• October 01, 2024, 02:27:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 12 Volt Module and RF inteference with Bike.  (Read 875 times)

Specter

• View Profile
12 Volt Module and RF inteference with Bike.
« on: December 10, 2023, 08:30:05 PM »

Hello everyone:
Looking to install some 12 volt appliances, we'll call them.. on my bike.

Energica's voltage conversion module that puts out the 12 volts.  How many amps can that thing put out max?  Can it handle 10 Amp or so?

also, would mounting, say a Ham Radio on the bike running in the 2M and 10M band potentially cause an issue with the bikes electronics?

Thanks
Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
Re: 12 Volt Module and RF inteference with Bike.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 01:37:01 AM »

Hello everyone:
Looking to install some 12 volt appliances, we'll call them.. on my bike.

Energica's voltage conversion module that puts out the 12 volts.  How many amps can that thing put out max?  Can it handle 10 Amp or so?

also, would mounting, say a Ham Radio on the bike running in the 2M and 10M band potentially cause an issue with the bikes electronics?

Thanks
Aaron

Experia USB & OBD ports are on the same fuse...and it's 15amps....assuming the other bikes would be similar..??

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 03:59:46 AM »

Thanks smithy.  Thing is, just because it's fused at 15 A,  unfortunately does not necessarily imply it can handle that much at constant load.

Ill have to take a good look if I can find the module.  My other concern, how is the bike going to behave with close RF?  Hell maybe the keyfob will quit alarming when it's right there :D  :P  Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 06:02:47 AM »

Thanks smithy.  Thing is, just because it's fused at 15 A,  unfortunately does not necessarily imply it can handle that much at constant load.

Ill have to take a good look if I can find the module.  My other concern, how is the bike going to behave with close RF?  Hell maybe the keyfob will quit alarming when it's right there :D  :P  Aaron

True about the USB current draw. The manual mentions "up to" 2 amps load for the USB ports.

I know the keyless system doesn't like having a phone close by...I have a "Quadlock" wireless charging phone mount on my Experia and it doesn't like it when I have my phone mounted with the Bluetooth and Wifi running....I wonder if there's too many stray frequencies floating about.??
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 08:47:03 AM »

By, it doesn't like, what exactly do you mean by that?  what does it do.
Also my cardo, i can hear the bike 'talking' sometimes when there is no music playing between tracks and stuff.

But on that, I can guarantee you, that NO the bikes electronics will NOT like RF around it.  NO electronics really do.  I was thinking of mounting the 2m antenna on the ass end of the bike to keep it away from the front / brain, but am curious if even that is safe.  I really don't want to key down and shut the bike down.   They make basically vox operated bluetooth mic's now for radios that seem pretty cool, as you obviously can NOT be holding a mic and talking on the radio while driving, that'd be a very bad move safety wise IMO.

Also, I have a 12 volt coffee cup / french press, that you can basically throw cold water and coffee into, 20 minutes later, press it down and hot coffee at your service!  Was pondering that for my cup holder. (If I ever get that fknbolt out)

Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 10:34:52 AM »

By, it doesn't like, what exactly do you mean by that?  what does it do.
Aaron

I mean the keyless FOB, and I suspect the keyless sensor does't like the frequencies....even with my FOB in the Frunk which is less than 1 foot away from the sensor, I can get "Key not in range" errors if the phone is mounted on my handlebars....when it's not near the sensor I don't get any keyless issues now.

Before I fitted the new keyless module and sensor, with new FOB, passive & master keys, it was inevitable that the Key not in range error wold pop up at least 4-5 times a ride.....even if I didn't have my phone with me.

Smithy.

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 11:47:59 PM »

I've used 2M and 70cm handhelds on motorcycles with no issues.  I had a 60w in my Jeep.  The key fob is likely to be on 315MHz, possibly 433 with a Euro bike.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 12:17:53 AM »

Thanks Swamp:

Ill start low and work my way up but TBH I can generally hit all the repeaters on 25  watt so don't forsee any huge need for power unless we get a hurricane that starts knocking shit out, at which point tho Id probably migrate to 10M.

The keyfob thing,  I get that all the time too, even now I am seeing after the update, still get the key not in range and the damned thing is laying right on the dash on the angry eyeball during a charge!

I had a Saturn L300 that I ran some power in,  the 2m was 100 watts, the 10m i had a huge amp in there that needed AC to power so when playing around on outings etc id bring a battery bank and an inverter for that.  I don't intend on pushing any hard power on the bike, that'd be asking for problems given it's nature etc but a small radio would be nice.

I won't even get into my Pre Ham days when I was running 5k on CB bands... in my car,  ooh the stupidity of youth :)

Aaron

davidrnewman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 01:41:56 AM »

Experia USB & OBD ports are on the same fuse...and it's 15amps....assuming the other bikes would be similar..??

Smithy.

What about the AUX outputs next to the fuse box on the Experia?

davidrnewman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 02:54:01 AM »

I just received this PDF on how to connect 12V devices from my dealer.
Pages: [1]