• September 20, 2024, 03:56:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Battery Storage Tips  (Read 579 times)

Pard

• View Profile
Battery Storage Tips
« on: August 26, 2024, 08:03:37 PM »

Good info about the Li-NMC battery, same type used on our bikes.  (correct me if wrong!)

FlyMig

• View Profile
Re: Battery Storage Tips
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2024, 10:04:03 PM »

I would also like to know what type of battery Energica uses.  Remember hearing that the pack is made somewhere in the US and then shipped to Italy, who knows.   

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2024, 04:30:24 AM »

Im pretty sure they are the cobalt chemistry,.  Density and power output.  The race bikes are, and I am pretty sure it's the same battery, just different programming on what you are allowed to do to it.

aaron

Grauteufel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2024, 04:46:56 AM »

They are an NCM chemistry like specter said, they used to be made by Energy Innovation Group (korean mfg), but energica got cagey about the actual manufacturer of the new packs. I think maybe Farisis?

"Energica has been using flat lithium pouch cells with the Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt / NMC chemistry. Everyone in the E-motorcycle and electric aircraft industries have stated that solid-state batteries will be a huge improvement, if…they ever start being produced. They work in the lab, but I haven’t found out what the holdup is for production" - electricbike.com

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2024, 04:55:02 AM »

Yeah it's never been officially stated who the supplier is for the current gen cells.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2024, 06:57:33 AM »

"Energica has been using flat lithium pouch cells with the Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt / NMC chemistry. Everyone in the E-motorcycle and electric aircraft industries have stated that solid-state batteries will be a huge improvement, if…they ever start being produced. They work in the lab, but I haven’t found out what the holdup is for production" - electricbike.com

Conventional lithium ion cells are constructed of anode/separator/cathode layers that are benign until the electrolyte is added.  The separator becomes saturated which aids in averting voids between layers.

Solid state batteries are also constructed of anode/separator/cathode layers but they are active during the stacking operation (pouch cells) or winding operation (cylindrical cells) which is challenging enough because now we have a thermal hazard should cross contamination occur.  The real difficulty from what I've heard is getting uniform structure w/o voids which effects performance / degradation.

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Grauteufel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2024, 10:02:22 AM »

Remember hearing that the pack is made somewhere in the US and then shipped to Italy, who knows.

maybe not, I believe they assemble the cells into packs in Italy these days

"At the back of the production facility is the battery assembly area – unlike many other electric motorcycle manufacturers, Energica constructs their own battery packs. The battery assembly area is a high voltage, fenced off area where Energica takes the lithium polymer pouch cells and constructs them in 2 strings of batteries connected in parallel"  -australianelectricmotorco.com/energica-factory-tour/-

FlyMig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2024, 10:39:17 AM »

It does say NMC Lipo see pic. Idk what the whole designation means

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2024, 07:23:07 PM »

https://x.com/OwenGregorian/status/1829478115019464869

Interesting stuff... Solid  State Battery Tech

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2024, 07:51:49 PM »

https://x.com/OwenGregorian/status/1829478115019464869

Interesting stuff... Solid  State Battery Tech

"Solid-state batteries, which have a firm electrolyte instead of a liquid one, provide power and safety benefits, per Popular Mechanics. When batteries operate, ions — commonly lithium — move between the anode and cathode through the electrolyte"

Strange this Popular Mechanics, definition is used where semi solid state and true solid state exist.  Now solid means firm. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 07:53:40 PM by Fran K »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2024, 01:44:27 AM »

It does say NMC Lipo see pic. Idk what the whole designation means

Nickel Manganese Cobolt Lithium Polymer.  The high density packs, meaning they can put out huge amounts of current on demand, however the trade off, is they are more prone to thermal runaway and are a bit more temperamental should they start getting hot.

The problem with the solid state batteries is scaling them to size.  Making BIG ones is challenging, as they are somewhat fragile until final assembly.

Aaron
Pages: [1]