• September 24, 2024, 12:29:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The downside of riding an electric motorcycle  (Read 1668 times)

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
The downside of riding an electric motorcycle
« on: August 13, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »

I have found a really big downside when riding an electric motorcycle (or in my case a scooter). And it's not the range. It's that in almost 8 out of 10 rides, when I stop, I get people coming over with questions. Of course, the BMW C Evolution looks futuristic, but most people hear me arriving (or better, don't hear me coming, just see me).

They'll approach me hesitantly, and ask if the bike is electric. Then the flood gates open, and I get bombarded with questions. The first few times, it was cool, but when you are in a hurry, it's getting too much. One guy just wouldn't let me go, and spent 30 minutes asking so many questions, I felt dizzy. Nowadays I just keep my helmet on, which reduces the number of people coming over.

Any of you encounter this????

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: The downside of riding an electric motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:36:41 PM »

Just hand out cards with http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/ written on them.   :)

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:03:16 PM »

Just hand out cards with http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/ written on them.   :)

:) :) Been actually thinking about making some bragcards and handing those out. Good idea, just put this URL with it.

morimaxx

• View Profile
    • My personal blog (german only)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 02:05:32 PM »

Me too. I've got photos with me in my tankbag of my Zero in front of a charging point with my Blog adress printed on it; Additional I put a sticker with the QR code of my Blog on the upper side of the license plate holder.
So if there is a crowd arround me i can serve them simultanousely. I talk to one guy, another is maybe in a hurry so i give him the photo away. The techies use their Smartphones to visit my Blog.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:11:58 PM by morimaxx »

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »

Me too. I've got photos with me in my tankbag of my Zero in front of a charging point with my Blog adress printed on it; Additional I put a sticker with the QR code of my Blog on the upper side of the license plate holder.
So if there is a crowd arround me i can serve them simultanousely. I talk to one guy, another is maybe in a hurry so i give him the photo away. The techies use their Smartphones to visit my Blog.

Great idea to make some publicity for my site.... ;D

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »

I made a web page and then a QR code sticker and stuck it on my bike. Then I can say "dude, just scan this". There is another darker down side I found. I pulled up at a busy intersection and had to wait while loads of pedestrians crossed. During said pause I had to let one rip (fairly big as it turned out). 50 pedestrians stared in disbelief and confusion trying to rationalise why they heard a huge fart but couldn't hear the bike. There's a dinner conversation for 50 people,

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 05:15:43 PM »

I made a web page and then a QR code sticker and stuck it on my bike. Then I can say "dude, just scan this". There is another darker down side I found. I pulled up at a busy intersection and had to wait while loads of pedestrians crossed. During said pause I had to let one rip (fairly big as it turned out). 50 pedestrians stared in disbelief and confusion trying to rationalise why they heard a huge fart but couldn't hear the bike. There's a dinner conversation for 50 people,

:D :D :D :D

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »

All the time.

Especially when I went to the Tail of the Dragon where basically everyone is a biker.  Every single place I stopped there were at least 5 people asking questions. 

Additionally I go to Cars & Croissants events just about every weekend here in NJ and when I pull in nearly silently a crowd of people follows and peppers me with questions before I can even get off the bike. 

Should get a QR code.  Good idea!
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »

I showed off my Zero at a car show this weekend, but I didn't get much interest.  Over a period of 5 hours only 2 people came over to ask me about the bike and I couldn't even give away a Zero brochure.  Maybe a car show isn't the place to show off an electric motorcycle?  One thing is for sure, I had the only electric vehicle there.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 09:25:49 PM »

I showed off my Zero at a car show this weekend, but I didn't get much interest.  Over a period of 5 hours only 2 people came over to ask me about the bike and I couldn't even give away a Zero brochure.  Maybe a car show isn't the place to show off an electric motorcycle?  One thing is for sure, I had the only electric vehicle there.   ???

I get very little interest, too. Maybe a dozen people have asked me about my SR since I got it in late January -- and I ride my bike, I've got 5400 miles on it. Maybe Californians just aren't the right crowd to wow with a high-tech ride. We may be a pretty automotively jaded bunch.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »

I get asked about my XU and FX almost every time I take them out.
I see it as an UP side to be able to enlighten people about alternative
fuel vehicles. The reason you are not "bothered" as much might be
that they are getting to LOOK more mainstream.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 10:26:40 PM »

Richard230, I am usually part of a larger EV group at car shows with a LEAF, Tesla Model S, BMW i3, etc. 

The other thing that helps is that I made a little sign and tape it to the side of my bike (see attachment).  That way people who aren't bikers will know that they are looking at something special.  Also, I usually talk to so many people that many folks only have time to read the sign while I'm discussing the finer points of 2-wheeled electric awesomeness with someone else.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 11:27:37 PM »

That is a great sign, benswing.  I need to do something like that the next time I display my bike at a show.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 03:02:42 AM »

One guy in a parking asked me for a test ride, in the parking. I was hesitant, I did it but I'm not sure I would do it again. If a policeman showed up, I would have been in trouble.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 03:56:28 AM »

One guy in a parking asked me for a test ride, in the parking. I was hesitant, I did it but I'm not sure I would do it again. If a policeman showed up, I would have been in trouble.

The only time the police and fire department show up at the car shows around here is when they start serving lunch.   ;)
Pages: [1] 2