• June 26, 2024, 12:17:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Ribelle - talk me out of it !  (Read 2490 times)

SBK74

• View Profile
Re: Ribelle - talk me out of it !
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2024, 12:49:23 PM »

A lot of tracks don't have the necessary equipment or training/knowledge to deal with a potential battery fire. In some cases, like in The Netherlands, there have been instances of university student teams taking their homebrew bikes to the track and something went wrong resulting in a fire that caused damage to the track and paddock. As a result, it's my understanding that there was a time they banned electrics at all Dutch racetracks. I think it was an entire year. Marchel, who is one of the larger Dutch dealers for Energica and a huge track day enthusiast, was SUPER pissed off.

The Energica club Netherlands purchased the necessary safety equipment, and now with briefing track days are perfectly fine, if planned with the club. 

2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2024, 01:49:50 PM »

Hey man. If you want to fight with Marchel you be my guest.

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2024, 02:28:54 PM »

Hey man. If you want to fight with Marchel you be my guest.

I remember Marchel was not happy, but Marchel and the Energica club lobbied for track access; they advised in protocols and invested in the gear (extinguishers, DC chargers, nitril gloves, insulated hook etcetera) and now the club organizes track days. If an owner wants to drive on the track, it has to be with te necessary gear and race control notified, you cannot just go there and join a track day on an electric bike by yourself. Assen works like this. I don't know about Zandvoort, I have driven there with the EsseEsse9 in 2021 though.

https://energicaclub.nl/events/

2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2024, 12:48:36 AM »

Fortunately I have not seen any of these sort of issues, in fact they look forward to me showing up.  They get a real blast out of seeing the bike fly up behind someone on the track and hear it whizzing by like a space ship I've been called before.

Just for peace of mind, this is something I might want to self invest in, at least the blanket, and tell them if I ever wreck this thing really bad, just throw it out in the middle of the field, throw this blanket over it and I'll arrange to get it picked up.

I bring my own fast charger to the track, but have it toned WAYYYY down to only do 50 amps out of the Nema 14=50 that is available there.  The wiring there is outside and old as shit, not in the best shape.  I wonder if they'd let me set up a station to fast charge and hard wire it etc.  Supposedly this summer they are getting some of their power redone, maybe I can work with someone at the same time to get me a 100 amp station set up :D

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2024, 03:37:46 PM »

Regarding noisy chain:

Upwards from approx. 30 km/h the gear is the loudest part on my Ribelle. If you ask me, Energica put this spur-toothed gear on the bikes to expressly generate a sound, which I like very much (had a Zero SR/F before).

BTW, nice side effect: If you can hear the chain at 20 km/h it has to be replaced.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2024, 04:18:32 PM »

Yeah, once the chain starts to clatter on rolloff it's a convenient indicator that you need to tighten it up. It's a consistent thing I bring up when people talk about losing gears and exhaust which is your limited attention (however much of it you have) is freed up to concentrate on all the other stuff you were missing.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2024, 08:09:38 PM »

Regarding noisy chain:

Upwards from approx. 30 km/h the gear is the loudest part on my Ribelle. If you ask me, Energica put this spur-toothed gear on the bikes to expressly generate a sound, which I like very much (had a Zero SR/F before).

BTW, nice side effect: If you can hear the chain at 20 km/h it has to be replaced.

Yes sorry of course its the "straight cut or something" gear and not the chain itself. 
At higher speeds it's just mainly windnoise just like many other bikes.
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2024, 01:05:30 AM »

@Stonewolf,  or just idling,  maintenance throttle or gliding down it's making noise, yah it's time to tighten.
BUT on the other hand, if you are at idle and you are walking the bike or going real slow and can feel the bump bump of the motor poles, then it's too tight, you over tightened it,  back it off a flat or 2.

Aaron

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2024, 07:41:59 PM »

Unfortunately it seems you people aren't good at talking me out of it...

What about battery/motor issues with the bigger pack + mavel setup after 2021?

As far as I understand the newer Energicas mainly has an issue with continuous fastcharging. Let's leave the keycard out of it - I have no interest in that.
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2024, 08:27:53 PM »

I race mine, while I am nowhere near what would be considered an expert, I still pound the shit out of it, battery wise.
I'll slam the throttle trying to go as fast as I can go, for the 20 seconds or so I have to do so in the space that i am doing 140 MPH in, then hump the brakes and especially regen.  I use FULL regen and use it constantly to help me in turns, stopping, etc,  it's constantly being moved around.
Now whether that is helping or hurting my overall progress, remains to be seen but for the sake of this convo, im constantly moving current, often times LARGE amounts of it, in and out of the battery.

When I get into the paddock, Ill throw it on the fast charger to bring it up to 94 percent.  ( I don't do 100 percent, because as I said, I use regen and there needs to be a place to put it to use it ! )  Once it's charged, I'll get it and get me ready for my next 20 minute session of hammering the bike on the track.

Normal sessions, 20 minutes on,  40 off.

Better sessions, 30 minutes on,  30 off.  (low turnout days, they'll combine expert / Intermediate into one,  novice in other)

Premium sessions, open track, you do whatever you want  (this generally is when I am invited to a private group to race / play)  or if there is a rainout and most the people say, im takling my toys and I'm going home, but a few hard core dummies, such as me go, screw it, I paid for this, im racing in the rain!   

anyways, the bike is getting a fair amount of power transfer.
Now, my bike is pitch ass BLACK,  BLACK bike,   sitting in the hot ass Florida sun, charging, discharging....  Trust me, that black bike can get hot as shit under the sun, and the battery is right under those fairings, in that hot box.

Only once have I pushed it hard enough to run it into the Yellow, and THAT was when I let a professional racer use the bike who is capable of hitting 150 MPH or more on the back stretches, and much faster speeds overall than I currently am.

I hate standing blistering in the sun, especially wearing 25 pounds of Leather / Armor / Helmet/ ... you get the idea, so I set up a tarp / canopy.
Under the canopy the bike so far has never hit yellow let alone hard yellow.

Bike 2:

I ride my Ribelle on the highway,  I like to ride spirited.  Im not one of those assholes who wants to weave and zip in and out back and forth thru traffic, if there's traffic Ill stay my lane... that other shit is just too dangerous and sooner or later those clowns get pulled in front of and end up as road pizza.  NOW..... If I get an open spot, or bit of pavement that has no obstructions, I have been accused of opening the throttle up a bit.  Sunday mornings, fairly early,  for some reason, my throttle likes to get stuck when I open it, and sometimes it takes me several miles to figure out how to get it back down again... I need to work on that....

Fairly hard but consistent riding for MILES ..... charge.... go to next destination.
WHen it's July / August in Florida and blistering Fkn hot, mid 90s out.  Ive turned it yellow fairly often after say 20 minutes of harder running.
To date I really can not say where I have seen it curtail my fun power level.    Once or twice I have seen it back off my fast charge to say 40 amps or so,  if it's real bad, like I just did a WOT for 12 miles straight on a hot ass day, ive seen it limit me to 25 amps.. but I really need to be abusive to get it to do that,

Unless you are riding your bike hot and hard, I honestly do not  thing a normal user is going to have any issues with the battery charging and stuff like that.

If you live in North Florida or nearby, I'll take you for a track day and we can show you first hand if you want.

Aaron

Grauteufel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2024, 07:22:04 AM »

Maybe I’m just too soft, but the ribelle was just too wristy and cramped feeling for me. That is likely because I’m only allowed one bike, so it has to be ergonomically correct for every day use. The head down position also doesn’t make for the best traffic awareness.

You also have really want electric, the aprillia turbo/ducati monster with similar performance are less than half the price.

TF104

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2024, 09:02:41 AM »

also check on the cost of registration and insurance,  and i hope you have a dealer close  mt 2022 esse esse 9 required more trips back to the energica service
 center than all other new vehicles that i have owned combined.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2024, 12:59:20 PM »

Unfortunately it seems you people aren't good at talking me out of it...

I won't talk you out of it either  ;D
Owning a Ribelle for 22 months now with 43,000 km on the clock you can tell that I like it a lot.

Personally, I don't find the seating position so cramped, but that is of course depending on your body dimensions and your personal preferences. I never sat on the EsseEsse, there was no need bc I felt immediately good on the Ribelle.
About technical issues with the bike I can only say that I had only one major one which was solved by the excellent service person of the dealer within two days (he drove 160 km one way to dignose & then reinstall the FW). Before he did that, he contacted Energica and discussed with them what to do. So, I have no reason to distrust neither my dealer nor Energica.
[BTW totally different to Zero who knowingly fed my dealer and me false information about supply of a new battery bc the one in my SR/F was f**d up. In the end I gave the bike back under lemon law. So, yeah, if you want to buy a Zero I would try to talk you out of it.]
I am not a battery expert, but just looking at the numbers (21.5 kWh nameplate, real capacity approx. 18 kWh) I can tell there is a good safety margin included. In addition the software prohibits stressing the battery at the SOC high and low level by restricting charging input or power output. All that is pointing to a long life of the battery despite driving it hard.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2024, 03:26:42 PM »

I believe there's now an extended warranty to 5 years for Energicas as well which puts it on a par with Zero. I admit that was actually a critical factor in thinking "no" when I had the opportunity a couple of years ago before they had the 5 year warranty.

btw my experience with Zero and batteries has been good - exhibited magic charging after 2 years, took it to dealer, pulled the logs, agreed, battery replaced within 3 months no questions asked. And the new battery is excellent - I easily get 125 miles out of it.

Cas :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 03:30:14 PM by princec »

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2024, 04:25:22 PM »

I believe there's now an extended warranty to 5 years for Energicas as well which puts it on a par with Zero. I admit that was actually a critical factor in thinking "no" when I had the opportunity a couple of years ago before they had the 5 year warranty.

btw my experience with Zero and batteries has been good - exhibited magic charging after 2 years, took it to dealer, pulled the logs, agreed, battery replaced within 3 months no questions asked. And the new battery is excellent - I easily get 125 miles out of it.

Cas :)

You are right, Energica offers a two year warranty extension but just until May 31st.

Zero took 3 MONTHS to supply a battery? Sorry, but in my view that is totally inacceptable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4