• September 25, 2024, 12:27:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A dumbass question  (Read 685 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
A dumbass question
« on: August 29, 2014, 11:41:44 PM »

Or perhaps a question about being a dumbass. For the second time now, I went outside intending to ride the bike to work, only to realize I hadn't plugged it in last night. I feel bad enough driving the car when it's a necessity, wasting precious resources (and money) and polluting the air, I really hate it when the only reason I'm doing it is because I'm a dumbass.

Does anybody else have this problem? I want to nip it in the bud before it becomes a bad habit. What do you guys do to remind yourselves that your ride isn't done until you plug in?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
Re: A dumbass question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 12:05:24 AM »

Excellent a question I'm qualified to answer.

Get a second cord (of sufficient gauge)
- I ride with my spare cord in the bike and the leave the original plugged in at home.
I found myself less likely to forget to plug in when the cord is ready.

Check again  (do not cover dash with gloves)
- I check the garage at night as I lock up - in addition to ensuring the overhead door is shut and lights are off - I also check for the solid (or blinking) green.
Since "double cording" I've only caught one time I've missed plugging in.

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 01:34:56 AM »

I just plug it in after parking it every time.   Just part of the routine. 

I also have a cord at home and a cord that just rides with bike. 
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 02:27:28 AM »

What I do is to install the factory cord in the bike in case of emergencies or if I need to recharge while out on a ride.

At home I have a duplicate charging cord about 6 feet long and I drop it on the floor when I unplug it.  Then when pushing my bike into its garage parking space next to the wall outlet. I roll over the cord with the bike or I trip over it and that reminds me to plug in the bike.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 02:33:51 AM »

Getting a spare cord (Monoprice is pretty good - I bought two cords, one as a spare for pretty cheap) and leaving it plugged into the wall next to your bike makes it easy to form a habit of "just plug it in every time you park".

Sometimes I forget, but I have an 11.4 DS and my commute isn't huge so if I forget, I just plug in at the parking garage for my workplace.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

AustinSZF8.5

• Zero S ZF8.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 03:23:38 AM »

Doug, I've done the same thing a few times. I leave the stock power cord plugged into the wall next to where I park the bike in the garage. It's usually routine - take the helmet and gloves off, take the jacket off and lay it across the seat, grab the cord off the floor and plug it into the bike - but I've still managed to forget a few times, usually preoccupied with grabbing something out of the tank bag or answering a ringing phone, something like that. Thankfully I have a short enough commute that I can ride two days in a row without recharging. If I forget the plug two nights in a row I'm in trouble. Hasn't happened yet. Just jinxed myself, didn't I?   ;D
Jeff - Austin, TX
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 Kawasaki Versys
09 Honda CRF230L

97 Honda Magna - sold 2015
03 Triumph 955i Sprint ST - RIP 2013
87 Honda VFR 700 F2 - sold 2008
92 Yamaha Seca II - sold 2004

ut-zero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »

Do any electric autos have a docking station?  It would be nice if you could ride onto a docking stand, or drop the kickstand down on a particular spot in the garage and have the bike automatically start charging.  I can do it with my phone.  Why not my motorcycle?

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 02:22:22 AM »

Yes, these exist for autos by way of wireless power transmission. Auto-coupling conductive charging systems seem like they would be hard to get right.

http://www.pluglesspower.com
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: [1]