• September 20, 2024, 10:28:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charge port lock failure  (Read 619 times)

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Charge port lock failure
« on: August 26, 2024, 01:22:45 AM »

Let me get in on this whole error trend!

The charge port on my Ribelle stopped locking after a recent hose-down and I wondered if anyone's had issues with the charge port lock before? It still charges AC but CCS requires the port to lock for DC. I've encountered locking errors before after riding through standing water but it's always gone away after an hour so, this has persisted for a week now. I reckon the problem is water ingress into the actuator, I'm not hearing it try to operate.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Charge port lock failure
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2024, 07:02:46 AM »

If you look in there down the side you may see it.  Make sure it's dry and the wires are still connected etc.  Might have to take some plastic off to get to the parts to have a really good look but its worth a try.

I am pretty sure it wants to see it lock for AC too, when I charge AC I also hear it slide up and down.  Maybe there is another switch for DC that got water logged or something amiss with it.

Are you sure the DC is down correctly, there are not any screws or something in the lip way that may be keeping the charging head from seating fully.  I mean give this thing a good hard push while wiggling DOWN on it, press wiggle and ensure it's FLAT.  The DC charge cables are heavy and it's very easy to have the thing cocked just a tiny bit that you don't notice it, but it's enough to not engage that last switch and throw a fault when trying to charge.

This is one thing that pisses me off with charging, is when it does fail it won't really tell you WHY?  Was it a switch fail, insulation fail, comms, WHAT???

Also when it fails, I find that it's best to just turn the bike off and then back on to try to reinitiate,  making sure you unplugged it first, that way everything is starting from scratch, and nothing is left lingering in any memories, both the bike OR the charger.

so plug
charge
it fails.
fine.,  F you
Unplug if it lets you, if it don't then cycle power to unlock fully.
power off bike, unplug.
replug, make sure it's TIGHT.,     
then repower up the bike
let the bike go thru it's boot sequence and be at the .. ok im good to go screen.
THEN re initialize a charge requst.  you should see it doing it's config thing, and hopefully in about 5 to 20 seconds it starts charging.

pay attention to specifically what error it gives and hopefully we can figure something out if it don't try again.

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2024, 06:39:46 PM »

Yep, the lock also engages when charging AC.

When the connection after plugging fails, does the yellow triangle with exclamation mark show up in the display right bottom?
Just met another Ribelle rider and he knows that problem as well as Aaron described it.

His advice was to leave the plug in the bike. Switch the bike on or wait until the yellow sign dissapears and then quickly re-initiate the charge at the charger.
Tried it once and it seems to work as well.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2024, 01:33:56 AM »

The lock also engages with AC but it's not *required* for AC. The CCS protocol requires it to be locked though which is why it fails.

I always hold the CCS connector into the port until the lock comes up just to be sure, in this case I went to one with a light cable (the heavier ones for higher power charging are more prone to pulling on the connector). Yes the orange triangle appears but I didn't retry given that I knew the lock mechanism was bad.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2024, 05:12:11 AM »

If you lock mechanism is bad it will probably fail every time then.  It has to see that switch make or it will not initialize properly, especially on DC.

DC voltages like to creep, especially when it's damp out, very humid, foggy, drizzly, etc.  That plug being flush is not only just to make sure you have a good connection to push current thru BUT to also make sure you have good insulation around the pos and neg so no flash overs happen.  Part of that good connection thing is to make sure the plug is also locked in place so you can't wiggle it loose and give it a place for current to sneak somewhere it don't belong.

Its not too hard to replace that switch,just a booger to get to if you have to.

aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2024, 01:20:35 AM »

It's likely the actuator, I've been trying to get at the underside of the port to check the control lines going to it but I'd need to isolate it from the battery to do so really.

Energica UK have some servos in stock so I'm gonna arrange to have it replaced. I just wanted to make sure it was actually that causing the problem since with everything happening in the tech industry right now I'm not excited to be paying dealer bills.

If anyone's interested I have a bunch of photos of the various electrical gubbins I can share. I'd like to give a big round of applause to Energica proving again they're a company that makes motorbikes for motorcyclists, the plastics are all fasteners and no clips!

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2024, 04:41:32 AM »

Work on it with the bike off, you should not have to isolate it from the battery to work on the charging port.  Remember, juice is not turned on, at the charger OR the bike, until BOTH of them are happy.  If the bike is turned off, the master relay is out and there shouldn't be any HV anywhere except the battery side of the main relay, there should be nothing at the port there and it is safe to work on.

aaron

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2024, 02:20:50 PM »

Work on it with the bike off, you should not have to isolate it from the battery to work on the charging port.

Confirm if the bike is off all orange HV wires should measure 0VDC. The battery uses contactors to enable specific HV wires.
Even if the bike is on the HV+ wire that goes between the charge port and the battery is not live unless the bike is DC charging.

A bike with a failed charge lock will display a fault message when being charged via AC, the bike will still charge. The DC charge initiation process requires a conformation the lock pin is engaged, without that a charge session can not be started.
The ports on CCS1 (USA) and CCS2 (EU) implement the lock pin differently. CCS2 extends the pin through the side of the charge port and into a hole in the connector. CCS1 positions the pin at the top of the port and when extended it prevents the connectors release lever from being depressed. The lock pin is driven through a gearbox powered by a small motor, it is bolted to the charge port allowing the unit to be replaced if damaged. The lock has a 4 pin connector the outer 2 wires provide 12V power to drive the motor, the inner wires complete a circuit when the pin is in the extended position. Water can get into the lock and cause issues with power getting to the motor or interrupting the locked signal.

In a pinch the inner pins of the connector can be jumped together to provide a lock signal and allow a DC charge session. Unplugging the CCS connector during a charge session can cause electric arcing and should never be done.

Pages: [1]