• October 06, 2024, 12:34:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hollywood Electrics sells Brammo again  (Read 1582 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Hollywood Electrics sells Brammo again
« on: July 31, 2014, 08:37:24 PM »

You may recall that Hollywood Electrics used to sell Brammo Enertias (as well as the Electric Motorsport GPR-S) between 2010 and 2011 and then there seemed to be a little falling-out during the Empulse development years (when Harlan was offering a $1000 rebate should the Empulse deliveries commence during the fall of 2011 - which they didn't - as Brammo had promised to the many potential customers who had registered on-line in July 2010 to buy one - like me).  (I hope I have all of these dates right as my memory is not what it used to be.)

Well, it appears that all is forgiven and Hollywood Electrics is now Brammo's latest retail dealer (again).  Good for Brammo, good for Harlan, good for the EV motorcycle market in Southern California and maybe not so good for Zero sales in the same area.  This will continue to put pressure on Zero to step up their game next year.  Perhaps Zero should consider a sport-bike-looking version of the Zero SR to compete directly with the Empulse?  Anyway, here is the story:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140731005275/en/Brammo-Welcomes-Hollywood-Electrics-Dealer-Network#.U9pSNGPQqM1
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

frodus

• View Profile
Re: Hollywood Electrics sells Brammo again
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »

This is awesome. Congrats to both Harlan and his entire team and Brammo.

I don't know if it'll hurt Zero a ton. Most people I've seen (here on the forum, and talking to people in person) are either pretty sure they want a Zero, ot they're pretty sure they want a Brammo. I think it'll help Harlan to be that one-stop-shop that has it all, where the customers can just go, take a ride, decide and take one home. I definitely think it'll help Brammo, just as adding any dealership would (not that Harlan is "any dealership"...lol).

I look forward to Mods Harlan! Dual chargers? Top case? custom tuning?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:13:45 PM by frodus »
Travis

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 09:36:49 PM »

...maybe not so good for Zero sales in the same area.  This will continue to put pressure on Zero to step up their game next year.

I couldn't disagree more. When Elon Musk was explaining why Tesla wouldn't prosecute anybody to protect their patented technologies, he said that what Tesla needed was MORE and BETTER competition. More EVs on the road will raise EVs from a niche market to the mainstream, which can only be good for Tesla.

I ride a Zero SR, and I couldn't be rooting more strongly for Brammo, Mission, Lightning, BMW and whoever else tries to push the market forward. It'll be good for ALL the players, even in the short run.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 03:14:47 AM »

I was thinking in terms of the two bike's styling.  I believe that the sport bike design like the Empulse is more popular in the Southern California market than the Zero street/supermoto styling.  Having the two bikes being sold side by side for around the same price in the same showroom would lead me to believe that the Empulse will be more attractive to your typical IC motorcycle customer than the styling of the Zero and may potentially steal some sales from Zero at Harlan's shop.

In any case, I still think that giving the SR more of a sport bike styling, in addition to the supermoto styling version, would improve their sales in some markets.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 06:18:24 AM »

Interesting news.  Harlan is positioning himself as the #1 electric motorcycle dude worldwide regardless of brand.  Perhaps it is all part of an ingenious plot to try and take over the (electric motorcycle) world!

Also, I agree about the SR styling.  Would be great to have a more aggressive stance for that kind of power.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:28:13 AM »

Unless I am mistaken, this makes Hollywood Electrics the only retail dealer in the World to sell both Brammo and Zero.  Having both brands in a single showroom will really give his customers an electric motorcycle choice of different models that will appeal to different customers.  It is going to be very interesting to see how the two brands going head-to-head will work out in the marketplace.   :)

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »

Perhaps it is all part of an ingenious plot to try and take over the (electric motorcycle) world!

And that would be a good thing...! :)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 03:08:00 AM »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;-)

I, too, had a reservation for an Empulse - I made it right after the unveiling of the prototype at Laguna Seca in 2010.

I like both the Brammo and the Zero, but the Empulse has always looked a bit 'clunky' to me.  Also, after owning three EVs without a transmission - I see the transmission on the Brammo as an unnecessary added weight and complexity.

2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 03:37:47 AM »

I see the transmission on the Brammo as an unnecessary added weight and complexity.

This SR rider agrees with you. If done right, I think an EV doesn't need a tranny. My bike certainly doesn't need a lower gear to provide more torque multiplication at low rpms!

I assume the transmission is lubricated, isn't it? Do you therefore have an oil pump, filter, and require at least occasional oil changes? That just seems like more required maintenance, and more possibilities for failure to me. Same with the water cooling system -- if you can do without it, it seems like you save weight, cost, maintenance, and your breakdown rate should go down as well.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 04:03:47 AM »

From an engineering, chassis component and assembly point of view, I think the Empulse is the more interesting motorcycle.  However, I agree with Doug S that for my purposes, the Zero is the more practical vehicle. Less maintenance, easier to clean and it takes up less space in my crowded garage. Plus it is less attractive to low-lifes that might be interested in messing with it as it looks like it costs a lot less than the Empulse and wouldn't be worth stealing for parts.  I still think that having both bikes in a single showroom really gives the potential customer a clear choice of different designs.  It will be interesting to see how Harlan promotes both brands.

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 04:35:42 AM »

I think we all need a bit  more competition, especially on the quality / customer experience & service. Plus the potential market (ie people who would buy an ebike but do not know about it or do not want all the hassle of being an early customer) is much bigger than the accessible market - the bigger the dealership network, the pressure on bike makers to do quality products & services, the quicker this market will grow !

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 06:35:42 PM »

FWIW no other EV manufacturer uses gears including Mission, Lightning, Energica... Even car manufacturers don't use gears.

Would like to see Brammo ditch gears and make some different models.  Also upgrade range. 

Now that Harlan's in their ear it will be interesting if they listen to his recommendations.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 10:52:33 PM »

Tacita uses gears and also the Formula E racer uses gears.
Agility (Saietta) is also looking at gears.
So there are still new EV products/concepts coming to the market which use gears.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 02:13:42 AM »

Hey everybody. Thanks for all the positive comments! We think this is going to be a win-win-win for everyone involved and further establishes Hollywood Electrics as the one-stop destination for your two-wheeled electric needs. We're looking forward to getting more riders on the road on these great products!
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 10:44:07 AM »

Damn. Guess I'm going to have to schedule a vacation to LA :)

Seriously, one of the things the electric motorcycle industry needs most is more Harlans.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log
Pages: [1] 2