Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: noob  (Read 761 times)

PattiMichelle

• View Profile
noob
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:21:49 AM »

Hi Everyone:
I have a 1986 yamaha riva scooter that I'd like to stick a hub motor in and convert to electric.  I found Kelly controls some years ago, but now I see Golden motor.  Is there a place I can buy from that is high quality?  I want it to be regen, and I think that's more or less standard.  I am not sure how many watts I need - it will be a street scooter and my round trip to work is about 10 miles - the way people drive I'd like to have a 50mph top speed.

I think I read these electric scooters are quick off the line (no gears and high torque) - is that true?  And what about motors that have changeable windings?

THANK YOU!!!!
Patricia  :D

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: noob
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »

Hello Patricia.  You will probably get a lot more replies to your questions here:  http://www.elmoto.net/content.php

The el moto crowd is really into the "roll your own" concept and will be very happy to help you out with lots of suggestions. Plus, you will be the only female posting on the site - which might be a plus or minus, depending.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

PattiMichelle

• View Profile
Re: noob
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:02:53 AM »

LOL - thanks - that address sounds familiar - I may have posted there a while ago...

It looks like kelly Controls is the source for hub motors - although their prices have gone up in the last few years!  Golden motor is a LOT cheaper, but I'm afraid of poor quality.  Maybe I should just buy an ZEV scooter or an IO manhattan...?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:18:15 AM by PattiMichelle »
Pages: [1]