• June 26, 2024, 12:16:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Ribelle - talk me out of it !  (Read 2489 times)

MrMogensen

• View Profile
Ribelle - talk me out of it !
« on: May 17, 2024, 07:21:01 PM »

What's the major (and minor) drawbacks of the Ribelle?

Is it mainly rapid charging that sometimes fail?
The keyfob bug (if opted)?
Battery issues (before/after warranty expires)?
Software/Screen hickups? Many threads about issues between software updates?
Something else?

I would only be interested in the newer motor and pack
About 2 years ago I tried a Ribelle RS and a Zero SR/F. Zero was fun but just felt like bad quality - even compared to my near 20yo Yamaha.

Won't ask about Superchargers as all of them has CCS in Europe. More likely they work with no adapter in between.

I browsed through the Energia section about 2 years ago and haven't looked much since. Been busy with work + renovating various stuff at the house we moved to.
Last season I rode nearly 0km on my Yamaha. Have used it alot for commuting before we (last year) moved close to my work. I had it for so long now - simply don't feel the urge to go for sunday rides on it. Wife complains her hair smells like gasoline but sometimes she might jump on the back if it's EV.
We had a Tesla Model 3 for about 4 years now - that has also kind of pushed me further towards an EV bike.

Funny sidenote: I talked with the new site leader (highest ranking manager at work) about bikes. I saw he was riding a newer FZ1. He didn't know anything about Energica and I showed him a picture of a Ribelle. He looked at me and said: "I am ordering you to buy that bike!" ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 07:26:12 PM by MrMogensen »
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

princec

• View Profile
Re: Ribelle - talk me out of it !
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 09:13:18 PM »

From my test ride - weight & height, price, chain (noise and grime), high likelihood of losing license  ;D count against it. Not being an owner though I couldn't comment on anything else.

Cas :)

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 09:16:44 PM »

I have a 2023 Rebelle RS. 

It is a great bike that will not fit every need, just like any other bike.

What is your specific intended use for the bike?

That is really the main consideration.   If the bike can fill that mission role, you will love it, if not you will be disappointed.

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 10:08:36 PM »

From my test ride - weight & height, price, chain (noise and grime), high likelihood of losing license  ;D count against it. Not being an owner though I couldn't comment on anything else.

Which one did you try? I tried out the Ribelle and going from an SR/F with a chargetank, it felt less top heavy. I found it quite easy to maneuver in slow speeds (no reverse needed) and not any worse than my SR/F.
I have sat on Morgan's older SS9 and that was a heavy bike for me! Ribelle not so much
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 10:58:44 PM »

Ribelles are great, what's gonna be a problem for you depends what your use case is. If you just wanna do like 100 or 150 miles on a sunny Saturday afternoon and *maybe* charge once then it's hard to fault. If you wanna tour with it then Energica's (all of them really) achilles heel is thermal management and you'll need to dial back the charge rate a little and make sure to leave enough time between charges for the battery to cool off a bit.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2024, 12:56:43 AM »

Ribelle RS+. Weight is approx the same as the SS9. Felt *much* heavier than my SR/F+Charge tank - mostly because the weight is much higher up. Although I did find that made it handle a little better than the Zero... the SR/F feels very stable with its low COG but this of course has the side effect of needing to lean it far further to get it to turn at the same rate.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2024, 05:53:36 AM »

Ribelle and EGO are pretty much the same power train,ego is tweaked a bit higher.  I have a racing ego, tweaked even higher, MUCH higher, I have done back to back to back to back sessions on the track, 20 minutes or so each, come in, charge up at 35 amps (the most a 50 amp feed will let me do) right back out, and never hit yellow with it.  hitting speeds 135 occasionally 140 on the track.  Maybe if it was 98 degrees out it'd see it, as I DO see yellow sometimes on my Ribelle when Ive been romping it hard on the highway, but were talking being stupid, triple digits for 5 or 6 minutes straight.

The charging is nice because you can use simple house current from 115 ac, 240 ac, or the fast charge CCS1 to charge it so you have plenty of ways To charge it, you really won't be stranded anywhere, just may take a bit to charge on 115volts.

What do you want it for. It's a fun bike but, what is your use intent for it.

It IS a bit heavy overall, and top heavy  so lower speeds, like under 6 mph you CAN get into trouble very fast if you say, take a fairly sharp turn or tap the front brake.  once you are going faster than this, she handles very well. 

If I am doing 40 - 50 mph or so,  some 35  mph rural,  some 55 - 60 mph light highway mix, I can get about 200 miles per charge.  If I am doing 75 to 80 on the highway, I can get around 100 miles per charge,  (trust me, you want to take a bit of a rest after 100 miles)  if Im doing faster, it runs down quicker.  WOT will eat a battery in about 30 miles.

The upright seating position is a lot  nicer than the aggressiveness of the EGO for casual riding.

Aaron

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2024, 11:36:33 AM »

A Ribelle, the early oil cooled variant, Rinehart drive, non-RS fitted w/ Ohlins / OZ wheels, dated firmware w/o nuisance alerts and Givi top box is still the ultimate sport-utility eBike, IMO.

Did Energica ever race the water cooled variant before they got out of MotoE?
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2024, 02:07:12 PM »

I believe Stefano is racing the water cooled one now.

The keyfob one, I am thinking the fob itself is causing a lot of the grief.  Ive been watching it closely and find that putting a piece of tin foil, paper towel etc in on top of the battery to press it down a tiny bit harder to make sure it KEEPS contact in there, helps reduce the alarms probably about 90 percent.  The battery gets loose IMO and loses contact, meaning the fob no longer talks to the bike so the not in range error.

Aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2024, 11:04:21 PM »

I just didn't spec keyless because I'm an IT professional and it honestly just doesn't feel like a worthwhile option.

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2024, 07:18:40 PM »

Thank you all for the detailed answers and recommendations:

I tested the Ribelle RS back in 2022 when the Mavel motor was a new thing. I have tried to just sit on a EVA and EGO. There was something about the EVA I disliked - possibly the seat itself. The EGO racing position (and bad manoeuvrability at low speeds) would be hard to get used to when I have had the FZ6 (and liked it) for so many years. Ribelle fels like it has a slightly more aggresive seating positions that the FZ6 and the way the seat is carved out is also quite similar.

Intended use:

Since we moved quite close to my workplace I wouldn't be commuting on the EV bike (I got about 3 minutes on a bicycle haha).
Intented use would be the sunday drives that I rarely did on the FZ6 (since I commuted alot on it). I would also, maybe once a year, attend a track courses or track day(s). I attended a track course (theory + obstacle course + racetrack) several times with my FZ6 and it was great.

Most of chargning would be at home. I already have a setup with 3x16A Type2 (part of CCS2) for the car. Cable is 5 meters and would easily reach where bike is parked. I know that Energica only supports 1-phase AC but it's of no concern with my intended use.
I guess most popular racetracks have fastchargers these days. Since trackdays and longer trips would only be few times a year I am less concerced about the thermal management. By longer trips I mean when I can't get home again on same charge. I know the 400 km range is for city riding and I shouldn't expect more than 250 ish for mixed (especially if battery should mostly only be charged to 80% like with most EVs).
Another small part of intented use would be occasional rides with my wife. She likes short sunday rides as passenger but she seriously hates her hair smelling like gasoline until she washed it 3 times (exhaust under the backseat doesn't help). Passenger seat on the Ribelle does not look comfortable at all but then again it's not often and would never be long trips.

"princec" mentioned the noisy chain. I agree it did sound a but much - but then again the Zero SR-F I tried was what I would call deadly silent... 5 seconds into that testride and I nearly rammed a guy who walked right in front of me on the dealers parkinglot.
I agree on the weight comments that the SR-F felt like a but more work on the twisties while the Ribelle felt more natural (again maybe weight distribution is, even though it is heavier, similar to my current FZ6.
/// MrMogensen ///

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2024, 07:40:53 PM »

"intended use would be sunday drives"

In that case make sure you only need 90 miles max to allow for a buffer and prevent the anxiety of running out of juice.  If that is the mission, the Energica is second to none.

Track use may be limited.  many tracks forbid electric.  Check on that first if it really matters.  My local tracks do not allow Electric vehicles.

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2024, 09:51:22 PM »

Noted about the sunday drives buffer thing.

Why the ban of EV's on a track?
The track where I had some courses (Denmarks biggest track) put up a fastcharger with 2 outlets. This was maybe 4 years ago.
I will check out (or email) whatever tracks seem reasonably close to me (Denmark and southern Sweden).
/// MrMogensen ///

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2024, 10:11:43 PM »

A lot of tracks don't have the necessary equipment or training/knowledge to deal with a potential battery fire. In some cases, like in The Netherlands, there have been instances of university student teams taking their homebrew bikes to the track and something went wrong resulting in a fire that caused damage to the track and paddock. As a result, it's my understanding that there was a time they banned electrics at all Dutch racetracks. I think it was an entire year. Marchel, who is one of the larger Dutch dealers for Energica and a huge track day enthusiast, was SUPER pissed off.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2024, 02:59:24 AM »

Yeah for Sunday rides I'd say 100 to 20 percent is about 150ish km for me as a rule of thumb but I've been on plenty of rides where I've beaten that which is nice.

Incidentally, I've had a couple of fairly slight friends take short rides on the back, the accommodations are ... basic. The rear end is moulded into a shape you can get your hands into and grip onto beneath the seat but it lacks proper handles, the seat is also, you know, a thin pad of hard foam with leathery stuff stretched over it. Your wife will need to hold on tight as the ride can be a bit hard and you'll wanna go easy on the throttle both for her own comfort and because there's nothing stock or aftermarket to stop here falling off the back should you decide to rip it with those 215Nm.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4