• September 19, 2024, 07:21:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Is The Energica Your Favorite Bike?  (Read 2685 times)

Pard

• View Profile
Re: Is The Energica Your Favorite Bike?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2024, 11:48:35 PM »

It is definitely my favorite bike. I sold my KTM 1190 ADV as soon as I got my Experia home. I honestly feel like they are very comparable. Especially in terms of power and weight.

I'm taking the Experia this weekend to Weaverville for a rally with another moto forum I'm on. it will be a 1000 mile weekend. My ICE mounted friends know that they will have very few concessions to make to accommodate me charging (if at all). They're happy to let me plan the route and stops, so I plan the natural stops (for gas, coffee, meals, stretches on long days) to happen at charging locations. We're all 50-somethings now so a 40ish minute break every 2 or 3 hours of riding is par for the course.

I don't think I'll ever go back to ICE bikes.

Great post!

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2024, 12:12:48 AM »

My '21 Energica Eva-Ribelle is the favored bike when close to home meaning round trip within battery capacity typically 80-mile radius or less, need quick errands to run, take-out food, back road romp she's the one particularly in summer time when juice is free using dedicated solar charger / converter runs  @ 1KW which sounds wimpy but works for me.

My '22 BMW R1250RT is a time machine and favored when long distance travel calls or 2up w/ wifey.  My work commute is 500miles round trip at two week cadence.  We are talking effieciency, range and comfort beyond any 2-wheeled machine owened in 40+ years riding.  Do all my own wrenching on it too...only bring it to dealer for free 12K drive-shaft inspection / 36k free shaft replacement which results in low burden for me.

These are the last bikes I intend to own for rest of lifetime...hoping 10+ good years of riding left, starting retirement soon...thinking already next steps to refresh / rebuild Ribelle battery...still have a few years on factory cells before limp mode becomes a nuisance...heee...heee...keep it green.
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2024, 02:20:34 AM »

Well,  hard to say.
Ribelle,I love on the road,   EGO, love on the track, not supposed to have it on the road but what momma don't know, won't hurt her !  :)
Seriously though the EGO is a bit too race stanced IMO for any amount of time road driving, especially waiting at stoplights etc would suck.  It's bad enough waiting in the paddock area for them to let us loose, let alone if you got stuck in rush hour traffic.  But man, to go wot and listen to the wind whistle in your helmet.  there's something special about that.    YES I ALWAYS wear a helmet, sorry but when you hit a beetle at triple digits and it sounds like you got hit with a bullet, no thanks, don't need that on bare forehead.

Sometime this year I am probably going to convert my Ribelle's braking system over to be like the EGO's.  The insane amount of braking power the bike has, I just love it, been in a few bad spots before and having that extra 'security' would make for easier riding.  Not to mention, swapping back and forth between bikes, Id rather keep them as close to each other as possible.  Coming up to a red light hot, and remembering, ooh, this is NOT the race bike, with the race brakes,  easy boy!!!

Now if we could only convince Energica to open the Ribelle up to 150 like the EGO, even if I had to pay a bit for it, id still do it.  I like BOTH bikes on the track, and some tracks, like drag racing,some circuits or divisions you can only use street legals,  so much for the EGO, and having a dragger capped at a buck 25.  yah,gee thanks.

Aaron

Aaron

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2024, 05:19:54 AM »

I have a Ribelle RS and absolutely love it! That torque never gets old! I have a 60-70 mile commute, mostly on open roads including one half mile of perfectly straight with little opposing traffic. Can't imagine a bike better suited or more fun for my trip to work. But completely agree with Aaron, the top speed is seriously lame.  But I also have a KTM 1290 SA for the long trips which I don't take very often but can not see taking the Ribelle on a long trip considering the state on CCS charging in NC.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2024, 06:45:05 AM »

I have gotten range anxiety a few times but later found out it was unwarranted.  I put 220 miles on it during a normal,  well all mixed traffic day, some highway, stop andgo, 30 mph,  50 mph,  20 mph, and it ended with 11 percent left.  I had another instance where I got in with a ride, and on the highway, and was told, oh this place is only a few minutes away, which turned out to be 35 miles away, so Im like well F#$%k me, I didn't bring any charging cords with me, and we are out in the boondocks here, shit I might need to ride bitch back home and get the gd truck and trailer to get the bike.  I started the trip with 58 miles on the bike already so doing another 70 at ...extra highway speeds, yah...  Well I ended up again, 11 percent when I got home, but on the return 38 miles it was actually, I never went above 65 to 70 mph I was very careful to keep the speed down.  Take it easy on the throttle and try to coast when you get up to speed seems to help a bit.

One of these days I am going to actually suit up and ride my bike TO the track, if I do the speed limit i can make the 105 miles on one single charge but ill be safe and stop about the 60 mile mark and recharge since it is highway running and well.  keeping under 70 is gonna be hard, but honestly, and Ill try to get GOOD numbers, but I think if you keep it at 70 you can get 110 to 120 miles on a charge.  That's not bad actually, especially considering most people aregoing to ride in 'comfort' mode, ie sitting straight up, not trying to be real aerodynamically efficient.

I really want to top it off, get it in the highway and just run it to like 10 percent, just to see how far it can go at 70 mph give or take a few mph.  just to have REAL numbers on what the range really is.  I don't like doing the well, I did 20 percent and lost 12 percent battery so times 5 is bla bla because that is not really accurate, as... as the charge goes down, so does the voltage, so you suck more amps, which means percentage will drop faster the lower you are.  At a full charge  20 miles may drop you 15 percent, but if you are at 30 percent charge, that same 20 miles may drop you 20 or 25 percent.,.. even in wussy mode.

As a side comment, has anyone ever ran their bike to zero, or lets say 2 or 3 percent,  does it just die or will it let you limp it at say 20 mph for 5 more miles.  or what exactly can one expect when they get that stupid?

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2024, 11:07:57 AM »

As a side comment, has anyone ever ran their bike to zero, or lets say 2 or 3 percent,  does it just die or will it let you limp it at say 20 mph for 5 more miles.  or what exactly can one expect when they get that stupid?
Aaron

Here me, I was that stupid  8) when the bike was new. But I did that intentionally by riding close to my home, exactly bc I wanted to know what to expect. Limp mode was activated at 4 or 5 % SOC then. Max speed was limited ot approx. 50 kph and acceleration was like granny on a bicycle, that should give you a residual range of about 20 km or so.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2024, 08:07:55 PM »

I ran mine about 12 miles beyond zero at one point thanks to two bad chargers in a row.

My average is generally something like 115 miles top to tail staying off motorways and keeping a cruising speed of 60 (real) when not being slowed down by stuff or overtaking. I usually rule of thumb about 95 miles for 80% and 70 for 60% but it's not that uncommon for me to beat that if the route is slow or my riding buddies are feeling laid back.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

flynnstig82r

• Just another lanesplitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2024, 04:37:06 AM »

Aaron
I’ve been that stupid, multiple times. I think the older 13.4 kWh battery is touchier than the new ones, because I’ve had my 13.4 go into 55 MPH limp mode at 17% SoC where the big rig behind me wanted to go no slower than 70, which was fun. I’ve also had the bike shut off completely at 8% SoC on a country road miles from home, luckily I was able to get it to turn back on and nurse it home at 25 MPH on the shoulder and 15 MPH in a bike lane when one appeared.

I also rode my ‘17 Zero SR 13.0 until it shut off multiple times. That bike was a lot more permissive about letting me abuse the battery until it couldn’t go any farther (77 highway miles on a pack with 13% degradation was the record). I appreciated that leeway, but I could see why they had to replace so many of their packs.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2020 Energica SS9 13.4 kWh
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2024, 05:56:50 AM »

Well that's good to know you can get away with a little bit if you get in a jam then.  Probably why they have the extra KW tucked away, just to avoid being stranded.

Granted if you can keep your speed around 35  to 40 you'll do fantastic, its above that where the wind starts to really tear up your efficiency, and about 100 where your KW burn really cranks up hard.

Aaron

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2024, 12:55:12 AM »

Granted if you can keep your speed around 35  to 40 you'll do fantastic, its above that where the wind starts to really tear up your efficiency, and about 100 where your KW burn really cranks up hard.

Aaron

This is true given (wind) drag increases with the square of velocity and represents the biggest load if riding steady state...
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2024, 02:35:33 PM »

Aaron
I’ve been that stupid, multiple times. I think the older 13.4 kWh battery is touchier than the new ones, because I’ve had my 13.4 go into 55 MPH limp mode at 17% SoC where the big rig behind me wanted to go no slower than 70, which was fun. I’ve also had the bike shut off completely at 8% SoC on a country road miles from home, luckily I was able to get it to turn back on and nurse it home at 25 MPH on the shoulder and 15 MPH in a bike lane when one appeared.

I have owned both 13,4 Esse and 21,5 Ribelle. I have ran both bikes to 0%. Can't say one is more sensitive than the other. Two factors influence early limp: battery temparature (cold winter) and battery balance. A well balanced battery is much tougher in low SOC.  I do notice that the 21,5 needs more effort to balance.

2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

flynnstig82r

• Just another lanesplitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2024, 10:38:38 PM »

Both of those days were extremely cold, around 37 deg F (I think that’s about 3 or 4 C), so that might have been the reason.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2020 Energica SS9 13.4 kWh
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2024, 10:51:32 PM »

It is definitely my favorite bike. I sold my KTM 1190 ADV as soon as I got my Experia home. I honestly feel like they are very comparable. Especially in terms of power and weight.

I'm taking the Experia this weekend to Weaverville for a rally with another moto forum I'm on. it will be a 1000 mile weekend. My ICE mounted friends know that they will have very few concessions to make to accommodate me charging (if at all). They're happy to let me plan the route and stops, so I plan the natural stops (for gas, coffee, meals, stretches on long days) to happen at charging locations. We're all 50-somethings now so a 40ish minute break every 2 or 3 hours of riding is par for the course.

I don't think I'll ever go back to ICE bikes.
I have been riding my 1971 BMW R75/5 a lot lately.

As long as the bike gets me where I am going., I am not too picky.

But I sure was wishing I was on any of my electrics the other day when I was stuck in bad traffic because of an accident on Hwy 395, in south Reno,  while riding my Harley. They do not allow lane splitting in NV and my left was extremely tired from the clutch operation.

-Don-  Auburm CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2024, 11:27:27 PM »

Tome Cruise rode a Livewire DelMar electric motorcycle for the world to see. 

I need to test ride that bike,  Hear great things, just has horrible range.

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2024, 06:54:25 AM »

I've owned 5 electrics. All were a ton of fun, and my favorite when the ride was short or I didn't mind the weight or the wait.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4