• September 08, 2024, 01:42:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Few noob questions about the user manual and bike  (Read 1016 times)

TNCreator

• View Profile
Few noob questions about the user manual and bike
« on: July 22, 2024, 07:37:52 PM »

Hey, at last I got my ribelle RS, it is stupid, I love it.

I have a few question tho, even after reading the user manual.

Is there detailed info about what each drive mode do ? Like between eco and rain, except for the top speed limit, they feel a bit similar.

Is the e-ABS configurable, or dependent on the drive mode ? It seems pretty paranoid, when driving on mountain roads it blinks all the time with regen on medium settings, and regen feels super inconsistent as a result.

There is a part of the manual that I dont understand, but I suspect it is a janky translation to french. The last "Info bubble" of the cruise control section states, as I translate it back to english :
"When cruise control is activated after a long press of the SET button, it is possible to fix the speed increased before with the throttle"
That does not make much sense, the only thing I could get out of it is while over-speeding the currently active cruise speed, long pressing SET will move the cruise control target to the current speed. But the way it is phrased seems weird.

thanks !
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 07:52:18 PM by TNCreator »

jotjotde

• View Profile
Re: Few noob questions about the user manual and bike
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2024, 11:28:55 AM »

Hi there, I hope your RS will give you as much fun as mine does for me.  ;D

Besides top speed the drive modes limit the throttle 'ramp' as well, i.e. in rain mode you can pull the throttle full but the speed increase will be dampened compared to e.g. urban mode. In the end, the power (the kilowatts) output are restricted. I am not sure, but I think in rain mode the traction control is more sensitive as well.
When my bike was new I fiddled with the eco mode, but that converts a racy Italian lady to a toothless grandma  ;) Everything is toned down to allow for maximum range - I keep that in mind if I should find myself with low SOC and no charger around.
Race mode means exactly that. Top speed of 200 km/h is allowed (if battery temp and SOC are in the right range) and you get maximum ampere output, i.e. the maximum kilowatt. Beware, on a warm day you can get the battery hot quite quickly in this mode. If the battery signal turns red, the bike goes into limp mode. Happened to me on the racetrack at 27 °C ambient. TBH I had the bike standing in the sun before that happened, obviously a bad idea.
I think most of us here go around mostly in urban mode. Top speed is limited to 180 km/h. Kilowatt output is also limited, but I don't know to what amount. Acceleration is still tremendous  8)

e-ABS: It is my understanding that this refers to a control device which manages regen during breaking. When you brake and slow down, the regen will also be dampened to allow coming to a standstill more smoothly.
Maybe you mean the traction control?

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2024, 02:36:02 PM »

Hey, at last I got my ribelle RS, it is stupid, I love it.

I have a few question tho, even after reading the user manual.

Is there detailed info about what each drive mode do ? Like between eco and rain, except for the top speed limit, they feel a bit similar.

Is the e-ABS configurable, or dependent on the drive mode ? It seems pretty paranoid, when driving on mountain roads it blinks all the time with regen on medium settings, and regen feels super inconsistent as a result.

There is a part of the manual that I dont understand, but I suspect it is a janky translation to french. The last "Info bubble" of the cruise control section states, as I translate it back to english :
"When cruise control is activated after a long press of the SET button, it is possible to fix the speed increased before with the throttle"
That does not make much sense, the only thing I could get out of it is while over-speeding the currently active cruise speed, long pressing SET will move the cruise control target to the current speed. But the way it is phrased seems weird.

thanks !

Welcome to the club!

The cruise control SET button allows you to adjust the selected cruise speed if you press it and hold it in, once cruise control is enabled, by using the mode button on the left set of controls to increase or decrease selected speed.

Ride modes... just play around with them until you find the one that feels best for you.  Hard to define precisely what they do besides power delivery differences related to throttle twist action.

The blinking lights can mean many things, often the regen adjusting to bumps in the road while under regen.  The more regen selected, the more lights you will see on uneven surfaces.

Does ABS activation even illuminate any lights?  Don't think so.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 02:39:37 PM by Pard »

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2024, 05:19:25 PM »

My manual says the red lights right at the top will come on if either Traction Control or eABS is triggered which makes sense because eABS is basicly just a form of TC. I don't think the friction brake ABS system has any indicator.

As for modes, I leave mine in sport mode all the time, never had a problem with overheating in normal road riding.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2024, 11:00:34 PM »

Rain mode, everything is dampened, it accellerates very slow so you dont spin out, lose traction.  Abs, TC are very sensitive.
eco mode, I think limits you to like 60 mph or so, to conserverange.
regular street mode, is almost wide open, not quite as aggressive and it will limit you to about 110 - 112 mph that I have seen.
race mode - lets you do what you want, full aggressive, upper limit 125 mph on ribelle 150 on Ego  ??? on corsica.

The traction control you have control over how aggressive it is, or maybe I should say, how sensitive it is.  Now if you are on bumpy roads, or just shitty gravelly, older potty pitty roads, it will activate often as it sees the tires slipping here and there.  it WILL reduce your throttle, it WILL reduce your regen too, it's purpose is to stop you from sliding.  What makes you slide?  Too much gas,  too much brake, so it takes away those inputs until the slide stops (for all practical purposes regen is seen as braking)

the cruise control, once you set it i believe you can use the mode or one of the buttons to bump it's setting up and down from what you had it set at.

Ive never turned mine red, even at the race track, though have had it solid yellow for a while.  Higher end yellow I have not seen that affect throttle yet, at least not on my bike but it CAN reduce your charging rate if you are fast charging.

I run my bike in full regen, I like it that way and just use the throttle to control most what i need to do, even when racing.  Yes of course you need brakes from time to time but it's nice to just one input control the bike and not have to play with them.  It's also nice not to have to monkey #$#$k with a clutch, shifter, worry about, am I in the right gear, speed range, power band etc etc.  Electric will spoil you very quickly.  You'll get back in your gas, on your gas and go oh man, this thing is so sluggish!

Aaron

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2024, 11:05:22 AM »

Not being a native speaker, I can only tell that the words are correct, but probably not well arranged  :P

There is indeed an additional function of the SET button. If you are in CC mode you can still accelerate using the throttle. If you press the SET button for about 2-3 seconds while on this higher speed, the CC will adjust the setpoint accordingly.
Honestly, I was not aware of this function up to today  ;D

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2024, 06:00:31 AM »

There is indeed an additional function of the SET button. If you are in CC mode you can still accelerate using the throttle. If you press the SET button for about 2-3 seconds while on this higher speed, the CC will adjust the setpoint accordingly.

I don't think this is a "thing" with the Experia...I've yet to try it though..might give it a shot on the way home.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

toothless

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2024, 05:15:47 AM »

Race mode is fully unlocked and will pop a wheelie. Everything below that will be less power. One way to put it at least.

The CC is so annoying to use with regen that I don't really use it, is there a better way of getting off CC?

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2024, 05:50:19 PM »

I think if you hold the button down for a few seconds it will deactivate the CC.   I just give the brakes, either front or back a slight touch and that deactivates the CC..

aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2024, 03:59:32 AM »

I think if you hold the button down for a few seconds it will deactivate the CC.   I just give the brakes, either front or back a slight touch and that deactivates the CC..

aaron

I have the CC buttons on my left handlebar now and it's much easier to operate, the CC on Energicas makes no sense and is difficult to operate with one hand.. I just wish the Energicas also had the microswitch on the throttle like the BMW's have....so when you slightly force the throttle to the off position it cuts the CC. With the CC on the left side I can just touch the button and it's sorted.

https://motoraldasse.ch/assembly-instructions-for-cruise-control-adapter-energica

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2024, 07:53:56 AM »

difficult to operate because of the reach, agreed.  now try that with gloves on,  lotta fun.  Never thought of moving them to the other handle bar, I honestly don't really use the CC a lot, it always seems like every time I set it, some clown gets in front of me and slows down, and I have to brake :D, and well, if  the highway IS open enough that I could cruise.. umm.  yah... im cruisin,

Aaron

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2024, 08:46:13 AM »

CC is nice for bumpy roads particularly when moving along at speed...since moving out to the country its become necessary...keeps the jerky throttle feedback at bay particularly when running high regen setting...
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2024, 05:05:23 PM »

i used to be able to say i lived out in the country but crap every time you turn around, god forbid there's 50 feet of land somewhere, someone is putting a fkn amazon warehouse on it :(  but we have the shitty roads!!  from all the building and the dump trucks tearing them up!   the only thing i really didn't like about it is they really  need to put a buffer when coming off it especially with a high regen, it's an attention getter!

Aaron
Pages: [1]