• October 06, 2024, 06:31:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Daymak Beast Electric mini-bike  (Read 853 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Daymak Beast Electric mini-bike
« on: July 18, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »

Here is another new prototype electric vehicle.  This one is sort of a large mini-bike or naked scooter, with small knobby tires, covered with solar panels, and a Givi top box installed.  The price is right, if it actually comes to market and at that price: 

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/daymak-beast-electric-bike-first-ride-review.html?utm_source=mo07172014&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Daymak Beast Electric mini-bike
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:28:51 PM »

Very cute! Honestly one of the design decisions they made that I like is the use of the lead-acid battery. That's obviously a big part of how they kept the price down. I think sometimes we jump right to the highest-tech solution without considering lower-tech solutions that may be more appropriate for the usage. For a utility/fun vehicle like this, why NOT lead-acid?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:23:02 PM »

Why not lead acid?

Well.. besides weight and range and cycle counts.. if you're only looking for a toy then the lead acid will work fine (for a little bit).
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:56:15 PM »

Why not lead acid?

Well.. besides weight and range and cycle counts.. if you're only looking for a toy then the lead acid will work fine (for a little bit).

Look up "AGM batteries", protomech. They're quite rugged and have a good lifetime, for not much higher cost than a regular car battery.

And my point is, EVERY vehicle doesn't have to spring for the most expensive technology to be as light as a feather.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.
Pages: [1]