• September 29, 2024, 08:28:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Quiet Moto Diplomacy  (Read 973 times)

Commodore

• View Profile
Quiet Moto Diplomacy
« on: December 10, 2023, 09:17:32 AM »

Around where I am there are a lot of scenic country roads where many people bike or walk.  I've gotten into the habit of giving a toot when coming up on people, and waving when I pass.  Seems to do some good from the waves I see in the rear view mirror.

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Quiet Moto Diplomacy
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 09:38:51 AM »

That always helps to let people know you are coming up on them.  Especially if they are walking or biking or whatever.  Last thing anyone needs is for someone to step out in front of you because they did not hear you there right behind them.  The bike does make a bit of a whine at speeds but many don't seem to pay attention or notice it.

Ive beeped in stop and go traffic too on occasion, especially if there is a merge or other type of lane shift / convergence, just a friendly reminder, HEY, Im HERE, don't run into me.

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 08:08:21 PM »

California bicycle riders always seem to be very upset when they are in front of you and you toot your horn to let them know you are behind them and want to pass - especially when they are riding in a group and weaving all over the road.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 08:16:32 PM »

The horn thing just makes sense IMO.  Half these idiot kids wear their earbuds and can't hear a F'n thing going on around them anyways, so assuming they know you are there is just asking for trouble.  Especially on an E bike that is quiet as it is, anything to help YOU in the court system when Chad and Muffy sue you for being in their way when they weave into the middle of the road is a plus.

God forbid you do ever get into an accident involving pedestrians, you KNOW the lawyer will try to use the bikes quietness to try to skeez cash out of you.

You don't need to lay on the horn of course but a quick tap never hurt, and you could just say you did it to get their attention to wave hello to them if they want to snowflake out on you over it.

Aaron

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 10:33:42 PM »

I'd say the hikers' and bikers' reaction will depend on the style of using the horn. Pressing it long gives quite a different message than pressing it twice very shortly. If I were the addressee, I' certainly prefer the latter.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Richtea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 03:18:17 AM »

I'd say the hikers' and bikers' reaction will depend on the style of using the horn. Pressing it long gives quite a different message than pressing it twice very shortly. If I were the addressee, I' certainly prefer the latter.
The distance/time from the cyclists matters too. It's quite unnerving to be tooted from close by whilst cycling, so make sure you give them several seconds to adjust to your presence.
And just a single short toot will do - we're not all deaf. Eh?

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 05:23:37 AM »

So bikers don't have rear view mirrors to keep track of what's behind them?  I know if I was riding on a vehicle road i'd sure as hell want to know what's crawling up my backside.  One tard on a phone weaving off the road and you are toast.

Aaron

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 12:04:04 PM »

So bikers don't have rear view mirrors to keep track of what's behind them?  I know if I was riding on a vehicle road i'd sure as hell want to know what's crawling up my backside.  One tard on a phone weaving off the road and you are toast.

I ride all the time with a dork mirror (attached to the helmet and sticking out). I don't know if it would give enough warning to evade being hit from the rear, but it certainly helps know when to move left or right, when to hit a pothole rather than swerving around it, how many cars I need to let pass before I turn left, etc.

I took the bell off my bike because nobody hears it. 75% of walkers are using headphones or earphones. My hub freewheel ratchet is so loud it's better than a bell anyway.

Zekoslav_Mrkva

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 09:39:16 AM »

California bicycle riders always seem to be very upset when they are in front of you and you toot your horn to let them know you are behind them and want to pass - especially when they are riding in a group and weaving all over the road.

Critical Mass-holes
2024 Energica Experia

numist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 02:16:47 AM »

This is why I installed a bicycle bell!

The spandex-clad contingent will start trying to pull away from the e-bike behind them only to find they're staking their pride against a very different kind of e-bike.
Pages: [1]