• October 26, 2024, 08:25:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How well do electric motorcycles do in hot climates like Phoenix, AZ?  (Read 747 times)

electricdominic

• View Profile

How well do electric motorcycles do in hot climates like Phoenix, AZ?

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: How well do electric motorcycles do in hot climates like Phoenix, AZ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 03:44:25 AM »

I'll let someone else answer that. It has been a long time since I have been hot.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: How well do electric motorcycles do in hot climates like Phoenix, AZ?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:03:25 PM »

I'm in Alabama, and summers here tend to peak in the 100-105 range. Generally speaking, batteries perform better in the heat (more capacity and power) but also suffer more wear. Motors tend to perform a little worse, they can become heat-soaked if the cooling system cannot handle the heat. Depending on the battery specifications, you may have to charge in the shade instead of direct sunlight.

The EIG cells in the zeros are listed as +50 degrees C (122 F) maximum storage and operation, and +40 C (104 F) maximum charging temperature.

On a really hot day in AZ you might have to bring the bike inside after a ride to charge - or wait for the evening.

In AL I'm not worried about the temperatures, but I will be charging in the garage.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: [1]