• October 01, 2024, 08:38:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rear View Mirrors  (Read 1317 times)

jotjotde

• View Profile
Rear View Mirrors
« on: January 23, 2024, 04:51:43 PM »

For some time now I am looking for rear view mirrors to substitute the original ones which do not work well for me. In spite 18 months of tinkering I could not find a satisfying setting. The stems appear to me to be not long enough, so the rear view is very much limited. Besides that I would prefer mirrors which are spheric on the outer side to reduce the blind angle.

During my search I found the manufacturer who produces the Energica original mirrors. It's Italian company FAR. The price of the mirror there is quite lower (38 €) than if you purchase it at Energica (45 €). So in case you need a new one, here's the link to FAR website.
https://www.far-ecommerce.com/en/universal-handlebar/330-universal-handlebar-code-7449-sx.html

Currently I think I better go with bar end mirrors. What keeps me from buying is the fact that it makes the handlebar even wider and I already struggle to wiggle the bike out of the carport between car and doorpost.

Pard

• View Profile
Re: Rear View Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 06:30:13 PM »

I run these FAR mirrors.

They are perfect on this bike.  Not an issue maneuvering the bike in tight spaces.  The mirrors fold in easily.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 08:18:24 PM »

what about when you are at speed?  are the mirrors sturdy enough to stay or will they want to flop in like the E's will unless you tighten them down pretty good?

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 08:21:28 PM »

what about when you are at speed?  are the mirrors sturdy enough to stay or will they want to flop in like the E's will unless you tighten them down pretty good?

They have adjustable tension.  Even at low tension they stay in place even at 3 digit speeds (track only of course).  I use them on all my bikes.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 08:24:33 PM by Pard »

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 09:04:37 PM »

In the USA you can by the FAR mirrors here:

https://moto-science.com/

He also makes custom mirrors if you have a design in mind.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 12:57:43 PM »

I run these FAR mirrors.

They are perfect on this bike.  Not an issue maneuvering the bike in tight spaces.  The mirrors fold in easily.

Hi Pard, I had these already selected as a potential buy  :D  After your recommendation they are now at the top of my list.
@Aaron: Wouldn't these be something for you as well? You could fold them in when you take your Ribelle to the track.

The only alternative I see are the Puig Explorer mirrors (Spanish manufacturer) which can be adjusted in multiple ways, even the stem can be extended by 30 mm.
Looks a bit bulky, though.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 01:09:12 AM »

Most tracks don't like mirrors on bikes, and suggest you remove them, or at minimum tape them over for the obvious reasons.  1. glass hazard after a wreck,  2. Noob don't need to see how close the guy behind him is, he needs to concentrate on what's in FRONT of him!!

However I am looking at these, being ergal mounted, they look like they'd be pretty easy to plug in and out.  Right now my regular mirrors on the bike, one has a bent stem and Ill probably end up breaking it trying to get it off, so these will probably be a lot better for me since I DO have to take them on and off.

The only drawback is when you drop the bike, the are right on the end, they are the first thing that is going to hit when it tips over.  Yes Yes Iknow, keep the tires down dumbass, but stuff happens!!  I Do like the fact that they are physically out further, it lets you get a better angle on your side, to see that blind spot a bit better and down the road looking wayyyyy back for blue flashing.

Ilike to keep my mirrors so I can see the lane next to me, as close up to the bike as the mirror will allow, along side me as far as it allows, and if i set the mirror correctly I can crane a bit and look down the road as well.  I still ALWAYS turn my head and look when switching lanes, even when cutting up a bit, the last thing you want to do is clip someone with a tire because you didn't see them and miscalculated a duck and dive.  I don't make it a habit of cutting up thru traffic but sometimes shit is happening you just have to get around for your own safety.  The ribelle too, makes it sooo easy, it spoils you.  After riding the bike, I get into my truck or a car and it's like gaah  this ICE is so sluggish, come ON lets GO...

Aaron

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 03:33:06 AM »

Those mirrors are easy to put on and take off.  I tape the glass at the track.  I keep them on to serve as lever protectors if I should lowside.

It is a robust piece and would likely protect the levers if the bike falls down.

I have yet to test that assumption with those mirrors.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024, 09:35:42 AM »

Hopefully you don't test that assumption but t he mirror is probably cheaper and easier to get than Energica OEM parts. 
so you leave them on for just that purpose? to protect the lever?  Ill have to look into them for the Ribelle

aaron

Pard, which model did you get, I am not seeing where he has Energica listed
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 09:37:36 AM by Specter »

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 12:49:24 PM »

Yeah, head turn before changing direction/lane is an absolute must! The dead angle of the Energica mirrors are HUGE  :(

These foldable FAR bar end mirrors are more expensive than the Energica OEM, but as Pard wrote they are acting as lever protectors.

The original name is FAR 'Viper Shield Level'.
Part No. 7490DX (right) and 7491SX (left). Price is 59 € each plus 12 € for the bar end mount.
https://www.far-ecommerce.com/en/bar-end-universal/291-viper-shield-level-cod-7491-sx.html

BTW don't forget to order two thread plugs for the then usused mirror mounts.
Superior solution would be to get two bar clamps without the mirror mount. That would look sleek!

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2024, 02:18:26 PM »

thank you jojo.  bar mounts umm not sure I have much room left for that, I have other stuff mounted too.  coffee cup holder, which I am probably moving to a bolt on the handlebar hold down once I get the fuckers out, they'll need to be drilled unfortunately  and I have a tire pressure monitor there too so real estate is a bit prime. :D

thanks for the info Ill get those on order
Aaron

Edit or I could remove the mirrors and put these in their place, but I kind of like them sticking out like they do...A
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 02:23:42 PM by Specter »

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2024, 04:06:24 PM »

Hopefully you don't test that assumption but t he mirror is probably cheaper and easier to get than Energica OEM parts. 
so you leave them on for just that purpose? to protect the lever?  Ill have to look into them for the Ribelle

aaron

Pard, which model did you get, I am not seeing where he has Energica listed

I had originally ordered the viper mirrors from moto science to put on a Hypermotard.  He suggested the 7490/91 mirrors and they have fit perfectly on that bike, an Aprillia Tuono and now also on the Rebelle.

Those mirrors are also available on ebay.  Personally, I like buying from motscience.  Good service.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2024, 06:14:23 PM »

On the Rebelle

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2024, 06:36:41 PM »

For maximum crash protection you can also go with bark busters and fit mirrors.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2024, 11:43:41 PM »

Ill probably stick with the first ones you shown,  the race bike already has brake protectors on it.  They do look nice though, and will probably give a much better view behind you

aaron
Pages: [1] 2