• September 22, 2024, 03:31:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mini Zero on the way, question mark.  (Read 870 times)

T.S. Zarathustra

• View Profile
Mini Zero on the way, question mark.
« on: August 14, 2024, 03:33:46 AM »

https://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle-news/zero-electric-minimoto/

The article mentions some FX parts bin engineering. The rest is mostly speculation.

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Mini Zero on the way, question mark.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2024, 04:13:50 AM »

That will certainly be interesting to see. I can't imagine they'd actually save all that much money by dropping the power and creating a new motor compared to just using FXE drivetrain components, in which case it would destroy any of the other mini bikes available. And if it's got the 7.2 pack in it then it will also have significantly more range than any of the electric alternatives. It will be heavier but still pretty light, I'd guess within 15-20kg more than a grom. The big issue is going to be the price, just going smaller isn't going to drop it much compared to the FXE and that's like 3 times the cost of a grom. They could cheap out a bit on the suspension and brakes but I don't see where else they're going to save.

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2024, 07:25:11 PM »

I don't know, the FX line is probably "paid for" as far as ROI on the tooling and inventory and what not.

Like Kawasaki and the 1st gen Ninja 250 or KLR650. right before they updated the plastics for those models they were practically giving them away with the purchase of a trucker hat. There comes a point in a platforms lifecycle that it is basically 100% profit, if it sells long enough.

That might signal a refresh of the FX models and this "Grom Killer" is a way to unload the inventory stock.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2024, 09:01:59 PM »

But it's not going to use many FX parts, just the motor, controller, battery, and probably the charger. Everything else is going to be new, plastics are fairly cheap but a brand new frame and swingarm won't be.
Pages: [1]