrete updates, videos, pictures or addressing fundamental questions. What we have been getting is just generic stuff that we can google off the net or a work in progress that someone lost a laptop/they have a small team/they have been working really hard.... kind of replies. To me, that is not really an update but more of excuses.

@Creator i suggest posting up pictures of any form of hardware that you might have at this stage to be more transparent to us backers. Just keep us in the loop of this of what is happening no matter how small or what kind of problems you may encounter. Maybe we can bounce ideas off you guys when you get stuck.

...to cite only one. 

This one in particular: "Having famous websites writing about this product certainly helps with the credential, but none of them actually ride one before."

My comment above stands.  There are 673 backers (to date) on that project who are going to be sorely disappointed unless somehow the laws of physics are re-written, and those are backers who might have backed any number of Kickstarter projects that were realistic.  Giving a scam airtime without bothering to determine if it's anything but a scam isn't doing anyone any favors. 

And Kickstarter needs to have accountability for providing a platform for this kind of fiasco.  They make money off of it, they need to take some responsibility. 

Maybe following EVs for as long as I have, building a few, writing about them for over 10 years and seeing scams large and small come and go have just tapped me out on my patience for this.  Or do I just sound "like some old guy..."?   :o
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:22:41 PM by teddillard »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »

Speaking about the "laws of physics", anyone been to the movies lately?  My guess is that most of the world's population get their education in physics from watching action or science fiction movies.  If you watch that stuff, anything is apparently possible.   ::)

nanajittung

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 10:35:09 PM »

Instead of foldable scooter, this weight about  10kg (22lbs) and go as fast at 18 kph

Pages: [1]