• October 01, 2024, 06:31:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Chain wear .vs. Powerful Regen  (Read 2686 times)

SBK74

• View Profile
Re: Chain wear .vs. Powerful Regen
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2024, 03:20:40 PM »

Both in my SS9 and the Ribelle, I have regularly changed front sprockets, varying from 10k km to 15k km. This was for ride comfort (rattling noises, squeak/click on initial acceleration) and to prolongue chain life in general.

The initial force of the Ribelle RS in sport mode is out of this world compared to my old SS9. My RS was a demo till 7k km, so at 10k, I really wanted to change the front sprocket.

Sprocket sizes and tool types indeed as already described here. I do want to mention that the job of changing does need some attention: Loosening the nut needs a good breaker bar and the torque for mounting is 190Nm. For rear sprocket I mounted a black Sitta 44t 525 for Marchesini wheels.

2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2024, 11:36:43 PM »

My high-power liter bikes had as much compression braking as regen, maybe more.  I'm planning to ride one side by side with my SR/S soon to be sure.  My previous sport bike, a CBR1100XX, would slow down HARD at 10k RPM with the throttle closed.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2024, 01:07:54 AM »

Both in my SS9 and the Ribelle, I have regularly changed front sprockets, varying from 10k km to 15k km. This was for ride comfort (rattling noises, squeak/click on initial acceleration) and to prolongue chain life in general.

I changed my Experia front sprocket very early, at less than 1000km .....but it was to fit a 16t instead of the OEM 15t to help correct the silly speedo error. I changed out the OEM chain and sprockets at ~12700km, sprockets were still in good condition but I found the chain had a couple of tight links, so replaced it with a DID ZVMX 520 gold chain and aluminium rear sprocket....much better.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2024, 02:37:42 AM »

Looking thru the different sprocket configs available.
It looks like you can add a few teeth to the front sprocket, and knock several teeth off the rear sprocket.  With the HP and Torque this bike has, I doubt you'll see much performance degradation, but if one were to really get radical and knock say 4 or 5 teeth out of the rear, I bet you could get close to EGO top end on the Ribelle, although the speedo would be off, I use gps anyways so, no biggie.

wonder if this would work?

Also wondering, if the total tooth count between front and rear was kept the same, would the chain length stay the same too or need to be adjusted as well?

Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2024, 04:48:25 AM »

Looking thru the different sprocket configs available.
It looks like you can add a few teeth to the front sprocket, and knock several teeth off the rear sprocket.  With the HP and Torque this bike has, I doubt you'll see much performance degradation, but if one were to really get radical and knock say 4 or 5 teeth out of the rear, I bet you could get close to EGO top end on the Ribelle, although the speedo would be off, I use gps anyways so, no biggie.

wonder if this would work?

Also wondering, if the total tooth count between front and rear was kept the same, would the chain length stay the same too or need to be adjusted as well?

Aaron

A few teeth on the front & rear sprockets will have a dramatic effect on the speedo reading. I found just one tooth extra on the front from 15t to 16t changed the speedo ~7-8kmh, it's now reading spot on. I'm still running the stock 52t on the rear as well.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Dryer667

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2024, 09:10:56 AM »

Specter - the nut is a KM5 nut and needs the same socket as jotjotde specified. Unfortunately the cost is going to be over $100USD for reasons I cant explain. The only sockets I could find came from Europe and weren't cheap. https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p210006/SKF-TMFS5-Lock-Nut-Socket-for-KM5-KMK5-KMF5/product_info.html

jotjotde - I did some super long road trips in some pretty rough conditions but cleaned and maintained very regularly. On one of my trips (Salt Lake City to LA and back) I had a day where I was riding through snow and slush for 200 miles so I have put my bike through a lot.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2024, 01:04:30 PM »

At amazon.de you get the groove nut key KM5 for about 25 €. This is surely not the best quality, but for the occasional use it should be good.
If you are interested, here is the link.
https://www.amazon.de/BGS-8327-5-Nutmutternschl%C3%BCssel-Zapfen-liegend/dp/B084GP849S/ref=pd_vtp_d_sccl_2_5/260-8446105-1023446?pd_rd_w=2YPpk&content-id=amzn1.sym.58bc6d2f-2533-4b11-8c9c-a330359ee496&pf_rd_p=58bc6d2f-2533-4b11-8c9c-a330359ee496&pf_rd_r=J1523QJKT0K1RWVW2NF2&pd_rd_wg=qcGxi&pd_rd_r=b3f95f17-cc4b-47ba-9dfb-ed19680ee59f&pd_rd_i=B084GP849S&psc=1

@Dryer667: According to my experience from cycling chain and sprockets really suffer in wet conditions. Inside the water spray coming from the tyres there is always fine/superfine stuff suspended which actually acts as a grinding medium. That quickly removes any lubrication and wears down chain and sprockets.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2024, 08:08:30 PM »

Specter - the nut is a KM5 nut and needs the same socket as jotjotde specified. Unfortunately the cost is going to be over $100USD for reasons I cant explain. The only sockets I could find came from Europe and weren't cheap. https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p210006/SKF-TMFS5-Lock-Nut-Socket-for-KM5-KMK5-KMF5/product_info.html

AF1 racing, which I believe is an Energica dealer, they had the socket for like 32 dollars I think it was.  It's currently out of stock but was very reasonably priced, i got one on order.

https://www.af1racing.com/ENS002237-Energica-Hexagon-Socket

SilentPea

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2024, 08:14:17 PM »

the AF1 "hexagon socket" above is listed for swingarm removal and a couple other places, not the countershaft.
 The "sprocket socket" is over 200USD and backordered: https://www.af1racing.com/ENS001870-Energica-Sprocket-Socket

I spent some time looking around and it seems like there's a bunch of 4wd components and other ones listed in inch sizes for anywhere from 25-50 USD, but I'm not confident in the (un)listed measurements to buy any.

There's a french ebay seller that has the right KM5 sockets for ~25euro but their US store only has the external tooth version.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2024, 10:49:50 PM »

whoops, my bad.  Thanks for the catch.  I didn't see that one you listed when I looked earlier but got one on order as well.
Now to get all the stuff to come in

aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2024, 01:23:52 AM »

I originally made a "sprocket socket" from an old deep socket I had laying around....using a hack saw & file...works fine.

I've since bought one of these...Just shy of 30 Euros...or about $33 USD.

https://www.bgs-shop.de/en/BGS/Sockets/Special-Sockets/Rivet-Nut-Inserts/Groove-Nut-Socket-external-tooth-KM5.html

Also works fine.

The Experia uses 520 chain and sprockets so I'm using an Aprillia RSV/Tuono 520 front sprocket as they're often much cheaper than using OEM Energica sprocket. Rear sprocket is a Vortex Aluminium item, a little more difficult to get though.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 01:33:05 AM by smithy »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2024, 01:31:11 AM »

Well, after checking again, yah, I need a new chain.  This one has very tight spots in some areas and sloppy in others and you can hear it grumbling in places as it goes around the front sprocket.  Ill have to pamper it until I get the new chain / sprockets in and the tool to put them on then.

Good news, my Corsa Cliente is arriving hopefully on Monday and Ill have something dedicated for the track now! 

Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2024, 01:37:21 AM »

Good news, my Corsa Cliente is arriving hopefully on Monday and Ill have something dedicated for the track now!  Aaron

Photos when it arrives please....not many of these out in the wild.

Smithy.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2024, 02:26:12 AM »

Will do, its supposed to be here monday sometime but lets see what happens with weather and all.

Aaron

ps shit ill have to wait a full week to get to the track with it, dammit.  well i might take a quick romp down a back road, to blow the carbon out of the pipes, . that long trip you know :D :D

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2024, 12:13:44 PM »

Aaron, please give feedback about how the change of the front sprocket went.

It is my understanding that the tightening torque is somewhere  in the region of 160-190 Nm  :o :o :o
Applying such torque with the rear wheel blocked with something will probably a pain in the butt.
Pages: 1 [2] 3