• September 28, 2024, 02:16:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: KTM plans to market a couple of new electric motorcycles  (Read 678 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
KTM plans to market a couple of new electric motorcycles
« on: August 02, 2024, 07:56:57 PM »

Motorcycle.com says that KTM is warming up a couple of new electric motorcycles for the EV market. But looking at the specifications, I wouldn't get too excited about their performance or range. They look to me like just one step above an electric bicycle. Great for around town and short commuting trips, but not so useful for longer trips or riding at freeway speeds: https://www.motorcycle.com/bikes/new-model-preview/street-legal-ktm-freeride-husqvarna-pioneer-electrics-coming-for-2025-44605567

(Apparently, KTM is really scared of high voltage electricity.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 03:14:55 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: KTM plans to market a couple of new electric motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2024, 08:20:57 PM »

They'll probably fuck around until someone kicks them in the ass.

It'll either take a legal deadline, or someone else just making something too compelling to ignore and they have the press on their side when it comes to the latter.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2024, 09:28:33 PM »

Richard, you're missing a 7 off the end of that link

I'm curious whether that 5.54kW is actually the motor power and not the battery capacity and they just missed the "/h" off the end. It seems a little too precise to be power output, and considering the "li-ion" and "660W" are referring to the battery chemistry and charging rate. I don't know why they would so significantly decrease the power compared to the off-road Freeride (18kW) and a slight increase from the 3.9kW/h battery would make sense for road use.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2024, 12:26:43 AM »

Even though they quote Pierer saying the earlier freerides had or have a 320 volt system it clearly states 260 volts on the power pack 2017 through 2023.   I guess the moto journalists have to try and use peak numbers.  ::) My 2017 model had more wires on it than the more recent ones it was close to having enough to be street legal.  I have read 2016 had some street legal ones but I don't think they imported to USA until 2017.  Ktm had 12 dealers for the battery motorcycle in 2017 from memory and the expense to the dealers wasn't great they needed to have a special cabinet and send someone to class.  I doubt the author called one of the 12 dealerships and enquired.  It was long enough ago that I won't type out what I recall form the salesman at the dealer I got the 2017 from.  Not sure what portion were sold at the MSRP.  Probably few.  That did not stop the youtube guys from acting like that was the price.

The power level is such that I don't think any active posters on here have something in that "class"  I seem to recall earlier press releases about multiple new models by 2025.

It looks like I can still modify my post 22 or so hours later.  I have the 2023 manual in pdf format open and went to the specifications section and it states that the end of charging voltage is 300 volts so perhaps Mr. Perier isn't too informed about his product as he is quoted saying 320 volts.  It is 72 in series and 5 in parallel for what it is worth than being from memory.  At least from a practical USA person's perspective surely, they had prototypes perhaps in the 2013 era?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 10:16:44 PM by Fran K »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2024, 03:16:15 AM »

Richard, you're missing a 7 off the end of that link

I'm curious whether that 5.54kW is actually the motor power and not the battery capacity and they just missed the "/h" off the end. It seems a little too precise to be power output, and considering the "li-ion" and "660W" are referring to the battery chemistry and charging rate. I don't know why they would so significantly decrease the power compared to the off-road Freeride (18kW) and a slight increase from the 3.9kW/h battery would make sense for road use.

Oops. Thanks for that. I corrected my link. Sometimes my cut and paste just slips up a bit.   :-[
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]