• September 22, 2024, 05:40:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aftermarket keyblank to open storage tank?  (Read 1966 times)

hotsauce

• View Profile
Aftermarket keyblank to open storage tank?
« on: July 26, 2024, 08:04:17 PM »

I've just bought an SR/F and I'm kind of dumbfounded that the storage tank only opens with the key, rather than being a lockable push button. So my thinking is get a blank key without a chip cut to match my ignition key and just leave it in there, only taking it out when I want to actually lock the tank. Zero will sell me a key blank for $87, but since I don't need the chip I'd really like to avoid paying that much.
So the essence of my question is: does Zero use a standard key blank that I can buy elsewhere for cheap?

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Aftermarket keyblank to open storage tank?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2024, 10:40:52 PM »

Not sure this would work but.

May professional locksmiths have credit card keys.  It's literally a plastic credit card,you give them your key and they cut it's shape into the plastic and you keep it in your wallet like a credit card.  You get in a jam, lose / forget your key, there it is, you get in the door.

If you call around and ask they might be able to do that for you with that key unless it's some really off the wall fancy kind of key.
Ive actually done this with trailer keys / lock keys too.   a small ass key is easy to drop, lose, forget, fall into a tiny place in your truck etc.  A credit card size, not so much.

Aaron

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2024, 11:43:16 PM »

I couldn't find photos of an SR/F key to compare to but apparently the blank is a Zadi ZD23RCP, so if yours looks like this then you can call up some locksmiths and see if they carry it or you can order one yourself and take it to them.

hotsauce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2024, 12:34:04 AM »

I couldn't find photos of an SR/F key to compare to but apparently the blank is a Zadi ZD23RCP...

No the 2023 SR/F apparently, as my key looks nothing like that. But thanks for the input!

hotsauce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2024, 12:34:53 AM »

Not sure this would work but.

May professional locksmiths have credit card keys.  It's literally a plastic credit card,you give them your key and they cut it's shape into the plastic and you keep it in your wallet like a credit card.  You get in a jam, lose / forget your key, there it is, you get in the door.

If you call around and ask they might be able to do that for you with that key unless it's some really off the wall fancy kind of key.
Ive actually done this with trailer keys / lock keys too.   a small ass key is easy to drop, lose, forget, fall into a tiny place in your truck etc.  A credit card size, not so much.

Aaron

I think checking with a locksmith is definitely the way to go.Thanks!

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2024, 01:12:00 AM »

I couldn't find photos of an SR/F key to compare to but apparently the blank is a Zadi ZD23RCP...

No the 2023 SR/F apparently, as my key looks nothing like that. But thanks for the input!
I found the info on a random reddit thread, I had a feeling the poster may have got it confused with the keys for the gen 2 bikes although Googling it didn't come up with any blanks that had the rounded shape. Whatever Zero is using for the gen 3 bikes will be a standard blank used by other manufacturers, they wouldn't go through the effort of getting their own proprietary one made, so a locksmith should be able to find out.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2024, 12:08:29 PM »

hotsauce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2024, 09:39:31 PM »

This is what you need:

https://youtu.be/flno2wFReyc?si=7LnixFL4z4TBezmk
Lol no it's not. Spending $150 instead of $87 is the opposite of a solution to my problem, and "I have to turn the bike on to open the tank" is just as annoying as "I have to turn the bike off to open the tank"

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2024, 01:00:50 AM »

This is what you need:

Lol no it's not. Spending $150 instead of $87 is the opposite of a solution to my problem, and "I have to turn the bike on to open the tank" is just as annoying as "I have to turn the bike off to open the tank"

$87 is just the cost of the blank, it will cost about $30 extra to also get it cut. And turning the bike on to open the tank requires less effort than taking a spare key out of the tank just to lock it because in that scenario you are then fumbling with 2 separate keys, one of which doesn’t work in the ignition.

Your spare key idea is good. My electric push button is better.

hotsauce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2024, 03:18:20 AM »

This is what you need:

$87 is just the cost of the blank, it will cost about $30 extra to also get it cut. And turning the bike on to open the tank requires less effort than taking a spare key out of the tank just to lock it because in that scenario you are then fumbling with 2 separate keys, one of which doesn’t work in the ignition.

Your spare key idea is good. My electric push button is better.

$117 is still less than $150, and the whole reason I'm posting is I'm not willing to spend that much money to solve this problem. The solution you're trying to get me to give you money for is not a solution to the problem I'm having. If it works better for you, awesome, go have fun. But don't threadjack trying to sell me something

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2024, 03:50:14 AM »

Put a piece of tape on the mechanism so it doesn't latch.  some velcro top and bottom on the lid so it closes an sticks.
Problem solved for about a dollar.

aaron

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2024, 03:55:27 AM »

$117 is still less than $150, and the whole reason I'm posting is I'm not willing to spend that much money to solve this problem. The solution you're trying to get me to give you money for is not a solution to the problem I'm having. If it works better for you, awesome, go have fun. But don't threadjack trying to sell me something

I’m not trying to get you to give me money or hijack the thread; I shared with you a solution I created and it is a solution that solves your problem. In your original post you stated you wanted a lockable push button. My solution is a lockable push button. It may not let you keep it unlocked while the bike is off but it has the added benefit of “locking” automatically and without having to carry 2 keys. Sorry if you didn’t like to hear about it. Maybe edit your original post to include that being able to keep the compartment unlocked when the bike is off is a requirement for your needs.

Bfgthomas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2024, 03:57:05 AM »

This is what you need:

You said in the original post you think it should be a lockable button so this guy posted a link to a lockable button 🤷???

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2024, 07:35:50 PM »

I am currently traveling but I recall my DSR/X key looks like the one sold on Koups page:

https://shop.koups.com/products/zero-motorcycles-fst-key-blank-sr-sr-f-sr-s-dsr-dsr-x-27-08205

Doing a google image search, leads me to key blanks on eBay for a KTM RC8 or a Ducati Monster;

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ktm+rc8+key+blank&_sacat=0&_nls=2&_dmd=2&rt=nc

https://www.ebay.ch/itm/403297346498

No guarantee either will work, and you still need to get the key cut by a locksmith, but considering the low price for these blanks compared to the price of the Zero key (with chip), buying one seems like a risk worth taking.   

Of course, your other option is find a real locksmith and see if they have a solution.   You will probably need to find one anyway to duplicate your key to the blank.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2024, 09:40:58 PM »

2 weeks over 400 views an no one stating they have been to a place with a good selection of blanks and a cutting machine.

My ktm freeride key the place found a blank and cut the key.  I had to file it a bit on one surface/area so it went in deeper,  They only charded me $2 or so and two of the guys must have spent 10 minutes looking and chatting about electric motorcycle and learning to take the key out of the fork lock before turning the handlebar.  I suppose I am a regular guy down at that hardware store (the University of Ct uses them lots which may have a bearing on why they have a super assortment of blanks.)  It might be more up to you to look at the blanks, they found the best one but there were others real close.
Pages: [1] 2